20th Anniversary of Trescom Community Level (RELEASED pg. 25)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: 20th Anniversary of Trescom Community Level

Post by MinePass »

Will post my edit tomorrow after work. Just need to test and make my notes. Edit: handed the map over to TrespasserGuy so he can fix a few things.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

ALLLRIGHT here's the latest version of the level, if anyone wants to have a go at editing it :yum:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2m8wu8de ... y.zip/file

I believe with the release of this version, we have a general understanding of what we want the starting area to look like :nerd:
Attachments
TPass019resize.bmp
TPass019resize.bmp (763.06 KiB) Viewed 34782 times
Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

I wish I was more active in adding on to this project. I made up a building a while back for it, but I've have been really focusing these past couple of months on my life. hopefully I can get that textured and in game before final release.
In 2012, I was abused by a Weird Al lookalike. :nerd: :cry:
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

No worries, that's understandable. What kind of building is it?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey everyone, I've got the level and will post when I've finished some editing. :statue:
Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

It's two warehouse type buildings with water pipes connecting between the two. It was inspired by my earliest memory I have of trespasser.
Attachments
TresPic.JPG
TresPic.JPG (48.89 KiB) Viewed 34746 times
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Wow, that's a nice looking model. Very industrial. Looks like the platform on the building to the left could be used as a platform for trains.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That model looks great!! So glad we have Blender supported now. And hmm do we want a train?

Alright, been working on this off and on, ready to release a version now, since my laptop is overheating and making TresEd sluggish. Edits include the addition of a few ambient sound triggers, terrain augmenting for the town plateau, and the first set of walls for the town barrier. A lot of discussion has been going on in Discord about the level; we've elected to call the town "Hughes", in the memory of TSOrd, and to make a park for him in the center which leads to the Mod Museum. The latter is to be put together from TI's reception model from RTJP.
TresCom20_Hughes01.png
TresCom20_Hughes01.png (454.31 KiB) Viewed 34692 times
TresCom20_ModMuseum01.png
TresCom20_ModMuseum01.png (584.01 KiB) Viewed 34692 times
As well MinePass has been putting together a concept art image for a main harbor, to bring supplies to this TresCom outpost. The Kaiju theme continues with the presence of a massive plesiosaurid skeleton. I'll let him explain the image.
TresCom20_Harbor03.png
TresCom20_Harbor03.png (417.3 KiB) Viewed 34692 times
And finally, here are the new files:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/uoq8bxpj ... us.7z/file
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

So, the harbor is split into two sections. The first area has a warehouse, blue rectangle, (originally the one from the Lb, but planning on replacing it with Deadeyes building) and three wood piers. A wood bridge (not drawn) connects the two areas but has been wrecked in some incident. In order to get to the other harbor section, the player has to walk onto the fourth pier that extends out into the plesiosaurs stomach, a crane off to the side. A small fishing boat, green, rests in the center, as if it was swallowed. The puzzle here is that the player has to lower the crane arm creating a bridge to the boat, the crane here could also be the construction vehicle from IJ3 since this isn't really heavily used area. Once on board there's a boat hook for a future puzzle that the player can take. From the boat the player next jumps onto a shipping container that is floating nearby, red rectangle, however there is a trigger for it to sink if the player lingers to long. Now the player is on the other side, this area is rather sparse in clutter. a collection of shipping containers, brown rectangle, a long L concrete pier for a large cargo ship, white, (won't actually be there), and a couple of cranes, one holding a shipping container with busted doors (the Atlantic). the puzzle here is to use some plywood to create bridges and ramps up to the top of the tallest container and jump inside the open Atlantic container. Here you riffle around until finding the puzzle needed object (could be a keycard or something else). Upon finding it the weight distributions from your action causes the cable to snap dropping the container to the ground, you'll survive but a few raptors have noticed you and are running at you from the bridge. you can either fight or flee back to the top of the container where you started, regardless your stuck on this side of the docks. The task now is to use a piece of plywood to bridge over to the perimeter wall and jump down.
Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

a rough generalized puzzle that can make this location interesting. Keep this idea in mind when adding on to puzzle layers for future reference :!:
Attachments
tresbuild.JPG
tresbuild.JPG (124.06 KiB) Viewed 34679 times
Tresbuild2.JPG
Tresbuild2.JPG (81.07 KiB) Viewed 34679 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

This warehouse thing is cool. I like that it has pipes and stuff. Maybe we can call it View Building 2.0 (For those not aware, the View building is the gray and glass-windowed building scene in proto images of PV settings, shown sometimes next to a wood bridge and with a porta potty.)
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Going to do a quick edit, getting the basics for the Harbor set up.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks fantastic, Deadeyeguy. Wish I could model buildings that cleanly! :) I'm interested to see how the harbour area has progressed and how this all connects. I'd like to see about creating more interesting areas between our current points-of-interest so there's less walking and more puzzle-solving or action as I felt that was something we did well in the first anniversary level. That's definitely something I think we need to keep in mind as we progress.

EDIT: Ah, and I wonder what ever happened to the more complete reception model - I've gotta have it somewhere still. The version that was released in the final version was only meant to be seen fron the distance and as such it's missing the stairs, railings, and interior stuff. That will definitely look a lot better in our town, though I believe it was still partially unfinished...I can definitely help guide anyone who wants to finish it.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Click on Image
Click on Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot, this notion of interest-development for in-between level-spaces seems so frequent in your expression of level creation focus as to seem a candidate for the basis of your entire approach to modding. It certainly seems like a good idea!

Hmm, I put a tiny cropping of rocks and a river tree, between the first gate and the overpass TresGuy put over the entrance to the forest. Its relatively isolated position was meant to draw some attention. I can imagine that a small item, like a motorcycle or something, could give it sufficient interest and bridge the gap to the following area.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheIdiot, this notion of interest-development for in-between level-spaces seems so frequent in your expression of level creation focus as to seem a candidate for the basis of your entire approach to modding. It certainly seems like a good idea!
Yeah, that's one thing I've always focused on in world design in general. You should see the extent I've gone to with CloningFacility to incorporate this idea - it's probably part of why I take so long to do anything...I spent hours moving foliage around trying to get sight lines right. However in this case since the level isn't so overly detailed, we can probably do this in a much easier fashion. We're off to a good start with the bridge and gate for sure, but I want to make sure we don't end up with too many large expanses of open space with not much going on as that I find can lead to boring levels. I believe the original Tres developers followed this philosophy closely as well; just take a look at the original JR version.