20th Anniversary of Trescom Community Level (RELEASED pg. 25)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: 20th Anniversary of Trescom Community Level

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

claiming 8)
In 2012, I was abused by a Weird Al lookalike. :nerd: :cry:
Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

Giving up my pass at the level. Recent stuff has popped up that is more important. :) Use the last pages version. Sorry for that
In 2012, I was abused by a Weird Al lookalike. :nerd: :cry:
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I want to try a texture test with the entrance area of the current version of the level. I'll post screenshots when I see what it will look like. It's just a test though. So I'm not claiming the level. If it works and everyone likes it then maybe we can incorporate it into the final.

The idea is related to this old screenshot of a test map. Keep in mind you can always add terrain objects for added detail. This was just a test of a general under layer to the objects. I never got as far as detailed and varied terrain objects :( hehe
The distant texture is actually bigger than the ones up close, but similar pixel density. To get rid of tiling on out of player areas.

Of note, I had to use many large tessellated sheets to get the texture effect at a distance. When I tried one huge sheet it got really slow/buggy. Not exactly sure why. Had to split it up basically. I have trouble lining up large sheets in the editor...

The idea would be to fill in the general underneath layer of the terrain with random tiling/matching(to the location) large objects. Leaving room for anyone to add details above that lower level.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm, trying to line up my concept with what you're saying.
This was just a test of a general under layer to the objects.
I can't really decipher how this is represented in the image. I'd want also a screenshot of the trnobjs, perhaps selected to show the borders in pink.
The distant texture is actually bigger than the ones up close, but similar pixel density. To get rid of tiling on out of player areas.
When you say the texture is bigger but same pixel density. Do you mean that the trnobj is bigger but the texture ends up the same size relative to other trnobjs? Or some other way of pixel density being the same?
I have trouble lining up large sheets in the editor...
Some time ago I personally decided that imprecise TresEd placement of connected objs, both trnobjs and building block models, is not necessarily going to make a noticable difference while playing, so you can eyeball it in TresEd and not worry too much.
There are some cases where I get exact in a quick fashion. Recall that a default square, 1-texture trnobj is exactly 1 meter square when its scale is 8.0. By becoming familiar with variations of this detail on other objs, and remembering powers-of-two or how they add up (512+256 = 768, etc.), you can move a massive trnobj into place and then manually correct it by finding the closest power-of-two. This works for me with the massive Base trnobj, if you begin it at a location which is already lining up to the terrain grid area. Let me know which points may need clarification if you're interested.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

You'll notice tiling is greatly decreased using 3x3 tessellated terrain objects everywhere. I think I have to keep all terrain objects at the default scale because of glitching someone mentioned. But it can still get rid of tiling in the distance.

You just have a lot more textures to represent each patch of grass or i.e. large terrain object. Gets rid of tiling. I know this can be done manually with many terrain objects though, with mixed results. No one ever seems to want to detail an entire landscape. Especially at distances outside player space. I'm hoping maybe this will solve some problems. Especially with eliminating a tiling effect in the default game.

You just add detail over the top of the lowest tessellated layer. It makes up the base of the landscape texture. Lowest level. Below roads, rocks, sand, etc..
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Multi-texture tiles to reduce tiling, right. Well I look forward to whenever I have a pass at the level again.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

I'm gonna break this curse that's been lingering and get some work done on the level. I'll post my update ASAP
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

So, how's this going?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Always nice to see some progress, no matter how minor. The way the roads are all starting to shape-up and come together is starting to make it appear more cohesive. I'm still not sure exactly what the direction of the progress should be for the player, other than that they have to get into the Town Hall-building. That's one setback of doing a bigger, more open kind of level like this which I think needs to be considered a bit more before we end up with too much to see but too little to do, if you see what I mean.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

What parts of progression do you think we should plan?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:What parts of progression do you think we should plan?
Just where the player has to go in order to finish the level, in what order. It seems important to at least have a direction of travel for the player so we know what locations will and won't be accessible until certain points of the level. Right now my impression is that the harbour and aviary are largely just eye-candy, I'm not sure how they fit into the big picture.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, my own impression was that Anne goes through the first gate and then either left to the Terminus and bunker, down into the valley, or right to beach and Harbor, with a couple paths leading North.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Hey, People. Just skimmed through the posts; some of the screenshots look quite interesting. Planning on finishing this up before I die of old age? :lol: (just partly joking, no
one truly knows when one's number is up). Anyways, glad to see a community driven project and hope to see (and play it) it in a completed stage. Haven't had much time or
energy as of late, but I'll check in on this in the near future.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

OMG you're alive.