Things to put in TresEd :)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Re: Things to put in TresEd :)

Post by enigma »

Request: A working version with most if not all the capabilities of the original tresed.
Edit: then some nice new features, and the interface more or less the same.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

I personally think a more fresh approach would be desirable. In the end, it will certainly be able to do the various TresEd operations and a lot more. Still, I believe starting from "scratch" with the actual programming, as Rex is doin, will be preferable. There are some basic elements of TresEd which are not necessarily desirable and would be best to avoid before they are gotten to (such as, proper instance order management, not defaulting to the installation's \data directory, etc.). Rex has even talked about the possibility of "activating" physics in a pseudo-game mode :mrgreen: Of course, before that can even begin to work, we'll need the WTD format interpretation working, which was not even fully accomplished with TresEd. :?

Heeeyyy. We have the source to TPDC, right? It seems to me the good ol' GUIApp was used for working on dinosaurs, in some capacity, maybe. Basically seems to have been usable as an environment for working on any group of models including a single dino. Soooo... Maybe a TPM-opener function of the app could open a TPM as a scene, and include all the controls of TPDC, using its source (with full credit obviously). 8) Just an idea..

Oh and Rex, I know you wanted to make a new model format for use in Trespasser. I kinda like how it is now, with values as separate - among other reasons, non-TPM formats (such as 3DS, whenever it's used) still need values somehow..

Oh yeah. The insert-mesh function of TresEd is currently highly unrecommendable, because it has to take the mesh out of the GRF and there's no telling which geometry type it will use, which is an easy way to get a crash without realizing the cause. If you could implement this feature (with other simple models as well) and have it actually WORK, that'd be great. Since the idea is to combine all the apps, TresEd+ would be able to edit the GRF etc. properly to insert a new mesh (without getting it out of the level), and also of course the option to create a mesh should come with the question of what kind of object it is to be (desired class and/or bounding volume, etc.).

EDIT: Just a thought. Perhaps you could still make a secondary file format to be used, which combines EVERYTHING - model data, values, textures. Single file for the lot. This would expediate moving things between levels tremendously...
Aha! The file format can be known as .BWB
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

hello lads.... Another year or so has passed :). Just stopping by to see how everthing is. I hardly recognize this place anymore! :)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Welcome back IsToR! We got a beta of the game :) That's one thing you missed ;) It got PV!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Thanks!

Yup, I noticed the beta :)...

...And that's frikkin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If it had only turned up like 8 years ago.... :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome back... TC levels have arisen from the dead in new forms, and the planned TC River has been replaced by Rebel's TC Rescue. I still want to know what was planned for River.. And JPDS plods along as it has.. gettin pretty tired of it and my team mates are not assisting very much :P And the beta yes. Tatu has been contacting every developer of every game, also, and getting some fine results.. Other than that it's business as usual atm.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Tatu has been contacting every developer of every game, also, and getting some fine results..
and robbing them on everything they got HAHA xP
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I still want to know what was planned for River
Memory is sketchy, but something along the lines of;

Anne comes up from ocean pool (much like rescue).

She boards the raptor boat (see Remdul's render on main site; never released or used).

a Rex comes thru the trees somewhere along the river bank, knocks down tree, boat halts.

Anne must abandon boat, evade the rex and head into the woods.

Fight her way through said woods where she comes to a great valley.

A stone bridge in front of her leads into a fortress like structure which rises up from valley below.

Find a way of getting inside.

At top of structure rests a monorail, a tram sits idle on its tracking.

Objective was to fix the tram engine, hop on board.

No rescue per say here. level would have ended with anne riding out across the brac filled valley below.

She rides off into the sunset. If her ride ultimately led to her rescue, no one would know for certain. ..

That's the gist of it. Would it have been way cool? Yes. Will it ever be constructed. No -
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wow, really impressive, thanks!

Funnily enough, some of that was planned for JPDS3. Exiting JPDS2 involved either getting through JP3's Aviary and riding the boat into JPDS3R, or getting through the worker village to get a train working which would take you across a huge chasm (the one from TLW storyboards) into JPDS3, where the train would take you across vast pine valleys of sauropods and Mayan cities below. Originally the train was not going to be ridable but at one stage I realized I could speed up production of JPDS3 by having most of it out-of-reach of the player, having it all as a scenic view from the train or boat. At some point a pillar supporting the elevated rail would have gotten knocked by a Rex or some such below, causing the train to start falling apart and crash into the valley, where you would have to get out before this completed, and walk the rest of the rail to the shore...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

That's the part that sucks. You can envision these plans, but without help, you just can't pull it off.

*I just noticed Istor's reappearance. How the hell are you?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Rebel wrote:That's the part that sucks. You can envision these plans, but without help, you just can't pull it off.
So true...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

machf wrote:
Rebel wrote:That's the part that sucks. You can envision these plans, but without help, you just can't pull it off.
So true...
It's called Government; and they can't even do stuff with help...
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

It's called Government; and they can't even do stuff with help...
Yea, all governments eventually become less than the sum of their parts. Dysfunctional comes directly to mind, as does a Rube Goldberg machine (If I got the latter wrong, machf will correct me. ;) ).
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

*I just noticed Istor's reappearance. How the hell are you?
Glad to see the old farts still hanging around here! :wink: Hope you are well! I'm pretty busy with work, life, and all that stuff. Well PV almost brought a tear to my eyes, lol. After all these years! Incredible! It felt kind of surreal playing it. I remember the old times when it was still somewhat mythical. There were only a few pictures and some cheesy renderings of random places and objects. We didn't even have TresEd back then. Was it even called TresEd at first? I wonder when I joined the old trescom forums. Heck, "trescom" didn't even exist, it was called something else if my memory serves me right.

Dude, I feel really old, talking of the "good old days"! Where the hell did all these years go, I want to go back!!
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Glad to see the old farts still hanging around here!
Istor, you've got the old part right! TresView was the original name (for TresEd). We eventually prodded Andres to change the name due to the program's ever-growing abilities. And I have no blessed idea where all those years went, but they're certainly gone & gone.

*I'm fairly certain you joined the DieHard boards first -