Heightmaps of the JP island chain. Has anyone?

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Heightmaps of the JP island chain. Has anyone?

Post by Teromen »

I'm curious if anyone has tried obtaining "global" heightmaps of the islands from the Jurassic Park series? Sorna, Nublar, the other 3?

It might be fun to try and turn them into a level pack. I was thinking about trying what they did for the Trespasser game and make it look higher detail then add blocking areas for the player.

I've never gotten around to making islands from clay and photo scanning them in... That could be fun too. But pc software is a lot cleaner and easier.

Has anyone toyed around with this stuff much?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Heightmaps of the JP island chain. Has anyone?

Post by TheIdiot »

Well...there's my unfinished Return to Jurassic Park mod, 11 years in the making:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
And this heightmap I made based on the novel:
Click on Image
And this thread where I tried to assemble a 1:1 scale recreation of Nublar using real geography:
https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 18&t=11569
Click on Image
The islands themselves don't have any established consistent heightmaps so generally it's up to detective work, especially with Nublar which has multiple conflicting depictions (JP and JW Nublar are geographically completely different). The Five Deaths are a different story than Nublar as well, though I believe I've seen some more reliable topographic maps which were screen-used for those locations. The islands themselves are far larger than possibly allowed in Trespasser as well, especially Sorna - Tres' Isla Sorna is only 8km long at its widest whereas Nublar according to my calculations is 32km wide.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Well it could be split into multiple levels as far as size right?

What about the real islands they are based on? The heightmaps of those. I'm assuming I could use drm data and find it though. But idk how to get the whole island as a heightmap. The programs I have used limit size.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Isla Nublar and Las Cinco Muertes are fictional islands and as far as I know, they aren't based on real islands.

Trespasser's Isla Sorna is based on Isla del Coco and is nothing like the movies. If you're interested in a complete heightmap of Trespasser's Isla Sorna, check out tatu's Trespasser: Isla Sorna project.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well it could be split into multiple levels as far as size right?
Absolutely, in fact using chunks of the actual terrain of Kauaii and the other Hawaiian islands could definitely yield some excellent terrain. Alternatively you could just downscale everything like I did in RTJP, Isla Nublar in that mod is only 8km long if I remember correctly.
What about the real islands they are based on? The heightmaps of those. I'm assuming I could use drm data and find it though. But idk how to get the whole island as a heightmap. The programs I have used limit size.
You mean the Hawaiian islands? That's where the movies were filmed on location. You can definitely get the heightmaps of the Hawaiian islands if that's what you mean, although they're also quite large. As Nick said, the Five Deaths and Isla Nublar aren't based on any real locations - the closest real-life approximatation is Isla Del Coco, off the Costa Rican coast, which is the island they used as a base for Trespasser (although the heightmap of Trespasser's version is very different from the actual place). Using the real-world Isla Del Coco for a level might be interesting, however.