Drone GunShip (Early Alpha Release)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Drone GunShip (Early Alpha Release)

Post by Rebel »

Releasing the most recent work available. The left-side joystick is the one active at the moment as I don't
have time currently to setup the right-side joystick (which would allow you to fly the drone back). The ro-
tate control is somewhat set at 5 button clicks to do a 180 of the ship (which would be nice if you were to
fly the ship back to you). Maybe next weekend -

There are no known bugs, but using the joystick efficiently definitely has a learning curve. I'm fairly damn
good at it, but I've been playing around with it for nearly 10+ days now. I also found that using a light touch
is best, and pushing the joystick up with Anne's fingertips is the best method to hit descent.

Anyways, hope someone has a bit of fun with it. Something to play with.
Attachments
Drone_GunShip_Alpha.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Drone GunShip (Early Alpha Release)

Post by Draconisaurus »

...That was great! A nice evolution of the scripting you've been making... Sound works well, and the joystick worked well both as hand-pushed and grabbed. The gun part, I must ask: is it an actual CGun attached to the drone? And thus fires real bullets...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Draconisaurus wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:48 pm ...That was great! A nice evolution of the scripting you've been making... Sound works well, and the joystick worked well both as hand-pushed and grabbed. The gun part, I must ask: is it an actual CGun attached to the drone? And thus fires real bullets...
Thanks, Drac. Actually, the drone itself is a CGun (so yeah, fires real bullets). I actually used it to gun down Anne, it was hilarious. While just sitting on the couch eating cheez-its, I just realized how
to reverse forward/back directions in a simple way and using the same joystick. Tested it, it worked just fine.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Draconisaurus wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:48 pm ...That was great! A nice evolution of the scripting you've been making... Sound works well, and the joystick worked well both as hand-pushed and grabbed. The gun part, I must ask: is it an actual CGun attached to the drone? And thus fires real bullets...
Try the attached update (just the grf/scn files) when you feel like it, Drac. To change directions hit the 'MODE' button (should be in flight when doing so).
Attachments
Drone_Alpha_Update.zip
Drone Update (grf/scn files only)
(566.15 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Will have to check this out later. This sounds incredible, I can't believe you were able to get proper helicopter-like controls working. Sounds like we're getting closer to a proper drivable vehicle. :wink:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

TheIdiot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:23 pm Will have to check this out later. This sounds incredible, I can't believe you were able to get proper helicopter-like controls working. Sounds like we're getting closer to a proper drivable vehicle. :wink:
How the hell are yah, T.I. Eh, it gives us a little bit more to play around with, right? Just as another experiment, I turned the airboat into a CGun, put a fake gun and muzzle on the front and fired it
off while going for the ride. So technically, I was taking a ride on a gun.

@Edit:
Adding an additional gun, pointing at down at 12 degrees for strafing (InVisaGun-00). It can't be seen so easiest method
to find it on the Drone is by name. Basically, you have 2 bullet flights, one straight ahead and another firing downwards.

Left/right movement has been doubled to get a better drift to the chosen direction. Just an FYI, if you engage a reverse
motion (ie. the drone is flying back towards you) remember that left is right and right is left (drone's perspective). ;)

Known Issues: If takeoff fails, just move the joystick out of ascend mode and try again. Sometimes the ground collision
trigger goes off and shuts down takeoff. The 2nd attempt the drone generally lifts off -

Some tips: The best way to handle the joystick is to be certain that Anne's hand is place directly on top of it and keeping
your joystick movements slow. Sneak forward with the 'S' key if you're having a difficult time engaging descent. This en-
tire setup is experimental, so it is what it is . . .
Attachments
Drone_GunShip_Beta.zip
Drone (Beta)
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:53 pm How the hell are yah, T.I. Eh, it gives us a little bit more to play around with, right?
Well, thanks! :D Glad to see you back around.

Now I feel like I need to work this into my own level, it's so badass. The amount of havok you could cause with this thing is immense. 8) At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see a fully flyable jet fighter complete with target lock-on, manual flaps, and realistic wind/stall physics soon.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

I've looked at this briefly. I'll give it a proper go soon. I can't stop experimenting with magnets and magnet actions lately...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Gave the latest version a play. Would be nice if the drone stopped sideways motion while descending. Maybe that is only the perspective of a user who hasn't been toying with it for hours though.
One thing, the last thing I did before exiting was to hit hover... It clearly was not remaining stationary, hmm.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Draconisaurus wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:41 pm Gave the latest version a play. Would be nice if the drone stopped sideways motion while descending. Maybe that is only the perspective of a user who hasn't been toying with it for hours though.
One thing, the last thing I did before exiting was to hit hover... It clearly was not remaining stationary, hmm.
Both of those issues are side effects of using bool ZFree instead of ZTFree. Using ZTFree eliminates the ability to rotate, so I set it at ZFree in the release. For instance, if by chance as T.I.
threw out above that he's considering using the drone, it'd be entirely up to them as to how to use and/or to change any settings, magnets, or triggers.

@Edit: Drac, adding 0.050000 to the Z value of the Hover trigger appears to halt motion -
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Rebel wrote:@Edit: Drac, adding 0.050000 to the Z value of the Hover trigger appears to halt motion -
Huh. I haven't experimented with the velocity settings much. I was imagining setting a velocity to 0.0 would halt motion in that direction, though I really haven't studied it...

How does the ZFree part work? I didn't realize an object with a _Free magnet could move around in the air...
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:12 pm
Rebel wrote:@Edit: Drac, adding 0.050000 to the Z value of the Hover trigger appears to halt motion -
Huh. I haven't experimented with the velocity settings much. I was imagining setting a velocity to 0.0 would halt motion in that direction, though I really haven't studied it...

How does the ZFree part work? I didn't realize an object with a _Free magnet could move around in the air...
im not positive but i think actiontype 10 maybe overrides physics being applied to an object with an attached magnet if an x,y,z velocity is set. maybe it has to be greater than zero for the override to occur? magnets in this game are confusing the hell out of me right now.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

morningstarring wrote: im not positive but i think actiontype 10 maybe overrides physics being applied to an object with an attached magnet if an x,y,z velocity is set. maybe it has to be greater than zero for the override to occur? magnets in this game are confusing the hell out of me right now.
Yup, already implemented the changes as set the following Magnets attached to the Drone_GunShip-00 and the InVisaGun-00 to;

Code: Select all

bool XTFree = true
    bool YTFree = false
    bool ZTFree = true

Then change the script of Trig_RotateDrone to what is below;

int ext_GeometryType = 1
    string Class = "CCollisionTrigger"
    string FireExpression = "!@Trig_FlightStatus-00"
    string Element1 = "Rotate"
    bool SoundMaterial1 = true
    string Element2 = "ANNE-HAND"
    bool SoundMaterial2 = true
    float RepeatPeriod = 5.000000
    int FireCount = -1
    int ProcessStyle = 3
    group Action00 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        string MasterObject = "Drone_GunShip-00"
        bool Delta = false
        bool ZTFree = false
        bool ZFree = true
    }
    group Action01 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        string Target = "Drone_GunShip-00"
        bool Frozen = false
    }
    group Action02 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        bool Impulse = true
        string Emitter = "$RotateDroneLft-00"
        float Push = 10.000000
    }
    group Action03 = {
        int ActionType = 25
        float Delay = 2.500000
    }
    group Action04 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        bool Frozen = true
    }
    group Action05 = {
        int ActionType = 34
        string OverlayText = ". . . Drone is rotating."
        float TextDisplayTime = 3.000000
        float R = 1.000000
        float G = 1.000000
        float B = 1.000000
    }
    group Action06 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        bool Delta = false
        bool ZTFree = true
        bool ZFree = false
    }
}

You must be doing your homework, M.S. ;) The code changes appear to have eliminated casual drift. Added a slight uplift on hover as mentioned above to counter gradual height loss. Been
tossing around the idea below (portable drone controller), but whether that comes together I have yet to determine -
Attachments
possible portable drone controller
possible portable drone controller
Drone_Remote.png (26.21 KiB) Viewed 647 times
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Rebel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:21 pm
morningstarring wrote: im not positive but i think actiontype 10 maybe overrides physics being applied to an object with an attached magnet if an x,y,z velocity is set. maybe it has to be greater than zero for the override to occur? magnets in this game are confusing the hell out of me right now.
Yup, already implemented the changes as set the following Magnets attached to the Drone_GunShip-00 and the InVisaGun-00 to;

Code: Select all

bool XTFree = true
    bool YTFree = false
    bool ZTFree = true

Then change the script of Trig_RotateDrone to what is below;

int ext_GeometryType = 1
    string Class = "CCollisionTrigger"
    string FireExpression = "!@Trig_FlightStatus-00"
    string Element1 = "Rotate"
    bool SoundMaterial1 = true
    string Element2 = "ANNE-HAND"
    bool SoundMaterial2 = true
    float RepeatPeriod = 5.000000
    int FireCount = -1
    int ProcessStyle = 3
    group Action00 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        bool Delta = false
        bool ZTFree = false
        bool ZFree = true
    }
    group Action01 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        bool Frozen = false
    }
    group Action02 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        bool Impulse = true
        string Emitter = "$RotateDroneLft-00"
        float Push = 10.000000
    }
    group Action03 = {
        int ActionType = 25
        float Delay = 2.500000
    }
    group Action04 = {
        int ActionType = 10
        bool Frozen = true
    }
    group Action05 = {
        int ActionType = 34
        string OverlayText = ". . . Drone is rotating."
        float TextDisplayTime = 3.000000
        float R = 1.000000
        float G = 1.000000
        float B = 1.000000
    }
    group Action06 = {
        int ActionType = 20
        bool Delta = false
        bool ZTFree = true
        bool ZFree = false
    }
}

You must be doing your homework, M.S. ;) The code changes appear to have eliminated casual drift. Added a slight uplift on hover as mentioned above to counter gradual height loss. Been
tossing around the idea below (portable drone controller), but whether that comes together I have yet to determine -
you're way ahead of me. I'm surprised I haven't experienced any game loading errors since magnets have always gave me issues in the past when trying to get them to function. I don't know if what i've been toying around with is leading anywhere. im just screwing around with rotating a platform and seeing what actions and parameters seem to influence movement. I was hoping using an emitter attached as a $physics box for forward motion would push in the direction the platform was pointed after a rotation. it still just pushes in the y direction of its original creation. It doesn't change orientation during gameplay im assuming. results have been strange and seemingly inconsistent. it's killing time i suppose, a bit frustrating though lol.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm I am pleasantly surprised Tres magnets are working so well, in these scripts... I just want to note a critical discovery of mine, that wouldn't affect the drone if it has no attached physics models. I once tested a drawer opening with a single _TFree value. By looking at the script, you'd think the drawer would simply pull out along the transition axis. However it went all crazy:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/h6X8ORcwt-0?si=HeDkpNkgqOVs_Xrj[/youtube]

I discovered later on, the reason the crane arm in IJ retail does not rotate up and down, despite a magnet which seems like it should do that being present. I fixed it so it DOES rotate that way, in JPDS, by bringing the arm into Max and changing all the pivot of the crane arm + physics models to be pointing in the same direction. It seems Tres gets confused when multiple orientations are present in the same moving body. I am confident the drawer's behavior is due to physics boxes having pivots that point in multiple directions.

EDIT: Not sure why my youtube tag isn't working... Maybe the underscore in the name.