Sort of a small "guide" for new TresCom users like me.

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

DuderinoMagnificus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Location: 'Straya (That place where half of all Trespasser bird noises come from)

Sort of a small "guide" for new TresCom users like me.

Post by DuderinoMagnificus »

(I'm having to make this quick because I have to leave in 30 minutes, so I'll probably word this whole topic better tomorrow. I read the rules and I believe I'm not breaking anything, hmu if you need me to change anything or whatever.)
Hello, this my first time dipping my toes in this community after lurking around for about 2 years. This is also basically a little respect post for s13n1 and LtSten. And also a "what not to do guide" new users interested in Trespasser map exporting. This will most definitely get expanded upon by me in a few days time.

Basically, a long story short, s13n1 had wanted to do the exact same thing I wanted to do with TresEd but had the exact same problem I did exactly one decade before me! His problem was with exporting 3ds files from TresEd, I had tried using GMax and and 3dsMax import scripts that s13n1 had used, but those are outdated by at least a fair few years now, anyway only recently did I find that LtSten had written a TPM import for blender 2.8+, which works perfectly (from what I can tell) in most modern Blender versions...

So to cut a short story even shorter: I believe most newbies like myself should be opting to start with Blender, instead of chaining many different tools, of varying degrees of age, together in order for them to start their Trespasser modding journey.

P.S. Tomorrow I'll add an image of the full map pieced together thanks to Sten's AMAZING import/export tool:
This is my ost, notice there is no "P" in it.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Sort of a small "guide" for new TresCom users like me.

Post by tatu »

Welcome to TresCom!
Glad you found the Blender script. Recent years a lot of people in the community had asked for a Blender script to work with TPM, and earlier this year LtSten took a crack at it. Hopefully it will allow more people to make stuff for this game.

Otherwise, the scripts for GMax and 3ds Max works fine. I used them myself and never had any issues with importing TPM terrain from TresEd. In any case, people are more familiar with Blender so it is good we finally have an updated script for it. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

I'm playing around with Blender and TPM models at the moment too, the import script seems to be broken in 3.0 though.

The TresEd and Blender plugins are amazing, very easy to take old models straight from the game and import them into Unreal Engine.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Mike pointed me at this thread - I'll take a look at Blender 3.0 and whether it's something that's going to be straightforward enough to adapt the script for, if it's something people would find useful.

Edit: It seems to just work with 3.0 by updating the compatibility version number. Give it a go and let me know (see the original thread here).
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

I'm using Blender 3.0 and the script works flawlessly now. This is such a time saver, you have no idea
DuderinoMagnificus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Location: 'Straya (That place where half of all Trespasser bird noises come from)

Yeah sorry lads (and ladies?). I've never been great with planning, I got a really massive hangover and then realised I had made preparations to go with my family on holidays for a week :lol: , but that did give me a few things to think about and a few ideas. The two main ones that come to mind are...
1. Possibly making an *actual* guide for blender users in the Tutorial forum (I'm sure there is enough stuff on YouTube but why not?)
2. Making a "remake" .blend file of the entire map in honour of the one decade anniversary of s13n1's Trespassing Remake, Will I get it done in four days? Prolly not. But I guess it would give people a good idea on where everything goes.

Anyway catch up time...
Welcome to TresCom!
Thanks!
the scripts for GMax and 3ds Max works fine.
You're probably right, but Gmax is far too old for me and 3ds Max is too alien and big (8GB trial!) for me.
The TresEd and Blender plugins are amazing
Damn str8
Mike pointed me at this thread.
Glad he did, and I'm glad you can see how helpful the TPM script is! (ps. How much would it cost me to get you to make a script that links sub objects for blender? I hate how TresEd doesn't have a button to unlink sub objects from parents...)
This is such a time saver, you have no idea
Ditto!
tatu

Post by tatu »

1. Possibly making an *actual* guide for blender users in the Tutorial forum (I'm sure there is enough stuff on YouTube but why not?)
Even if there is enough Blender tutorials on YouTube, it does not have one specifically for Trespasser modding. ;)
2. Making a "remake" .blend file of the entire map in honour of the one decade anniversary of s13n1's Trespassing Remake, Will I get it done in four days? Prolly not. But I guess it would give people a good idea on where everything goes.
There is always New Years. ;)
You're probably right, but Gmax is far too old for me and 3ds Max is too alien and big (8GB trial!) for me.
Yeah I get that. A lot of people use Blender now so it is good that we have a working script for it.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
DuderinoMagnificus
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukah/Kwanzaa?
Anyway I'll make this quick as its fairly late for me.
The (very bad and soon to be changed) blend file is in the MEGA link, I don't know if this is the right spot to put it, lemme know if it needs to go somewhere else or not.
Cya!
https://mega.nz/file/bDhlHQCD#7WgPiLjIu ... AsD4H9B_NQ

(Goddam internet wouldn't let me post for 20 minutes!)