Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Guy's Palm Gate FINAL RELEASE

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sooooo! Now that the full PG1-2-3 has been streamed in the Discord TresCom server, I'm ready to review. :statue:

This started out at a great idea from TheIdiot. While I was having problems sitting at the computer and using graphics, the pencil mod idea was a great way to continue Tres work beyond simple sketches of objects. I'm not just an asset creator, I like designing systems and whatnot. And the graph paper format was a great way to focus how the areas fit into their puzzles.
Very glad I went with contestlev as the basis. That old thing seems a little dated but still highly essential, and I envisioned that it could allow any number of beginning modders to tackle it if they wanted. Instead, as it happened, a very seasoned modder took it instead, and kept it simple along the way. Little details like the sparks at the gate keypad, the big iguana, the sparse Dino population were able to show themselves w/out lots of clutter.

Gameplay! For some reason the Compies on the starting beach don't always eat the meat hunk, despite that they did for TrespasserGuy as he made it. I'm taking note to be careful in doing their AI for my own future projects. I personally quite appreciate the added detail throughout the level ontop of the original sketches. As well, it takes away a little to have both a tranq rifle available and the meat-hunk to distract the Raptor. I can see the way that the level might've been a bit boring without these additions. And, things l like a puzzle requiring the player to get creative and feed meat to a Dinosaur, are a critical part of my new approach to Trespasser. So, I've got some work to do. This goes with the InGen Bridge pole as well; it may be difficult to figure out, but as MikeTheRaptor was able to see when we talked, there is an intact approach to level design which benefits from not being able to progress by the usual disable-Dinos, find/use Keycard, etc. If the player is not in the mindset of complex puzzle solutions, they may get very flustered when something like a bridge pole is needed to shove a metal grating, or a keycard is buried underneath a rock in the backyard.

That boathouse is so cool. What level is it from?... I had a plan for one ages ago but never found out someone else put one into Trespasser. Very neat. I'm also curious where the Kentrosaurus came from; the one in JPDS was, I thought, the only one. It's nice to see a fresh skin on it. At any rate, I quite enjoyed seeing new and old combinations of assets. I was glad to design PG3 knowing it'd get modification into its realized state. I am glad I reserved my experience of this level for streaming, as that meant my entire experience of it was with others. So much I wish to have feedback on levels beyond the brief machf-"Downloading, let's see" etc. This, plus the community mod have been an unexpected break of Trespasser into a rather social setting, and I'm geared up for more.
Attachments
ThumbsUpRaptor.png
ThumbsUpRaptor.png (602.05 KiB) Viewed 533 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: TG~PG1 (PG2 released!)

Post by machf »

TrespasserGuy wrote:Well, here it is folks, the final release of my version of Palm Gate. This release incorporates all three of Drac's pencil mods, with some added stuff from yours truly. I added a lot of stuff that will make the original versions of the level look completely foreign, and this is reflected in the level files, which are now simply named "tg~pg". I hope you all enjoy!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a9fzm7g3 ... l.zip/file
I guess now I'll have to try this one too...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files