Parasaurolophus

Limahuli finished

Post by Teromen »

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Limahuli finished

Post by machf »

Didn't check the forum earlier, so I'm going to ownload it now but won't try it until tomorrow, going to bed now...

(EDIT: who am I kidding? I eneded up playing it for like half an hour anyway, before I was just too tied and had to go to bed...)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

Will download and play later tonight :)
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

not too shabby! The terrain editing was pretty good in my opinion as was vegetation placement. You may want to add "bool ActWander = true" to your raptor script. Otherwise they just stand around for the most part. they were easy pickins. Also adding the following values

float Anger = 0.xxxxxxx
float Bravery = 0.xxxxxxx
float Hunger = 0.xxxxxxx

to the script gives them additional behavioral changes. I usually set anger and bravery to 0.99999 and hunger to 0.50000 or lower. I like vicious raptors though. other than that the level ran fine and the keycard triggers worked so job well done.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I liked the overall look of the level a lot. eally nice views from a lot of places. Maybe add a couple easter eggs in some places I was drawn to but didn't find anything there...
Gotta love the SPAS shotguns, 1 headshot = 1 kill, and from a distance...
It may be worth making it longer, I didn't know if that was going to be the end there or there was more to come...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Finished this a little while ago! I quite like the final product - small and simple. The terrain in particular is the highlight, it looks very nice and the textures are vibrant, crisp and realistic. I managed to clip the first keycard through a building (which was entirely my fault - I fumbled it trying to dodge a Raptor) so I ended up having to use FLY to get through the first gate. Other than that everything went smoothly, no major problems! Your custom buildings are nice to see...one small bug I noticed is that the concrete bunker has wood SoundMaterials. Found just enough guns to dispatch everything as well, and I was glad to find that the Raptors aren't bullet-sponges like the dreaded Tribe Cs tend to be. The ending was a bit abrupt, but made sense in terms of gameplay, though I would have liked to have had something perhaps a bit more climactic to top it off.

I have to second machf's suggestion to put something in the empty corner areas which at the moment house nothing really of value. The little pond by the bunker did wonders filling out that area and bringing it together. I'd like to see more little details like that for people who decide to trek off the beaten path.
Additionally I did feel that there were a couple of stretches that might have benefitted from something different to see or do...even something as simple as a broken-down vehicle to stop at on the way from one place to another would help to break up the walking-between-points areas and make things feel more alive.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I was thinking maybe a corpse buried under rocks from a landslide suggesting someone tried to go by that same route before and didn't make it...
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the level. I'm debating releasing an update or moving on to the next map with everything taken into mind.

My eventual goal is to make an entire big terrain and split it into smaller levels to offer a new campaign. Right now I'm in the learning stage with the game engine and editing tools. I might release a few single maps and then use the experience to make an entire level pack. I'll provably have to learn how to make a low detail video for an intro and exit to the game. I don't know if I will ever get this far but its been a plan for about a decade or longer. My problem is I'm horrible at coming up with ideas.

Edit: I'll get an update out soon for anyone that is interested. I'd like to redo the vegetation to look more realistic and fix some shadows. Plus the A.I. issues etc.

Edit: I edited the a.i. for the raptors and they are act a lot better. Thank you morning.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

So I played through your level and I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. I think the terrain and the new models were the best part of the level.
Spoiler: show
I really loved the cave, but I think you could add more to it like having stalactites coming down from the roof of the cave. And maybe add some moss to the entrance of it
One thing that I was rather disappointed in was the lack of clutter in those concrete bunkers. I think it would add another level of detail to put some boxes, oil barrels, or some yellow crates inside the bunker.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

So... I redid the vegetation. And I think I overdid it a bit lol. Think I should thin it or or leave it as is? The framerate is ok, but a bit slower. I ran it through GuiApp and converted to a shippable scn.

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

So long as it doesn't crash due to either object overload or too many intersecting transparent faces, it should be fine.
I'd like to suggest using a bit more TrnObj variety underneath the densest areas of vegetation in order to make it look a little bit more overgrown. At the moment, the massive amount of green plants don't blend in especially well with the tan terrain. Adding in some greenish terrain textures or reducing the density of the brown textures underneath the plants might help tie it all together. :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Looking good...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Again, I must return sometime to play this one.. looks cool.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Okay! I have finished this level. Can't quite remember the first part now but, throughout the level I was impressed with the gradient terrain texturing. I've never seen such smooth transitions of texture in a Tres terrain. The devs never knew.
In ways the level does feel a bit empty, but I approached it from the perspective of an environmental example, having some gameplay to boot. In this way I feel it was a great first mod. Looking forward to your next work.