Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Converting Trespasser map to deathmatch map in anothr en

Post by Draconisaurus »

Pretty cool project you have going. What makes you so into terrain creation?
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Its just fun, I've always loved outdoor areas in fps games since the 90's. These open world games take it a bit far though. I like a story in a level, sort of linear. Like Trespasser. Anyone remember waiting for Christmas 98 to get the game back in the day? Maybe someone should release a level called "Christmas 98" hehe.

I'm still working on this, just Christmas and all. In the mean time I'm trying to make a simple outdoor map for people to test out Jurassic Rage.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Almost done with the simple map for Jurassic Rage. Just need to add player starts and path nodes and such. I can't wait to kill a raptor in it hehe.

I'm averaging 100 fps so far but that will go down with raptors running around. On a 12 core Xeon 2.3ghz and 2060 rtx. My system isn't that advanced by todays standards so framerates should be fine on a i7 or something. Maybe even an i3 with a decent video card. Xeons don't get the best of frames per second. More of a rendering setup.

By the way if you play this make sure to edit UT2004.ini or ut2004-win64.ini to the resolution of your monitor. I like 1920x1080. The render lag goes way down. My game defaulted to 1920x1200... Bad lag. The 64 bit patch gets a big performance increase so I recommend that version. ut2004-win64.exe

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I got the raptors in game but I'm having trouble with my item layout and/or bot pathing. There isn't enough enemies. Those things seem to determine how many raptors there are. There are 11 raptors in my map and like 30+ in the games retail maps...

Anyway, Its pretty fun. I know this isn't a Trespasser level so I am reluctant to post such things on this forum but this is what it looks like. The graphics are pretty much done.

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Neat!
Well technically it is a Trespasser-inspired level inside another game, so it is fine. ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

For the test map I figured out why the dinos are not spawning. You have to block the player spawn points from where the raptors can see them. So I added in some big boulders in front of the player starts. Now it works great. I want to add some more rocks/boulders to the middle of the map and add some crates and barrels and other stuff seen in Jurassic Park style levels.

As far as the IT level conversion, I need to find a way to require Trespasser to be installed for the level to be installed or else I don't think I can release it because it uses content.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Added some shipping containers. I want to add some random stacked crates and some Raptor cages. What do you think? Anything else that might fit good? I can't go too aggressive with stuff as I'm not a good modeler or texture artist.

I need objects in the way so you can get away from the raptors, they are vicious. Fast and vicious. The mod A.I. is a little aggressive.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm intrigued that such a specific thing as using boulders to block line of sight, affects the programing of Raptor spawning. Come to think of it, there might be some (different) details like that in Tres worth studying, with BONES mode on.

Btw sent a PM your way.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I'm moving Saturday, so I'll get back to this map in about a week. It's almost done but I want to add raptor cages and barrels. Maybe some other details if anyone has any ideas of stuff to add.

This map is helping me figure out how to port IT better. It should be a fairly accurate port, outside of ground texture layering. I'm using alpha maps instead of terrain decals like in Trespasser. But I think I can get that kind of close. I use high res alpha maps compared to the default game. I use 2048 or 4096(prolly this for IT) and the regular game uses 512x512 alpha maps for terrain. I'm using a highly optimized static mesh for the terrain, instead of the terrain engine. My landscape starts out as a 2048"2048 tessellated mesh, then gets highly optimized. The game engines max is 512"512 unoptimized. I'm pretty sure this new way I created is more effecient. You give up being able to manually edit the landscape in UnrealEd for more detail. I'm using material shaders to create the texture layering. This makes details look a lot better, such as the concrete surrounding the outside where the fence is at. As well as the seperation between the dirt and grass. I have three layers right now, grass/dirt/concrete. I don't want to push that any further. Shaders are very expensive from what I understand. Unreal is a polygon efficient engine, not textures so... I know it's different with more modern video cards like my 6GB but still... The engine is old, 2003 era.

I'll try my best to port this demo to UT3. I was looking around the openness of the map and thinking "A TREX would be perfect". UT3 has a t-rex.

TTYAL.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Good luck with the move!