Trespasser Arena - (new release 16 December 2021)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Arena - (new release 11 April 2021)

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

TheIdiot wrote:Beat the second level last night. Didn't have much trouble with it, the two guns were just enough to bring him down. I tried a second time using only the knife again but couldn't seem to consistently damage the spinosaurus enough to actually kill him. I also tried running him off the cliff by the Aviary building but I hit the invisible wall - maybe instead you could add a trigger to kill the spinosaur (and Anne) when they go over the cliff since running out of ammo seems to be a "game over" at the moment; this would provide an alternative way to defeat him.
Also, the spinosaur's health regenerates pretty quickly, so it might be a good idea to eliminate this or reduce his healing, since if you have difficulty finding the second gun after you've already unloaded the first, it's possible for him to regenerate fast enough to survive being hit by entire magazine of the other gun.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll look into those things for the next release.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Also, the spinosaur's health regenerates pretty quickly, so it might be a good idea to eliminate this or reduce his healing, since if you have difficulty finding the second gun after you've already unloaded the first, it's possible for him to regenerate fast enough to survive being hit by entire magazine of the other gun.
I think that may have been what happened to me at first, then the last time I jut picked up the first two guns and went to crouch where the third one is before starting to shoot it from there...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Ya, I got him the 1st time around, but only because you guys gave me the info I needed to make my 1st battle
my last battle. ;)

There's got to be a way of linking the arenas to the hub, I'm assuming that's your ultimate goal, Mike? Beat 1,
go back to the hub, pick another arena, etc
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Rebel wrote:There's got to be a way of linking the arenas to the hub, I'm assuming that's your ultimate goal, Mike? Beat 1,
Yup, that's what I'm leaning towards now. It's easy enough to return the player to the hub when the dino is defeated. I think I want the 3rd and final arena to trigger the true ending. The current one that plays a prerendered cutscene inside the raptor arena will probably be replaced.

By the way, I just have to share that Deadeyeguy_45 live streamed TArena~R in the Discord server and did a "rock only" run where he brutally defeated the raptors by bashing them all in the face with rocks... it was a sight to see!
Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

lmao! Nothing better than beating something to death with what it was dug out of in the first place. :pirate: Really looking forward to the future for what the arena holds!
In 2012, I was abused by a Weird Al lookalike. :nerd: :cry:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

MikeTheRaptor wrote:
Rebel wrote:There's got to be a way of linking the arenas to the hub, I'm assuming that's your ultimate goal, Mike? Beat 1,
Have you tried making multiple .scn files for each version of the hub which are loaded by each sequential arena? I believe that should work.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

TheIdiot wrote:
MikeTheRaptor wrote:
Have you tried making multiple .scn files for each version of the hub which are loaded by each sequential arena? I believe that should work.
I'm trying to recall what happens when you use tresed's scn generated files. I.E., if you play through a level, then hit restart level,
doesn't it just load the level exactly as it was before you bailed out of the level? I'm wondering, say you complete the 1st hub, the
dinos are dead, then return to the hub, would reloading that 1st hub load up the 1st hub with all the dinos already dead?

*I have to check into that. I wonder if actiontype 19 (save level action) might be useful -
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

TheIdiot wrote:
MikeTheRaptor wrote:
This is an option, although I was slightly concerned about the bloat of having three sets of TArena~hub level files. Considering how small each level is though, it may still be smaller overall than some large outdoor levels.

So the order of the levels would basically be like this:
TArena~hub: Only Raptor Arena is accessible
TArena~R
TArena~hub2: Only Spino Arena is accessible
TArena~S
TArena~hub3: Only Final Arena is accessible
Final Arena

We had previously discussed the possibility of using Squirrel script to carry data from one level to another, but that seems pretty complicated and I wonder how that would affect trying to replay the mod from the first level when you've already completed it.

Whatever option I go with will come down to how much time I really want to spend :) At the end of the day, I think getting the Final Arena completed and accessible is enough of a success on its own! But making the mod something you progress through with a clear beginning and end is also very nice.

We shall see :)
Rebel wrote:*I have to check into that. I wonder if actiontype 19 (save level action) might be useful -
This is an interesting idea as well. I haven't worked with that AT yet, but I'm interested to see how it could be used.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Can someone post a screenshot? I'd love to see the baked lighting on the buildings.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Teromen wrote:Can someone post a screenshot? I'd love to see the baked lighting on the buildings.
Here is an ingame screenshot of the "hub" with reflections and some baked in ambient occlusion. I originally wanted some really dramatic shadows being cast on the walls by the stone gateways, but I ultimately went with something a little milder with just ambient occlusion. I'm still excited to see someone bake some nice shadows/lighting into the game :)

I found out recently that there is a Raytracing injector that is compatible with Trespasser and will actually provide native support for ambient occlusion in the engine, which is pretty cool. Mine were baked in using Blender.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

MikeTheRaptor wrote: I found out recently that there is a Raytracing injector that is compatible with Trespasser and will actually provide native support for ambient occlusion in the engine, which is pretty cool. Mine were baked in using Blender.
Say what?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

machf wrote:Say what?
I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's called Reshade.

Here is an article with a video demonstrating it: https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer- ... h-tracing/

It's not particularly noticeable in Trespasser except in situations where there is an object near a wall or something, similar to the gateway in the screenshot I shared earlier.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I didn't get very good results with reshade. Your baked lighting looks a lot better. That's pretty neat with the curves.

I was thinking, would hard shadows without A.O. better match the "hard" terrain lighting in Trespasser? I wanna try both and see what happens. I should try it and release a test map or something to judge community opinion.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Teromen wrote:Your baked lighting looks a lot better. That's pretty neat with the curves.
Thanks :) Yes, I created high poly versions of those models in Blender and baked the lighting detail onto low poly in-game versions so I could get better looking curves.
Teromen wrote:I was thinking, would hard shadows without A.O. better match the "hard" terrain lighting in Trespasser? I wanna try both and see what happens. I should try it and release a test map or something to judge community opinion.
Definitely try it out. I'm excited to see that other people are experimenting with simulated lighting in Trespasser. I think we can really achieve some cool looking things that will be surprising for people who are used to Trespasser looking a certain way if we are creative about using techniques like baking :D
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I wish I could bake the landscape without using 4,000 textures.