Sound names from the .tpa files

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The "VBB" ones are text-only 'voice-overs' by Brady Bell thanking family and friends.
Oh, and "Metal Dirt" means "metal hitting dirt".
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

Man, it screwed up your list. It looks a little off. Maybe it would look better if you kept it as a TXT file and uploaded it onto some server (I'll upload it to Trespasser Photography if you want me to). Also, are you still not a fan of Wikii, or will you put this up there.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, these aren't the definitive lists, they're here so that you can see the progress and cotribute additional sounds in case you find any.
If the forum allowed the use of HTML tags, I would have just surounded them in <pre> </pre> ones, and that would have kept the proper alignment of the text.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Contribute to the listings! I'd expect it to be easier for native English speakers to figure out possible strings than it is for me... and I've already found more than a dozen.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Can anybody tell me what the voice in sound #61 from Effects.tpa is saying? #60, #59 and #61 form a sequence, possibly ënding in "START", "RUN" and "STOP".
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

machf wrote:Can anybody tell me what the voice in sound #61 from Effects.tpa is saying? #60, #59 and #61 form a sequence, possibly ënding in "START", "RUN" and "STOP".
Are you sure that in #61 that's a voice? To me it sounds more like machinery powering down -- that sound about .5s in sounds like electricity cutting out.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I think it sounds like a recorded voice not quite finishing its message, aside from the machine powering down... if it's indeed a voice, the message could hint at the sound's name. Try pasting #60, #59 and #61 together (in that order).
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

machf wrote:I think it sounds like a recorded voice not quite finishing its message, aside from the machine powering down... if it's indeed a voice, the message could hint at the sound's name. Try pasting #60, #59 and #61 together (in that order).
Even pasted together I'm still not discerning a voice. Could that be of a winch, like on a car?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm, I don't know... spectral analysis shows a wider range of frequencies at that moment.

I was hoping you were posting saying that you had found what it was...

Anyway, I filtered out the frequencies below 750Hz (the engine sound):
http://rapidshare.com/files/38617559/61b.wav

Whatever it is, the sound names end in "RUNNING", "START" and "STOP", respectively. A set of names that match the CRC-32 hash values are "spec-crane arez5_running", "spec-crane arez5_start" and "spec-crane arez5_stop", and they can be used to access the sounds in-game, but I'd rather find the original string...

Last minute update: GOT IT! I started thinking what other machines there are in the game... it was "Spec-Car Lift Running" (and "Start" and "Stop")

Update 2: sounds #62-#65 are "Spec-Computer Beep 1" to "4". That means #66-#68 are between "Computer" and "Crane"...
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

machf wrote: Last minute update: GOT IT! I started thinking what other machines there are in the game... it was "Spec-Car Lift Running" (and "Start" and "Stop")
Nice! 8)

So I guess this hearkens back to the question: was the lift in the gas station in the Town originally able to raise/lower?

#68 sounds like a generator...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Slugger wrote:
machf wrote: Last minute update: GOT IT! I started thinking what other machines there are in the game... it was "Spec-Car Lift Running" (and "Start" and "Stop")
Nice! 8)

So I guess this hearkens back to the question: was the lift in the gas station in the Town originally able to raise/lower?
Possibly yes. Remember those screenshots, I think one was from Brian Moore's site... the lift was up and there was a control panel similar to the ones used on the lift at the end of AS2. With the corresponding sound having been identified, I'd say there's a very high probability it did work.
#68 sounds like a generator...
Hmmm... whatever it is, as I said, its name lies between "computer beep" and "crane motor".
#66 sounds like a phone (or maybe a modem) dialing... #67 is something shutting down (maybe a generator, too?)

Maybe we should take a break from those and take a look at #97 and #98. They're possibly "Spec-Metal "+something, and end in "1" and "2", respectively. They're not in the Foley table, so they aren't collision or friction sounds.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Finally got two more, #582 and #583, which turned out to be "Water Hand01" and "02". Now, I'll try to find out what #466-468 are called (possibly also "Water" ending in "5", "4" and "3", but they aren't "Water Hand"... nor "Water Splash").
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Keep an eye on the updated tables, I just added a few sounds more to them... among them was #584, "Water Body01".
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Slugger wrote: #68 sounds like a generator...
Well, it turned out not to be a generator... #68 is "Spec-Crane Arm Big", and #67 is "Spec-Crane Arm Big Stop". That still leaves #66 to be determined, something between "Spec-Computer Beep" and "Spec-Crane Arm". It sounds like an old phone or modem dialing, or something else that relies on relays...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

So, guess what... apparently at some point Trespasser was going to include a Remington 870 shotgun:
175 5ae12f7f no "GUN - REMINGTON 870-01"
176 c3e87ec5 no "GUN - REMINGTON 870-02"
Just found those on the Effects.tpa file. I made the assumption that "GUN - " sounds were grouped by categories, most likely handguns, rifles, shotguns (though there could be separate ones for pistols and revolvers, I'm not sure). I had also identified some "01"- "02" sound pairs. I decided to try names with the pair after "GUN - BENELLI M1 SUPER 90-01", fortunately there aren't all that many shotgun models... after trying "Benelli M3"and "Franchi SPAS", I came upon "Remington" and bingo!

I had also found a Remington 870 model some time ago, so you'll soon be seeing it in-game...

But now I think I could use some help from any gun nuts on this board in order to identify further gun sounds...