Editing retail maps, how to rename and etc?

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Editing retail maps, how to rename and etc?

Post by Teromen »

Does anyone know how to extract the relail maps? Rename them so people can play them without messing up their game directory?

I'm testing a texture update to test scene and want to be able to release it, one with baked shadows. I've been told it ok to release customized retail maps.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Editing retail maps, how to rename and etc?

Post by TheIdiot »

Teromen wrote:Does anyone know how to extract the relail maps? Rename them so people can play them without messing up their game directory?

I'm testing a texture update to test scene and want to be able to release it, one with baked shadows. I've been told it ok to release customized retail maps.
Apparently the retail levels can be quite finnicky when it comes to renaming and all that stuff. I'm no expert on it, but if you're just looking to change the terrain textures, my suggestion is to make a new level using ShellGen, call it whatever you like, and just use the .wtd from TestScene. You could then re-import everything directly from TestScene or do your own thing with the objects that way.
You also need to .swp files from the original levels to open them instead of the .spz files, which you can get by either launching them in-game or using the SWPZ tool.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Using GeomAdd is generally the best way to rename a level if you don't want to do a level from scratch and export/import it.

Otherwise I would suggest to just set it up as a standalone mod with CE.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Apparently the retail levels can be quite finnicky when it comes to renaming and all that stuff.
That's really a myth. The problem with levels not working properly after renaming them is actually due to the fact that several retail levels have errors that weren't fixed, even though they they're still somehow playable. After those errors are fixed, the renamed levels work fine.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

How do I get the other files for the level? Scn, pid, grf.

Do I need to make a brand new version of a level and then copy the pid and swp over?

Edit: I can add models to the level but not textures.
Last edited by Teromen on Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Teromen wrote:How do I get the other files for the level? Scn, pid, grf.

Do I need to make a brand new version of a level and then copy the pid and swp over?
Not sure what you mean? Renaming in GeomAdd will rename all 5 files.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

They aren't in the data folder.

Edit: Hmm, seems geomadd added them. I'll have to figure out why my textures wont import.

Edit: In the mean time I'll make my ray traced texture into a flat model instead. It would just be easier to use a texture... That way I could keep tweaking it till its right.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I still don't understand what you mean.

Did you rename a level through GeomAdd, and it didn't rename all files? Or did you create new level files with Shell Generator?

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I'm just using the original level. But I can't add textures.

So I made a model instead and it worked. But I messed up somewhere along the way and have to redo the model... Some shadows are missing... Anyway, I'll post some screens later today. My PC has been messing up lately so Im getting everything back up and running. Once I'm done i'll make the model and import it and see if the shadows cast correctly. I'll let you guys know later tonight.

Edit: Does anyone know how to save a map with Guiapp? After editing it.
Tresed has my shadows in the wrong spot when I go in game. They show up properly in Guiapp but I can't save my changes. Any ideas?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Some time ago I commented on how it's better not to have the registry entries pointing to the actual location of your Trespasser install... it's most likely that TresEd is reading the files from that location instead of the ones you're modifying on a different folder. So you don't see any of the changes you've made adding things with GeomAdd because TresEd keeps loading the other, untouched files with the same name as the modified ones.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Geomadd tells me the texture wasn't added. Gives an error.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I'm just using the original level. But I can't add textures.
Have you made sure the level is using a SWP and not a SPZ file?
So I made a model instead and it worked.
GeomAdd don't allow you to only add textures. They need to be on a model.
Edit: Does anyone know how to save a map with Guiapp? After editing it.
You can't. I believe you can save the SCN of the level, but you can't use GUIApp for level editing. TresEd loads from the GRF and ignore any differences in the SCN file.
Tresed has my shadows in the wrong spot when I go in game. They show up properly in Guiapp but I can't save my changes. Any ideas?
TresEd don't show shadows properly on modern hardware. For most people, TresEd don't case shadows at all.
Some time ago I commented on how it's better not to have the registry entries pointing to the actual location of your Trespasser install... it's most likely that TresEd is reading the files from that location instead of the ones you're modifying on a different folder. So you don't see any of the changes you've made adding things with GeomAdd because TresEd keeps loading the other, untouched files with the same name as the modified ones.
This. If you have the game installed, and the level files in the /data folder. Loading a level with the same name in another folder will always load the level in the /data folder.
Geomadd tells me the texture wasn't added. Gives an error.
Please let us know what error it gives (you could just post the whole log in a spoiler tag). It is possible the texture is not the correct format.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey Teroman! Lots of details about modding which come up. What kind of Trespasser install are you working with?
Hopefully you copied the CD files into a folder on your PC and installed from there. If not, definitely do this first. My Tres Newb Guide thread has more details.
Assuming you have the two separate folders. The CD folder has the original 5 level files, which in retail terms means SCN, GRF, SPZ, PID, and WTD. The SPZ is a compressed version of the SWP, which holds textures. The SWP is created by Tres and put into the -installation- folder that you made by installing the game. TresEd uses this 1 file when you select which level to open, because originally it was necessary to make sure the user was not trying to open a level from only the CD contents. Therefore, the level files are found in 2 different locations.
We recommend the use of Trespasser CE, which puts all the level files into tidy folders. The main data folder is kept for the retail game usually, and individual mod folders (including genera-fan-mod) are given their own /data folders that have the 5 level files (with SWP instead of SPZ).

When you import a model to a level, GeomAdd will be adding any new textures to a SWP file. I haven't tried doing this when the level files are in separate folders, but anyway - assuming you have an unmodded TestScene somewhere, you can make sure you have a working SWP and then just delete the SPZ, and have them all in the same folder. GeomAdd should then be able to import new textures as usual.