Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Drac's Pencil Mods

Post by Draconisaurus »

Soooooo here we go. TheIdiot gave me the great idea to create mods via pencil during my now past computerlessness. After setting up a notebook, I put down the beginnings of a new mod called PG, "Palm Gate". PG1 is below. The set-up is that this mod is started from the old ContestLev template, which for those who don't know was used for a contest back during WeekOfTres and featured TC_Ise-derived assets with some buildings blocks and misc items. PG1 contains a couple new things like the meat hunk from TC_Rescue and a new guard tower.
Attachments
PencilMod_PG1.png
PencilMod_PG1.png (774.24 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: Drac's Pencil Mods

Post by tatu »

Oh, this looks like a really good idea when planning a level, specially bigger one to get an overview of the level before starting it. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks like a good concept! Used to do this a bit myself until it became difficult to ever find paper and a pencil when I need it! I somewhat miss the days of very small, quick to create and play levels like this one. I'm reminded of levels like The Complex (if I remember its name correctly). Seems smart as well to keep modelling and additional work as limited as possible; perhaps this would be a decent place to try out a bit of clever scripting since the level itself is small, or have a few little simple TC~Isle-esque distractions on the side, such as functioning lights on your watch tower, a working car horn, etc.
One suggestion - maybe cut out the "walkthrough" text at the bottom from the image and upload a sceenshot that text seperately as a spoiler. That way we don't know what we're in for before the level gets released!

And on a side note, I notice your drawing skills have improved quite a bit from your earliest sketches - even this simple image has some nice stuff going on. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks Tatu. Yeah this is a good idea to do, although I do much like to go into a new level blind at times. This level of detail I included, because I don't actually plan to make this. That's why there's no spoiler tag; it's meant as inspiration for others.

TI, why not pick up pencil modding? 8 ) Yes Complex is a great level by Slugger. Nice and compact area to explore, and a bit atmospheric. I haven't been able to get to AT31 in it for a while.

Thanks. I find my skill a bit variable over time, from mysterious causes. This one I thought did the trick for a top-down map, really just takes sitting down and patience.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TI, why not pick up pencil modding?
Wouldn't that simply be drawing? :P Nah I'm pretty good at visualizations in my head if I'm doing something like that, drawing it out would just take longer.
I *did* find one of my unfinished concept sketches from the RTJP days of the gecko-like, suction-cup fingered segisaurus, however - will have to share that somehow, it might serve as good inspiration.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Looks good!!

If I understand the design correctly, it seems like the player needs to know that the crates from Area A are needed to get into Area C prior to going into Area B.

If they don’t know this, they could use either the crates or the palm tree to get into Area B, where they will then be stuck unless there is a way in Area B to get back out into Area A to retrieve the crates.

But otherwise I really enjoy the small concept :) And the art is great!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

@TI

Segisaurus! I am a moderately big Coelophysis fan...

@MikeTheRaptor

Actually there are rocks positioned next to the PV gate wall on the other side, which can be used to climb back over, similar to trench terrain in Tres that lets you return but not skip the puzzle.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

If you're reading this thread and haven't played TrespasserGuy's level which uses the concept Draco made above, head over to the post below to check it out :)

https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11731
tatu

Post by tatu »

I might give it a go to make a level idea onto paper like this one day. It would be fun to make the whole Trespasser island like this too :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

One of the mods I started was going to be major-project sized, a separate island called Site D or Isla Lepidos, to include paddocks where Dinosaurs were researched in. It's on the backburner atm but I might get back to that notebook sometime.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well you guys asked for it. Here is PG2, following immediately after PG1. No PG3 has been made yet but I imagine I can get to it when I'm in a pencily mood sometime.
Attachments
PencilMod_PG2.png
PencilMod_PG2.png (710.4 KiB) Viewed 7798 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks like a fun little extension of the first level. I hope TresGuy adds this on to his level! There's something about the style of these different valleys broken up by gates that I like - I'm somewhat reminded of Doom WADs by the way they are broken up into self-contained portions, with each section doing its own sort of thing.
The grate bit is interesting - would the log be ASA animated to ram into the gate? Sounds quite original.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks. Well the idea, as it came to mind, did come across as something that might need testing to see if it works as-planned. But the idea is you'd dislodge a moveable wood post from the sunken InGen bridge, then float it in the water to the metal grating, and shove it into that, until a piece comes loose, while the log is still floating.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, I've finished penciling PG3. The final part of Palm Gate, Anne comes to the shore and has to figure a way over the barrier wall. Various items scattered about alongside a Stegosaurus. (Since this is a TC-styled map, might want to use the OG skin.)
Attachments
PencilMod_PG3.png
PencilMod_PG3.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 7531 times
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

These are really cool. Love it, really great idea!