Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: A terrain test

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmm oh Tatu thanks. One detail I can relate is that, even TresEd finds Mt Watson too high. TrnObjs don't like to render up at the top inside TresEd, due to how high the mountain is. I forget the details but they don't show up on the terrain while you're looking at it. They work fine ingame.
You just need to move the TrnObj higher up in position and they will render find in TresEd. For the Island mod I've moved TrnObj high above the ground in order to not see them in TresEd. :P
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Teroman, Tres CE settings seem to improve terrain rendering a ton all on their own. Oddly enough, the pre-release builds of Trespasser also had better terrain detail. The engine seems to have been capable of more but toned down in order for the game to be stable on people's PCs by the time of release, but now terrain detail is more readily at hand. Just look ingame at TheIdiot's terrain in his final release of RTJP, from across the empty areas into the park.
tatu wrote:You just need to move the TrnObj higher up in position and they will render find in TresEd. For the Island mod I've moved TrnObj high above the ground in order to not see them in TresEd. :P
Heh!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

One thing to note about CE is that I'm not sure whether it overrides Culling Distances set in the actual level files with its own, or if it only overrides the default. I always like to set the rendering options in my own levels and generally suggest the CE settings be avoided, unless playing the original game. Terrain settings are more hit-and-miss, though like Draco said there are settings aside from distance-detail stuff that can make it look much better than retail.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

That is very interesting. I'm gonna look into that with the search feature.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:One thing to note about CE is that I'm not sure whether it overrides Culling Distances set in the actual level files with its own, or if it only overrides the default.
The default, I guess. It would make no sense to eliminate the rest.
I always like to set the rendering options in my own levels and generally suggest the CE settings be avoided,
BAD idea IMO. I refuse to be forced to play something at somebody else's choice of settings.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
I always like to set the rendering options in my own levels and generally suggest the CE settings be avoided,
BAD idea IMO. I refuse to be forced to play something at somebody else's choice of settings.
Fair point. I will say that the reason for it is optimization - I usually try and get the best possible graphical result without straining the game too much. Those super-detailed levels like MegaJungle might cause crashing if played with too high of CE settings, and there are likely plenty of players who wouldn't connect their CE settings to that crashing.