Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

TresCom20 - Natural Assets

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, I feel we might as well start a thread for the foliage, rocks, terrain textures etc. to be used in the community mod. Recently Teromen gave us a slew of new textures, based on photo reference taken by me around town. They were raw-edits of the photos, not yet adjusted for things like hue and saturation differences:

https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 45#p135345

Currently the base texture is modified mud image, where then grass can be placed per-area akin to an IRL landscape:
TTeroMudTest01t2.png
TTeroMudTest01t2.png (58.19 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
In my current edit of the level, there are two other new textures: grass and grass-dirt, to take the place of two of TheIdiot's MegaJungle textures:
TGrassTero00t2.png
TGrassTero00t2.png (168.51 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
TGrassDirtTero00t2.png
TGrassDirtTero00t2.png (156.63 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
TresCom20_NewGrassAnky.png
TresCom20_NewGrassAnky.png (509.7 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
And finally, Teromen has just posted another new texture set:
https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 79#p135379

Teromen's approach to terrain texturing includes not only multiple-levels of gradient (greater to lesser size of speckled texture presence ontop of the lower terrain object) but also groups of TrnObjs put together for areas of effective higher-res images. Lots of work to do! We can not choke by doing little bits at a time.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: TresCom20 - Natural Assets

Post by Teromen »

If you look at the final map in the game they did the same thing I'm doing but more professionally hehe. The cliffs use tons of different textures. They had really good artists considering it was the mid 90's. Tech and tools have come a long way.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, I've taken a bit to create some TresEd views with terrain description. These details don't cover all the bases but we can start with this.

First, the basement. Without going into full detail, here are some groupings of the terrain objects. The original set was from TheIdiot's MegaJungle, which has multiple "cover" objects for larger areas, and multiple "patch" objects for smaller detail. Not all textures are represented in both. The dirt, grass, and jungle-cover (now grass-dirt) have been updated with textures from Teromen. The grass cover has not yet been actually applied to ingame areas, just a demo instance placed near the bridge. Since the base terrain of the level has been changed from grass to dirt, the grass-cover may be used to apply basic grass terrain where applicable/desired.
Also in the basement are a set of moss objects from JR proto materials, also a gravel object.
I took the light-colored moss from Teromen and redressed the infamous dark-brown-with-cool-green-spots PV trnobjs. So, there is a 2x2 matrix object, and 4 patches. Between this and the proto JR textures is some good moss variety.
And, there is the giant desert trnobj, modified slightly out of alpha IJ.
TresCom20_TrnObjsBasement.png
TresCom20_TrnObjsBasement.png (470.41 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Next, the Helipad area, where Anne starts. Image gives basic descriptions of the various spots; this particular area is mostly finished and probably needs no new terrain object work. I'm of the opinion that the MegaJungle rock terrain textures are great and can go alongside newer/older textures.
TresCom20_TrnObjsHelipad.png
TresCom20_TrnObjsHelipad.png (562.71 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Same, for the area around the TresCom Harbor. This area has lots of trnobj work but may not be finished quite yet. Perhaps the harbor concrete could use concrete smudge detail in random spots. Spilt oil or whatnot.
TresCom20_TrnObjs_HarborSE.png
TresCom20_TrnObjs_HarborSE.png (709.46 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
This area is a sort of tight-knit well-developed spot. Probably not quite finished, but the monorail comes into the area and then into a collapsed tunnel. Gravel terrain texture blocks the path so Anne must get across using the rail. Inside is some construction, a Parasaur, and a concrete bunker leading down into the valley beyond. The trnobj work could be finished; on the other hand it might benefit from some distinct trnobj contribution, something designed specifically for the area, like the Raptor Nest in PV. The spot is TrespasserGuy's baby so ask him about it.
TresCom20_TrnObjs_Monorail.png
TresCom20_TrnObjs_Monorail.png (741.96 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
This one shows a view of some mostly undeveloped terrain texture area. I updated the level with some work begun; it's pretty well defined in its current state but could probably use some variation as the mini-environment expands outwards.
Trescom20_TrnObjsOutlands.png
Trescom20_TrnObjsOutlands.png (850 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Finally, here is an area set where where the environmental details are fairly clear but a good amount of terrain texture work is needed. The forest on the right doesn't quite have developed trnobjs / needs some variety. Then the burnt extension to its left ought to seem somewhat as a direct transition. The volcanic area which follows could take textures from other levels but we might as well make some new ones here. This is a spot where we may want to get entirely new images from online, or perhaps make new material out of textures from enigma's Lone Hunter. Then the desert biome follows; the sandy dirt is already made, but ought to have at least a couple patch types which give some random variance. And TrespasserGuy has said it ought to have rocks jutting out of it; despite myself I will say my vision is similar to the film-version of Rohan, except sandy dirt instead of grass.
Oh, and then the plateau itself ought to have some sort of unique edge texture. The Sorna one off out of view, as well. However, thinking about it now, we might want to take TheIdiot's vertical rock models from MegaJungle, and give them new textures. Teromen, you know where to find that level?
TresCom20_TrnObjsNublarPlateau.png
TresCom20_TrnObjsNublarPlateau.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1691 times
That's all I have for the moment. We ought to discuss from this first, to get a feel for what's already in the level, and then go from there. Others are encouraged to give their two cents on what terrain could look like.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just checked out the new version and I really like the textures now, a lot moreso than the initial pass. They look quite good with our choice of foliage, though I'd have made them a bit more of a dark-green in order to match up with the leaves a little bit more. Still, looking quite good. I definitely suggest making "cover" objects for the other textures (but see below for more on that). One thing I think we can do more of is "patch" objects in order to give the terrain a bit more variety - there are examples of this in most levels. The retail game has some examples too - a few random objects you can mix with other similar TrnObjs which have little patches of dirt, flowers, etc. That sort of thing.
Can I suggest we refrain from using those "Cover" objects that Drac described in-bounds? They're relics from JPDS which I've been using for the longest time but encourage bad habits since they are not square - which means that so long as you are within their bounding volume and they are the top layer TrnObj, they will play their footstep sounds, even if you're not standing visually "on" them since the game only considers square-shapes for bounding volumes. They work fine for out-of-bounds areas and places where they're covered heavily by other TrnObjs, though. I think a better solution would be to make TrnObjs of the same size, but make them square instead. Could have the edges use proper transition textures as well.
However, thinking about it now, we might want to take TheIdiot's vertical rock models from MegaJungle, and give them new textures. Teromen, you know where to find that level?
You could definitely use those, although they are in need of better physics since I'm pretty sure I just slapped on "Tangible = true" on them. Alternatively I have another rock model which for some reason I've neglected to use anywhere, but it achieves a similar effect while also being a bit easier to use. It's not a perfect vertical cliff, though, more suited to covering up cliffsides. But they can look decent enough with some work:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:though I'd have made them a bit more of a dark-green in order to match up with the leaves a little bit more.
Actually I had a similar thought. I'd moved past it by joining them alongside the darker proto JR moss, but it's not final.
Patch obj variety
Am totally on board. Tero has given a bunch of individual textures, as I posted in the main thread. Some are very similar to each other; we can tackle it soon.
flowers
That reminds me that ground foliage is fairly lacking in most of the level. I should pay some attention to that next time.
Replace the cover objs
Oye, never expected this one. You are right of course; those SoundMaterial bounds will have some inconsistencies. Will it be too upsetting to remove the ones already placed? I wouldn't mind, so long as I take a moment to mourn their coolness..

Teromen, this comes to a point about those 2x2 and 3x3 matrix trnobjs. We could begin using those instead of cover objs; layer multiple to achieve full coverage spots.
You could definitely use those, although they are in need of better physics since I'm pretty sure I just slapped on "Tangible = true" on them.
I'll make a note to start that.
Alternatively I have another rock model which for some reason I've neglected to use anywhere, but it achieves a similar effect while also being a bit easier to use. It's not a perfect vertical cliff, though, more suited to covering up cliffsides. But they can look decent enough with some work:
Didn't remember that one. It looks useful. Hmm I'm inclined to let you bring that one in whenever.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

So I thought we could take a moment to focus on part of the level. The foliage/rocks in the level is a point of focus that comes up sometimes. I personally am quite pleased with how it's gone.

There are the TC palms. These were taken from TC Isle, and updated with the alternate textures from test~zone which appear to be from an older stage of development of TC Isle. I figured the regular TC palms are cool but very used by now, so I suggested the update.
There are 40 some instances of them in the level, all close to the shoreline. This sort of tree may look better in large groups. Should any be placed further inland? It may work well realistically to have separated biomes as TrespasserGuy mentioned he imagined.
TresCom20_NaturalTCpalms.png
TresCom20_NaturalTCpalms.png (302.8 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
TheIdiot's MegaJungle assets. A specific set has been brought in. We have some palmy-things The coconut palm sapling has only been placed 4 times in isolated spots along with other tropical assets. They look great, though probably could be used more considering it is in the level. They can go well with beachfront, mostly where they already are.
The banana tree sapling has been placed 5 times, also isolated except for 3 up by the Aviary entrance. They look nice, I don't have a good sense of their fitting-in aspect. Thoughts?
The lite-foliaged grey-trunked thorn trees, temporarily without physics, are found at both Brontolon Falls and up on the penninsula on the far side of the harbor. I personally quite like them. Visually they may fit with other models present. I suggest not placing them everywhere so that they stand out, in groups, when found.
Then there are the common bush models of various sizes. These can potentially fit in with various biomes/subbiomes, from topical to forest. I've always liked them for their non-specific appearance and how well they fill the forest floor with unseeingness at eye-level. I am starting to feel their over-usage but it's not fully there. These have been used a lot over time but their generalness makes them not stand out too much.
The assorted ground plants of TI's have some non-green colors. I've often disliked them for that but they are real plants and there's no reason for them not to be here. This might also mean they haven't been over-used in the various MegaJungle things I put out.
The amaumau ferns, I can't really remember how much I used them, but I think I typically used other fern sources in released levels. Did TrespasserGuy use them much? Maybe, but ferns look fairly similar one to the next. Use however much you want, it's hard to imagine these being over-done.
The bamboo did get some use, but not a lot. These ones do need their textures fixed, which is a simple matter. They could go in groves by themselves, or alongside water. Hammond didn't quite see fit to introduce pandas.
TresCom20_NaturalMegaJungle.png
TresCom20_NaturalMegaJungle.png (662.23 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
There is a nice, limited assortment of original Tres underbrush. Tres has a TON of variety in its Jungle biome and these are essentially embassadors within a diverse collection in TresCom20. The Joha palm plants are broadleaf without being the typical quite-broad-leafed plants that were further emulated in TC Isle and other places. They're thin and stick upright, providing a particular feel if it's what you're going for.
The Knotweed and Wide Bush are from "Greenhouse", put in by machf from the Mystery Models. They may've been made for the Plaines biome, and have a brown texture for when it suits you. Use alone or mixed with others.
TresCom20_NaturalTresUnder.png
TresCom20_NaturalTresUnder.png (180.23 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
A small contingent of Lone Hunter bushes from enigma are present. They are smaller than MegaJungle's (though can be scaled up), with finer individual leaves and hue in the blue-direction. Use where you feel to fit it in, perhaps to match with other blue-ish foliage.
TresCom20_NaturalLoneHunterBush.png
TresCom20_NaturalLoneHunterBush.png (69.99 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
"Lab_ShrubTree-00" is the only ground foliage from TC Isle. It was used a lot in JPDS. This may definitely seem over-used by now, but I personally find it still works from, again, how essentially formed it is, unspecific in whatever species it might be. Its leaves are also quite small, and it has an unassuming branch bit at the bottom. Can fit with various other foliage.
TresCom20_NaturalTCshrug.png
TresCom20_NaturalTCshrug.png (239.15 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Nearby are some burnt logs, which I won't bother to represent. Really only useful for the burnt forest biome, or whatever campfires you may wish to set up, but are more in a different area of level design.

Then there are the actual logs which can go about anywhere. Some are mossy, some not. Some variety of shapes, and a couple you can pick up. These may not speak much to some but they can make or break whether an area ends up looking like a real place or not. They can also drive up the object count. There should at least but a number of areas in the level which make good use of them, to remind the player what the engine can look like.
TresCom20_NaturalTresLogs.png
TresCom20_NaturalTresLogs.png (168.75 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Then there are some select trees from original Tres Jungle biome. Some were selected by me for their darker-greyer leaf color, to help blend with the other assets in the level. TresCom20 is meant to be both a community of modders and of assets, which are both distinct and complement each other. These trees manage to not seem forced to join with the others, and why the yellow-green canopies were left out. They also provide a "founder effect" where original-Tres contributes assets from specific types of greenery.
The Hawaiian palms give a tropical feel but still fit in with forest. A similar vibe can come with the stalky fern/broadleaf palms. The current version of the famous "ded tree" in Trespasser is only a burnt version; we may or may not bring in the normal one. Then the giant tree roots/trunks, so known for their not looking like actual Tres trees, were updated by TheIdiot but presented here in their original form. TI did go to the trouble of making full trees that use their variety of textures; those aren't here, but the thorn trees are close. These various models can be either foresty or tropical. Consider selecting specific trees out of the variety in this basement and making your own unique type of forest, even if it is just one area.
TresCom20_NaturalTresTrees.png
TresCom20_NaturalTresTrees.png (335.48 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Despite the variety I keep mentioning, somehow almost all of the TC Isle tree-hood has made it in. It doesn't upset me too much. TrespasserGuy made sure that Rebel's newer, stubbier variants of the thin-type tree have joined the club. These make great populations for foresty areas. They can be used by themselves or with other trees.
TresCom20_NaturalTCtreesthin.png
TresCom20_NaturalTCtreesthin.png (444.29 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
"WiseOldTree" may not have made it in, but the "large" and "XL" trees certainly did. They are fairly classic; nice basic trunks with canopies to create your tropical rainforest. Use how you like; they may dominate a bit where they are found.
TresCom20_NaturalTClargetrees.png
TresCom20_NaturalTClargetrees.png (509.33 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
B River Tree shall never get old! This tree has its own form, made by Remdul a long while ago. It can be close to or far from water. (Ground water is not explicitly designed in Tres.) There is a dead version but this hasn't been brought in; if you'd like to use it, let us know.
TresCom20_NaturalTCriver.png
TresCom20_NaturalTCriver.png (383.16 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
enigma used these for his upper canopy. They are similar to the large/xl TC trees but broader at the top. They have been used every here and there in the past, but I don't believe it's been too spotlight yet. Use to make an upper forest for your area.
TresCom20_NaturalLoneHunterTrees.png
TresCom20_NaturalLoneHunterTrees.png (428.25 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
This little area of foliage is I believe taken from RTJP~helipad. There TheIdiot used them to fill in areas distant from Diane. Somehow he managed to make the game look like CryEngine or some such. They were used a little in our own helipad area; the two foreground trees are billboards of "VTallForest" which is currently not imported into TresCom20. It makes sense that they should be but it's not required; if you'd like to see them brought in, tell us about it.
TresCom20_NaturalRTJPbg.png
TresCom20_NaturalRTJPbg.png (180.57 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
These three trees are from Lone Hunter again. enigma could fill in his lower canopy with them. There is a bit of yellow but together they present a relatively desaturated leafscape. Leafscape, hmm.. Their trunks are fairly spindly. Despite all this they are fairly versitile, use some or all of them to create your natural spots.
TresCom20_NaturalLoneHunterLowTrees.png
TresCom20_NaturalLoneHunterLowTrees.png (396.27 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
There are a bunch of rocks and stones, I'm not going to go into them all! But generally we have two types of stone, with a relatively decent spread of shapes. These ones haven't been used near as much yet; have fun being a stone pioneer. The darker version also has a building-block, which was used to make the cave. No one says there can't be more caves. Also in the background is a small contingent of Tres stones, including the jumping-ones. Taken together there are a ton of ways these could all be used. Take your imagination and be creative.
TresCom20_NaturalRocks.png
TresCom20_NaturalRocks.png (316.07 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

TheIdiot wrote:Just checked out the new version and I really like the textures now, a lot moreso than the initial pass. They look quite good with our choice of foliage, though I'd have made them a bit more of a dark-green in order to match up with the leaves a little bit more. Still, looking quite good. I definitely suggest making "cover" objects for the other textures (but see below for more on that). One thing I think we can do more of is "patch" objects in order to give the terrain a bit more variety - there are examples of this in most levels. The retail game has some examples too - a few random objects you can mix with other similar TrnObjs which have little patches of dirt, flowers, etc. That sort of thing.
Can I suggest we refrain from using those "Cover" objects that Drac described in-bounds? They're relics from JPDS which I've been using for the longest time but encourage bad habits since they are not square - which means that so long as you are within their bounding volume and they are the top layer TrnObj, they will play their footstep sounds, even if you're not standing visually "on" them since the game only considers square-shapes for bounding volumes. They work fine for out-of-bounds areas and places where they're covered heavily by other TrnObjs, though. I think a better solution would be to make TrnObjs of the same size, but make them square instead. Could have the edges use proper transition textures as well.
However, thinking about it now, we might want to take TheIdiot's vertical rock models from MegaJungle, and give them new textures. Teromen, you know where to find that level?
You could definitely use those, although they are in need of better physics since I'm pretty sure I just slapped on "Tangible = true" on them. Alternatively I have another rock model which for some reason I've neglected to use anywhere, but it achieves a similar effect while also being a bit easier to use. It's not a perfect vertical cliff, though, more suited to covering up cliffsides. But they can look decent enough with some work:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
You could also just use two different terrain objects with the same out of square texture but a different walking sound. Just a thought. My guess is this would only be usable in limited fashion.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Forgot about TI's post. I'm not sure to re-do areas that already use the Cover objs, but he has a point on the SoundMaterial area. It's only slightly more time-consuming to place a bunch of squares, and there can be made a mix of 1x1-meter (one texture tile) and 2x2 or 2x3-meter TrnObjs that have no opacity, to solve this. I might get into this on my next pass at the level.
I must admit that "patching" the SoundMaterial issue with additional objs seems a poor use of assets/time, we can do it better in other ways.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Took one of Tero's textures and made a test in my test level. Thoughts?
TGrassQuadSet_smll.png
TGrassQuadSet_smll.png (648.64 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
Attachments
Grass.png
Grass.png (266.13 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks good to me, nice and crisp, even in hardware mode. I presume it will look a lot nicer in software mode as well.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Did another assemblage of Teromen textures. This "dirt gravel" set example is centered around 4 solid terrain object squares; TI recommended not using curved "cover" objects since their SoundMaterial area doesn't match where the texture is. Ontop of this are 3 additional texture variants.
Attachments
TresCom20_DirtGravelTero.png
TresCom20_DirtGravelTero.png (395.29 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Did another assemblage of Teromen textures. This "dirt gravel" set example is centered around 4 solid terrain object squares; TI recommended not using curved "cover" objects since their SoundMaterial area doesn't match where the texture is. Ontop of this are 3 additional texture variants.
Wow, now that looks really good. If only Tres rendered terrain a bit better. The mix of objects and variety makes it look very natural. I think if you were to create transitional textures as well and layer them under your highest textures but above your base, you could get a really realistic blend. Right now it already blends really well without that.