Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: New level im working on. Limahuli

Post by tatu »

I'm working on the map but I gotta figure out how to add key cards and unlock movers. I've been getting a brain fart on this issue.
The most simple example to give you on keycards are to look at "Trig_REDKeyDoorOpen1-00" in the Town level. It is the one to open Hammond's gate. See comments here:
Note: "group Action03" has been added from "Trig_GRNKeyDoorOpen2-00" in LAB to add the keycard reader bar to flash.
string Class = "CCollisionTrigger"
string Element1 = "PCardSctyRED00-01" //This is the keycard
string Element2 = "PCrdRderRED00-01" //This is the object the keycard need to collide with (hit). In this case the keycard reader.
int AlphaChannel = 1
int BoundVol = 1 //Tells the game the trigger shape is square. Don't edit this in TresEd, it will crash the level during in-game loading.
float RepeatPeriod = 1.500000 //How often it can be repeated.
group Action00 = {
int ActionType = 10 //ActionType required to modify the "Target".
string Target = "P1HHmaindoorDOOR01-00" //Object to modify the script for.
bool Frozen = false //Unfreezes the door
}
group Action01 = {
int ActionType = 23 //ActionType to play SFX.
string Sample = "Spec-Keypad Confirmation02"//SFX to play
}
group Action02 = {
int ActionType = 23 //ActionType to play SFX.
string Sample = "Spec-Door Handle Open01" //SFX to play
}
group Action03 = {
int ActionType = 21 //ActionType to change texture.
string Target = "PCrdRder_Light0-01" //Object to change texture.
int Frame = 1 //Changes texture frame
float Interval = 0.500000 //"Delay in seconds between changing animated texture" (Tscript reference).
}
}
Note: Make sure to import "PScrtyCrdRdrLGHT00t2.bmp-00" to your level (IT) in order for the change texture work. GeomAdd will still report missing texture on animated objects, but you can "fix" that by modifying the TPM and add them as materials to the specific object.

Hopefully this helped in some way. :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Having fun.

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It appears so...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I'm slightly confused. You are trying to create a shadow? You had one until you set Shadow to false?
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I'm trying to create a shadow from an invisible mesh, apparently won't work.

Edit: I have a mesh in the level that casts the shadow really bad. So i'm trying to use another mesh to create the shadow exactly how I want it to look. But I don't think it is going to work though. I will try one more time with a completely new mesh with a clean script and see what happens.

It's upsetting because I made a custom mesh for the shadow and it looked near perfect. But as soon as I set the mesh to invisible the shadow disappears :( Oh well, was worth a try. I'm prolly just not gonna have shadows on a few decorations. Maybe in my future maps I will figure it out. The only thing I can think of is a custom deco layer than is a darkened ground texture. But that wouldn't match perfectly. I'm gonna try that anyway though.

Edit: Ok I figured out how to fake shadows. Pretty simple really. Just make a 1 sided mesh in the shape of the decoration and place it high above the map. I'm guessing not too high or it wont render at a distance, but anyway so far it works great. I need to do more play testing to make sure.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

This is how I did the shadows and how it worked out.

Editor
Spoiler: show
Game
It took a while to get it aligned right and I wish the shadows would display in TresEd (so I don't have to load the game constantly to check) but I'm unsure how to get that working. I tried enabling the in the editor but no go. I'm happy with it. I'm gonna try to limit how many I use though cause its a big pain to get configured properly. It's mainly important on the dead branches. Buildings and trees and plants and stuff work fine with default shadows. I guess cause they completely touch the ground.
Last edited by Teromen on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Hm, I am unsure why the object itself won't cause a proper shadow. You might wanna look into a "CLightDirectional" that could control the light for you, to set in which direction the light comes from: https://www.trescom.org/files/docs/tscr ... irectional
It took a while to get it aligned right and I wish the shadows would display in TresEd
TresEd does allow shadows to be cast, the issue is that modern graphic cards make that function to not work. I am unsure there is any fix for it.

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

The default shadow doesn't cast properly. Its way offset.

I have my light in the directional that I'm prolly gonna keep it but some items just don't line up right. So I used the hack.

I disabled my RTX video card in device manager and used the built in Intel card and the shadows in TresEd work, but im getting 1 fps lol. Maybe I gotta reboot or close some programs to up the frame-rate. The Intel isn't actually that slow so something is up. But thanks for the tip. I'll try to use this for aligning my shadows in the future.

I'll take a screenshot of the map without the custom shadows so you can see what I mean.

Edit: The glitchy shadow
tatu

Post by tatu »

Teromen wrote:Edit: The glitchy shadow
Oh I see. That is not really glitchy, it is just how the game can't tell if an object is below the terrain or not, making shadows like that.
It is the reason for the "bool Planted" script for trees. :)

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

OK, I finally got up the nerve to figure out how to do the key card hehe. Works fine. Thank you tatu. I need to do a write up and demo level for this.

The level shouldn't take long to finish now.

One thing I wish I could do is make a mover that slides forward, like a sliding bridge. But I doubt I'll figure that out on my first map.

I'm mainly finishing up adding decorations and working on gameplay and getting the A.I. to work good with my terrain. The raptors hate my steep hills. I had to use a wake of 250 and a sleep of 500. Still isn't perfect though.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Glad you got it to work!

I don't really do this practice, but a lot of people make a test level to try the stuff out (to not risk ruining the level). That might be something you wanna do. That way you could also get help with figuring stuff out without spoiling the actual level. :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That's some admirable work to make corrected shadows for Tres. I appreciate attention to environmental aspects. I am sure there are examples in other levels where a mesh is both invisible and casts shadows. I quite believe I recall having to manually fix some which cast shadows that weren't supposed to, like Raptor teleport-destinations or some such.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I'm guessing its a matter of knowing what script variables to use.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I just wanted to do an update. I've been having problem with my mouse for the last week so that caused my mapping to slow way down. I got it fixed today though. From what I can tell the newest windows update broke my pc and then I had switched from a wired to a wireless mouse to see if that would work and got windows reinstalled and then found out a wireless mouse and a metal computer table don't mix lol. Go figure eh? So I'm back to working on it now. Man its nice to have a good mouse again. It was driving me crazy. I just grabbed one of those classic Logitech ones.

So if anyone else has been having problems since about a week ago it might be windows update. Sometimes you can roll it back. My mouse and audio was lagging. Computer was stuttering. I have 4 hdd's so don't worry about data loss hehe. I'd post a screen but at this point it just feels like a total spoiler. I don't wanna spoil anymore of it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Teromen wrote:I just wanted to do an update. I've been having problem with my mouse for the last week so that caused my mapping to slow way down. I got it fixed today though. From what I can tell the newest windows update broke my pc and then I had switched from a wired to a wireless mouse to see if that would work and got windows reinstalled and then found out a wireless mouse and a metal computer table don't mix lol. Go figure eh? So I'm back to working on it now. Man its nice to have a good mouse again. It was driving me crazy. I just grabbed one of those classic Logitech ones.

So if anyone else has been having problems since about a week ago it might be windows update. Sometimes you can roll it back. My mouse and audio was lagging. Computer was stuttering. I have 4 hdd's so don't worry about data loss hehe. I'd post a screen but at this point it just feels like a total spoiler. I don't wanna spoil anymore of it.
That actually happened to me in the past as well, years ago. Stupid update that I'd been holding off on for months decided to install overnight and ended up screwing up all of my drivers, and I had to rollback. That's probably the best option until either Microsoft fixes it or someone comes up with a proper workaround.