Has anyone tried to make a clay model of a terrain

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Has anyone tried to make a clay model of a terrain

Post by Teromen »

And then photoscan it in as a 3d model? With a program such as 1-2-3d.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodesk_123D
The 123D suite consists of the programs:

Catch: Creates 3D models from series of photographs taken at various angles using photogrammetry
From what I understand this is how they did the island for the game. I've always wanted to try it but never gotten around to it. It would be a fun process though. I'm just unsure that it would work on a landscape because of the shape.

Someday I'll get some clay and make a tiny landscape lol. See what happens.

If anyone has more information on the process used for Trespasser i'd love to hear it!

Edit: Found this. 1:11 in the video he imports a dirty ground model. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aU2s85 ... e=emb_logo
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Has anyone tried to make a clay model of a terrain

Post by tatu »

I am pretty sure no-one has tried it in the community, at least not in public. It is crazy this stuff. I do wish we had an actually image of the model they used. Overall, the lack of images during production is sad (not counting actually asset we got). :(
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Correction: I don't know how they scanned the island in. I'm guessing infrared lasers.
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

Teromen wrote:Correction: I don't know how they scanned the island in. I'm guessing infrared lasers.
do you remember Walking with Dinosaurs? because you just reminded me how they made dinosaurs on that show

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Pretty neat. I kind of see how it works.

Edit: I can get 5lb of air dry clay for $10 from Walmart. I don't know if my cheap phone camera will work good but I might give this a try. I've been wanting to try for years.

This is an interesting article. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/ ... hp?print=1
When we created our terrain geometry, we were deliberately trying to avoid the "marbles in rubber" look of a lot of bad fractally-generated outdoors terrain. To this end, we decided that we needed to base our island on real-world terrain rather than build it from scratch. Luckily, we had a real-world model to go from: Costa Rica’s Isla Sorna, the same island Crichton used as his inspiration for Site B. Unfortunately, no relief maps of sufficient detail existed for Isla Sorna, so we ended up having our lead artist sculpt a large model of the island, had it laser scanned, and did all our work on it in 3D Studio Max.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

This is quite neat. I am planning to enter clay modeling at some point down the road. Putting it into 3D, I'm not sure, maybe. I quite like the idea. These days I am putting more of my time into practical arts.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I like how they painted the textures on canvas. Results in a very organic look. Very pleasing. I wish more games were like this.

But I'm guessing... in the future you will see some of this in games. I'm not sure how well it will be received. But people will get tired of the metallic/fake look of textures in games. They will obviously have to be touched up in an image editor to add "grain" or detail. Sometimes I wish I had a Wacom tablet and was good at drawing :(

I have a 8 inch android but I don't wanna bother learning to draw on that lol.