New level im working on. Limahuli

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

New level im working on. Limahuli

Post by Teromen »

Anyone know the best way to fix this? Where the shadows are on top of the gate? Does the pivot need to be underground or something? I can cut off the geometry at the edge of the mesh where it meets the terrain but that wont completely fix it. This must be a common bug.

Also for those interested, this is a map im working on. It'll be my first real release. As far as a full fledged map goes. The name is Limahuli. Named after one of the islands. I kept the terrain fairly small so i'll be able to finish it without getting too frustrated lol. I can walk across the entire level in a matter of minutes.
Last edited by Teromen on Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: shadows on top of object in terrain

Post by TheIdiot »

As far as I know, the best way to fix funky shadows is to delete any parts of the mesh which are underground - i.e. fit it to the terrain. That should mostly get rid of the problem. :) Trespasser's shadows are somewhat odd since they lack actual terrain occlusion.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Either that, or try the following parameter:

Code: Select all

bool Planted = true
That's meant to stretch or compress tree trunks so that they end right on the ground, I'm not sure what effect it may have on objects with a different shape...

The other option is to have the object project no shadows at all with:

bool Shadow = false
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Either that, or try the following parameter:

bool Planted = true
That's meant to stretch or compress tree trunks so that they end right on the ground, I'm not sure what effect it may have on objects with a different shape...
Just a heads up: I've had crashes before using Planted for my own tree models (which tend to have stray/dirty vertices, mind you)...I haven't really tested it all that much, but in theory it should work.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
machf wrote:Either that, or try the following parameter:

bool Planted = true
Just a heads up: I've had crashes before using Planted for my own tree models (which tend to have stray/dirty vertices, mind you)...I haven't really tested it all that much, but in theory it should work.
I can confirm this. It appears to crash if used on some meshes and some not, I believe it sometimes has to do with the mesh itself.
Unsure it works on objects though.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I cut the wall off at the edge and that fixed it pretty well. Its still a bit off looking though. But I'm happy with it.

As far as the resolution of the hills as I'm sure some of you have noticed, I'm debating lowering them a lot. I'll wait till I add vegetation and then terrain layers and see how it plays. If it starts crashing ill have to optimize that lol. My next map I'll make the height-map hills less detailed to begin with. This is a good learning experience.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

I like the look of this mod. I also like how you added more detail to the gate by giving it an archway. Maybe you could raise the terrain on the left side of the wall so that it lines up more with the valley? Or you could even put a rock there to hide the gap.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I've tried adding boulders but they have their own shadow problems heh. I believe if I get the terrain too close to the wall it will have the shadow problem. I'm not sure how to get around this.

I appreciate your input. It helps give me ideas.

Here's a bunker I made. I'm gonna try and not post any more spoilers so the map has some surprises.

I'm trying to come up with ideas to add shadows to the cliffs. I just figure the cliffs are gonna look bland without shadows. i.d.k. yet. Maybe with simple sprite decorations assuming masked vegetation will cast shadows. Small trees and shrubs and stuff. I don't know if this will make it into the map though. Might save it for the next one. Its my first real map so I gotta limit myself. I released a tiny test years ago and the recent skatepark map but this will be the first fully playable one.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I don't think you should worry about the shadows. Most people will not reflect over them while playing but I do understand trying to make it work as a modder. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I am liking the concreteness, heh. Keep it up! Draco wonders to himself if the terrain is covered by one of the MegaJungle textures he didn't use, or one from Lone Hunter which he still mostly recalls was made by enigma.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

The texture is from Texturelib. I have an account.

I modified the edges by the wall. I also optimized the cliffs a lot with the quad tool. Worked out pretty well. I like the blockier/lower res look more.

Is that what ya meant TrespasserGuy?

I'm not going to do the texture layers till later. Gotta add all the buildings first. Then gonna add some more tree variety, lots of vegetation then do the cliffs and ground texture layering. Im still learning the order to do things in properly. I don't know how to change the overlaye order of the terrain texture layers so im just gonna do them in order. Ground dirt and detail, then cliffs, then edge/blend of grass into cliffs. Then roads and trails.

What ya guys/gals think so far?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks pretty cool so far. The gateway feels very "Trespasser-ish".
Im still learning the order to do things in properly. I don't know how to change the overlaye order of the terrain texture layers so im just gonna do them in order. Ground dirt and detail, then cliffs, then edge/blend of grass into cliffs. Then roads and trails.
You have to change the

int Height = 
value in a TrnObj's T-script in order to alter which ones layer over top of others - larger Height value objects will cover up lower ones. In order to makes things easier to look at and understand when editing the TrnObj's, I also like to modify the TrnObj's Z-axis altitude in the Instance Properties to match the T-script's Height value. :)
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Thank you.

Edit: It worked.

Edit: Man... I'm almost done adding all the cliff textures :) What a p.i.t.a.

For the dirt I'm just using some random templates so that's so much faster.
tatu

Post by tatu »

This looks really amazing imo. :)

Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

Wow that's some nice progress!