Trespasser Arena - (new release 16 December 2021)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Trespasser Arena - (new release 11 April 2021)

Post by Draconisaurus »

'Ello! I finally have gotten around to both of these. The uhm gateway level concept has been waiting to happen for yeeeaaarrrs, I'm glad SOMEONE finally did it. Looks great.

Mike, how long has it been since you started your own attempt at HuntersCamp? How long after entering modding did your first level take to release? :lol: I thought we'd never see it happen! Really nice. I enjoy how these levels are thematic and not meant to reflect typical reality.

TI, people continue to bring out new Nublar-sort things in their releases after yours has finished! I find it a good sign, and wasn't at all sure such a thing would happen. I feel/felt it has an inherently daunting vibe to those who consider it. Melikes to think there may be more!
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Draconisaurus wrote:Mike, how long has it been since you started your own attempt at HuntersCamp? How long after entering modding did your first level take to release? :lol: I thought we'd never see it happen!
It has been a very long time coming :lol: It was probably 2005 or something when I toyed with the idea of making the HuntersCamp level and I've never really taken a stab it again until now!
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

MikeTheRaptor wrote:I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's called Reshade.

Here is an article with a video demonstrating it: https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer- ... h-tracing/

It's not particularly noticeable in Trespasser except in situations where there is an object near a wall or something, similar to the gateway in the screenshot I shared earlier.
The "raytracing" in that video looks horrible. It just looks like there is this orange glow from Anne's arm and other objects emit darkness. There might be other shaders that do a better job, but that one is ugly. We have the source code for Trespasser, how hard would it be to implement Nvidia's RTX raytracing API? It would do a way better job if it was implemented directly rather than Reshade doing some post-processing.

Anyway, I've yet to play the actual arenas, but that hub level is magnificent! :o
tatu

Post by tatu »

Nick3069 wrote:
MikeTheRaptor wrote:I haven't tried it myself yet, but it's called Reshade.

Here is an article with a video demonstrating it: https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer- ... h-tracing/

It's not particularly noticeable in Trespasser except in situations where there is an object near a wall or something, similar to the gateway in the screenshot I shared earlier.
The "raytracing" in that video looks horrible. It just looks like there is this orange glow from Anne's arm and other objects emit darkness. There might be other shaders that do a better job, but that one is ugly. We have the source code for Trespasser, how hard would it be to implement Nvidia's RTX raytracing API? It would do a way better job if it was implemented directly rather than Reshade doing some post-processing.
Probably more difficult than you would think. We've had the source since 2011 or so, and the only upgrade we've had is CE. Even OpenTres have issues modernizing the code and a working build is probably years away as well.
We would also need people who knows a lot of programming. ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote: TI, people continue to bring out new Nublar-sort things in their releases after yours has finished! I find it a good sign, and wasn't at all sure such a thing would happen. I feel/felt it has an inherently daunting vibe to those who consider it. Melikes to think there may be more!
Personally I love seeing more JP1-themed stuff, even if nobody tries to be quite as ambitious as I was. In fact, I'd say that's a good thing. I think it would be really cool to see another smaller ED-type level that takes place on Nublar but perhaps recreates a different scene from the film, such as the scene where Muldoon is killed by the Raptors - maybe he kills them this time and then has to make it back to the bunker, or escape the island a different way.
I agree. After having used ReShade quite a fair bit for various games, I find all it tends to do is make games uglier, unless you're just using it for simple effects like vignette, sepia, etc. My tests with it on Trespasser always looked too bloomy, and the other effects were usually rendered improperly, such as this Raytracing effect. Its effects can't be implemented properly without being linked more directly to the games' code since most of them use a somewhat touchy fake depth buffer effect.
Personally, I don't think Tres even looks that bad for a 1998 video game. It looks a lot nicer than many other popular games released that year, and I even find it looks nicer than some post-2000 games once you start getting into modded levels. Its graphics have a charm to them that adding all of these post-processing effects seems to eliminate.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I used to have an idea in mind for playing as Ellie to get from Muldoon to the bunker, some sort of race to the end thing. I imagine the length would be of a dramatically longer length to promote gameplay, with raptors popping in and out, or other things getting in the way. Anyway I'm pretty sure my accuracy-remake days are over so I guess we'll both have to be patient.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

New, complete version released today on TresCom https://www.trescom.org/download/trespasser-arena/

Updates & Changes:
- Polished Intro cutscene
- New main menu design
- Added credits cutscene
- Complete experience from start to finish
- Level file is now a "shippable scn" that should not glitch when reloaded

Still features:
- Endgame cutscene
- Raptor Arena

Cutting room floor:
- Removed Spino Arena
- Removed Hub level
For the sake of releasing a finished product and getting my first ever completed level (after nearly two decades!) onto TresCom, I removed these.
The Hub, as cool as it was to experience a mirror effect in Trespasser, broke the progression of the mod.

Thanks to everyone who played early versions of this mod :)
Please consider checking out the finished product to get the full experience.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser Arena - (new release 16 December 2021)

Post by machf »

Nice. Let's take a good look this afternoon...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Nice to see this mod finished! Will check it out soon. :)
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Is it supposed to be a area with 3 or 4 dinos only and then the ending cutscene? Or am I running it wrong? I figure it has way more than that. I must be doing something wrong.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Teromen wrote:Is it supposed to be a area with 3 or 4 dinos only and then the ending cutscene? Or am I running it wrong? I figure it has way more than that. I must be doing something wrong.
Hi Teromen! Thanks for checking out the level.

It's just a single arena fight as you described. The other levels I had planned were cut from the final version.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Cool. For some reason I was picturing a large map full of dinos heh. Is it possible to emulate more raptors jumping down from the overhead area after those are destroyed?

I like your buildings. I wish I had that kind of astatic talent.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Teromen wrote:Cool. For some reason I was picturing a large map full of dinos heh. Is it possible to emulate more raptors jumping down from the overhead area after those are destroyed?

I like your buildings. I wish I had that kind of astatic talent.
Ty :D I just "copied what others had done" basically, remaking the bunker & raptor pen from the movie - and certainly not as accurately as some other people have.

I'm not a huge fan of large maps personally, so I've focused on smaller levels. Even open world games - I just don't like spending a lot of time traveling from one location to another in game.

It's definitely possible to make raptors jump down from overhead after the first few are killed! There are already triggers in place in my level which track when the dinosaurs die to cause another thing to happen, so it can be done!

I had some other levels planned for Trespasser Arena, but I decided to cut them to get a complete version of this released. I think that I had the most fun making the cutscenes and menu to be honest! Using TresEd & GeomAdd can be really tedious, at least for me. Actually, writing the T-Scripts was kind of fun too. Looping music, level loading triggers that are based on whether you or all of the dinosaurs die, certain music tracks which play whether you or the dinosaurs die - those were fun puzzles to figure out how to get working.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I played a user map that had raptors dropping down a cave opening. That was an interesting experience lol. Do you think you should bake ray traced shadows onto the mesh's? To match the ground dynamic lighting?
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Teromen wrote:Do you think you should bake ray traced shadows onto the mesh's? To match the ground dynamic lighting?
At this point, I'm not looking to make any additional changes to the Raptor Arena level. I worked on it for about a year or so and I am happy to get a final release out and to start thinking about and potentially working on other things :)

I'm a huge fan of the idea of baking lighting details such as shadows and ambient occlusion into the textures for Trespasser! I find the process a bit tedious and time consuming though and anything that moves (Anne, dinos, physics objects) won't cast shadows except on terrain as far as I know. In the Raptor Arena, the ground is actually a model so that I could use a higher resolution texture since Tres CE does not support high res textures for terrain, so there are no real time in-engine shadows at all in Trespasser Arena.

Someone could make some really cool environments using baked lighting and shadows though that I think would really surprise people familiar with Trespasser who wouldn't be expecting it.