Importing new terrain

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Troodon

Importing new terrain

Post by Troodon »

Someone asked me today about how I imported the new terrain for the Hunter Camp Mission Pack. I am also posting the information here, hopefully I will get some feedback that will allow me to enhance the method.

What I figured out is how to import a new terrain BMP without "bumps and spikes"; the resulting Tres terrain may differ slightly from the BMP.

- Prepare your new terrain bitmap. I used a 512x512 greyscale 8 bit indexed BMP.
- Backup your new terrain BMP for later editing purposes.
- Get a program called "Height Map Editor", it's freeware (run a google search on it). Open the BMP in that software and run the "Smooth Terrain" command from the toolbar. Save the new terrain BMP.
- Import the new terrain BMP in TresEd (read Andres' instructions in minilev). You will need to fiddle some with the scale factors. What worked best for me was a horizontal factor of 512 and a vertical factor of 0.2-0.4. You should get a nice, smooth new terrain.
- Save the level. The new terrain is now in the .wtd file.
- Your new terrain may be in a different coordinate range than the previous one, so you need to move Anne and the base terrain objects to the new one; the "Warp" and "Drop to terrain functions" are very useful at this stage. At least for testing purposes you can use a single base terrain object that will cover your entire new terrain, just edit its Scale property to 256 or more.

Let me know if it works for you.