Bunnyhopping in game

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

diuvic
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Bunnyhopping in game

Post by diuvic »

It can be done! So like many of you I just remembered I had this game tucked away and decide to play it for nostalgic purposes. Soon I found TresCom and some patches. After installing and adding two patches and a big screen patch I was set. I still have my old box and my Strategy Guide. Anyway I knew everything almost by heart so I passed the first few levels easy enough. I was then thinking about wanting to move faster maybe Bunnyhopping, so I tried. Its not quite Bunnyhopping but it turned out to be something way easier and a great time saver. Now in game run then jump and jump as soon as you land. It takes some practice but after a while you will be hopping through every level really quickly.

Things I have noticed: 1. You can beat a level in almost half the time it would normally take. 2. You can almost always outrun raptors. 3. When you jump away fast enough the raptors behind you (or any dinosaurs for that matter) get deactivated. By this I mean the level cant load your surroundings fast enough so it stops the dinosaurs (animating them and stuff and they just freeze in place). I don't know if anyone else has figured this but I joined the forums just to share. The only thing that does get annoying is the "HOP, HOP" from Anne haha. This would be a great tip for a sticky. Thanks TresCom for keeping Trespasser alive for us.
Ghosty
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Re: Bunnyhopping in game

Post by Ghosty »

Yeah, I got really frustrated that Anne runs so slow so I use the "bunny method" as well :lol:
Fear the Boo!

"The Hunters Landed on may 13:th
1997 deep in the islands southwest,
most of them had worked at my
African parks for years...
They never stood a chance..."

John P. Hammond
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Welcome to TresCom, diuvic! :mrgreen:
Bunny hopping is a very known way to get around in Trespasser. It's amazing how "running" is as fast as walking in real life and "walking" is like walking very slowly. The "walk" is useless in this game.
King_Tyrannus
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by King_Tyrannus »

Walk is about how slow I take a crap, running is fast walking, and hopping, well, ITS ULTIMATE SPEED!!!
Seriouslly how could the dev's expect her to run away from blood thirsty dinosaurs when she's fast walking!
Christ did they think her boobs weighed her down?! No suprise there if that was the reason, the things are beasts, they take up your whole view trying to look for the health.

In other words, bunny hopping is the ideal way to travel, in Trespasser.
Ghosty
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Ghosty »

Perhaps off topic...

But whats up with using the "S" for walking slowly forward and the "X" for walking backwards? Walking backwards is far more important and therefor the logical choice to use the "S" as any other FPS game... :D
Fear the Boo!

"The Hunters Landed on may 13:th
1997 deep in the islands southwest,
most of them had worked at my
African parks for years...
They never stood a chance..."

John P. Hammond
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

You can still redefine the key assignments easily...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
King_Tyrannus
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by King_Tyrannus »

Well I'm sure they wanted to make it seem realistic and not the average shooter by including walk. Letting the player walk when it seems there are no dinosaurs. Like in the lab or the town. It gives the player a freedom, just like real life.
craycrone
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by craycrone »

diuvic wrote:[...]2. You can almost always outrun raptors. 3. When you jump away fast enough the raptors behind you (or any dinosaurs for that matter) get deactivated. By this I mean the level cant load your surroundings fast enough so it stops the dinosaurs (animating them and stuff and they just freeze in place). I don't know if anyone else has figured this but I joined the forums just to share. [...]
they get deactivated because trespasser only allows a limited number of AI's walking AND also only in a limited radius seen from the player. although you can activate distant dinosaurs by shooting them, allowing them to execute their AI until no more action is required (and send immediately to rest).
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Although you can modify the WakeUp and Sleep distances for the dinosaurs in their scripts... unfortunately, it seems you can' modify them dynamically in-game.

Hmmm... now I wonder if dinosaurs can be Frozen, too...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
King_Tyrannus
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by King_Tyrannus »

It would be good to freeze dinosaurs if you wanted to pose them in a position and cover them in maybe a silver metal substance with rust in photoshop and then use it as a statue for a level. Gives me ideas for my lab remake... :D
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Unless you want the statues to come to life, you can do that without "freezing" the dinosaur. Look at the Mayan structure in TC Ops level for example.
King_Tyrannus
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by King_Tyrannus »

Nick3069 wrote:Unless you want the statues to come to life, you can do that without "freezing" the dinosaur. Look at the Mayan structure in TC Ops level for example.
Never really went in to that before....thanks for telling me.
Sakke
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by Sakke »

This is the only game where I use bunnyhopping frequently. Damn I hate it in multiplayer games.
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Sakke wrote:This is the only game where I use bunnyhopping frequently. Damn I hate it in multiplayer games.
Werlcome back dude, havn't seen a post from you in ages :) heh, same on the bunnyhopping exept for running with a rocket pod in Halo
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom