Tresspasser town level in BeamNG

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

craycrone
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Tresspasser town level in BeamNG

Post by craycrone »

Hi, got this video recently in my subscription list and thought I would share it here.

Have fun.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Tresspasser town level in BeamNG

Post by tatu »

Yeah it is pretty cool. The creator has shared the stuff on the Discord, and just released LAB :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I had already watched the Town one the other day, now there's Lab too? Damn...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
craycrone
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by craycrone »

tatu wrote:Yeah it is pretty cool. The creator has shared the stuff on the Discord, and just released LAB :D

Is there a trescom discord?
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

Looks like he's trying to make all the level playable. There's Beach, Jungle Road, Industrial Jungle, Pine Valley. Now there's also Lab and Ingen Town. Interesting take on Trespasser
tatu

Post by tatu »

craycrone wrote:
tatu wrote:Yeah it is pretty cool. The creator has shared the stuff on the Discord, and just released LAB :D
Is there a trescom discord?
Yeah, check the main site for link on the right, below the forum link. :)
Looks like he's trying to make all the level playable. There's Beach, Jungle Road, Industrial Jungle, Pine Valley. Now there's also Lab and Ingen Town. Interesting take on Trespasser
I think it is the first ever really proper 1:1 port of Trespasser levels into another engine. :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

...and he just released Ascent a while ago today.

Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Ascent Part 2 now:

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And now, The SUmmit:

Wondering if he's any intention to do other levels...
tatu

Post by tatu »

He has already done all levels except PH that we have. And is working on doing the whole island if possible. Otherwise you can already find all the levels he's released in our download section:
https://www.trescom.org/download-catego ... ellaneous/

tatu

Post by tatu »

Oh and by the way, I only just found out that he who made this is james_uk who made the VR protoype a few years ago: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11084

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yes, I thought you had already realized it...
JohnDecodes
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by JohnDecodes »

This is really impressive, I know James has mentioned he has a method of exporting textured 3DS terrains, and syncing the original object co-ordinates into Unity, but I’d really love to know how he does it exactly, and if it’s possible with other engines.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

My favorite video is still the one of him flying around the whole island in a plane. That was beautiful.
james_uk
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by james_uk »

JohnDecodes wrote:This is really impressive, I know James has mentioned he has a method of exporting textured 3DS terrains, and syncing the original object co-ordinates into Unity, but I’d really love to know how he does it exactly, and if it’s possible with other engines.
The technique behind doing this is really quite simple. Get yourself a copy of TresED and do the following:

The Terrain
1) Export the terrain to TPM. Don't export it to 3DS Max otherwise it'll be riddled with holes.
2) Look at the terrain in TresED and find the dominant terrain texture. You can then export the dominant terrain texture by flattening the decals layer and exporting the tile that contains said texture in TPM or 3DS format.
3) Once the terrain has been imported into 3DS Max via the TPM Importer, apply a "UVW Map" modifier and then apply the texture. You'll need need to lower the width and height values in order to adjust the tiling of the terrain texture.
4) Right click object and convert to editable mesh. Terrain is now ready to be exported to any game engine of your choice.

Objects/Trees/Foliage
When exporting Objects/Trees and Foliage, I'd strongly recommend it's done in stages as it makes it far easier to manage the assets. One thing to bare in mind is you may wish to export to 3DS Max for these. Reason being is I observed that exporting instanced objects to TPM format has a tendency to screw up the co-ordinates.

Starting with trees:
1) Goto any tree in TresED, click it and then click select Sub Objects. This'll take you to the void where object instances are stored.
2) Now delete everything that isn't a tree that's in the instance void. Bare in mind that if you go back to the level terrain after you've done this, TresED will likely crash so I strongly recommend saving the level at this point (don't forget to make a backup. I think TresED does this automatically and saves original with an .orig file extension.
3) Click visibility then select all. This will now select all the trees in the level.
4) Click file, export selection to 3DS.
5) Make sure that "center objects around 0,0,0" is unchecked. It'll preserve the co-ordinates of all the objects. Also make sure "use grey instead of original transparency color" is checked
6) Go back into 3DS Max and import your tree 3DS file you just saved. As long as you don't adjust the scale/location of anything, everything should literally be in its original position verbatim.
7) In terms of transparency of the leaves, you can either do a batch job on it via GIMP to apply the transparency or you can apply the original transparency textures files manually (takes longer but is most accurate)

Foliage is basically exactly the same process.

The core objects (Buildings, barriers ect), I select each of these manually then export selection to either 3DS Max or TPM as before (Core objects like building don't tend to be instanced)

As before, as long as you don't manually adjust positioning/scale, everything should automatically go into the correct position.

Once I have each of these elements in 3DS Max, I export them to OBJ and then carry on my work in Blender by re-importing then into Blender. I have an old version of 3DS Max (2008) which is horribly inefficient.

The Decal process however is more tricky.
1) In TresED, use the terrain flatten button then press visibility, select all. All decals should be selected.
2) Export selection to 3DS Max.
3) Use same settings as the previously explained trees.
4) Import decals into 3DS Max
5) At this point, I'd strongly recommend you use a function called "collapse" in 3DS Max to join the same decals together. It's found in the utilities area with a button that has a picture of a hammer on it.
6) You now need to join up the decals together in groups. I'd recommend doing this in one of two ways. You can either use the find function and then type in something like "*road" and it'll select everything with the word road in it. If you do this with terrain decals it can sometimes mess with the texture assignments. To avoid this, click a decal then click edit, select similar. That should then select all the decals that share the same material. Once all decals are selected, you then click the collapse selected button. If you have 1000's of decals, bare in mind that there's a chance that 3DS Max can crash. If this is the case, do it in stages.
7) Once you have your decals grouped, export to obj then import into Blender.
8 ) Once imported into Blender, you now need to use a shrinkwrap modifier to make it so the decals "hug" the terrain like in the original game. Only drawback with this technique is you have to sub-divide the decals which massively increases the polycount. (not good for an older engine like BeamNG. More modern engines may be able to cope better.)
9) Like the trees, many decals will need transparency effects applied to them.

Hopefully, that's explained the underlying fundamentals of how my process pipeline has worked. :) By doing this, it is possible to fully migrate the levels across in a 1:1 sense into other engines.