Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

My latest level.

Post by morningstarring »

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3sjytjo7h ... 8.zip/file

my latest level. almost lost it after messing something up importing a dino model but managed to fix it. hope you guys like it.
Attachments
Newlv8.jpg
Newlv8.jpg (356.44 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: My latest level.

Post by tatu »

Looks interesting. Maybe during the holidays I will take some time playing through your levels.

Maybe I suggest that you start naming your levels? It would help when adding them to TresCom ;)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I'll download it now and take a good look after lunch...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Draco goes to install the mod files

Ah MSR, I wish to say, we can help teach you how to create custom audio files for new mods. I am unclear what your current process is, do you import new sounds into blank TPA files or into the retail ones?

---

Just spent some time in this level! I am done for now and came as far as ...
Spoiler: show
the generator puzzle. Aqua puzzles! Puzzles needing water physics!! I've never seen this done before. Mind is still recovering from pieces blown about the room.
Whew! Okay, I'm better now. I haven't been able to figure where to go after that. As always it is great to see retail assets being put to so much new use. Great planning of dinos and defence as well. I was also quite pleased to see the use of a certain swampy model. Didn't notice many floating objects, or any?; the sunken ones are fine.
Tatu wrote:Maybe I suggest that you start naming your levels? It would help when adding them to TresCom ;)
It's fun to imagine what these ones are about by playing them. And the audio files have been a bit odd in the process; might I suggest a CE mod folder which combines all of them? Then that can have a name..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This one seems quite impressive, going to give it a shot later tonight! :)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Just finished it. Liked it. I was killed once, close to the end, because I failed to realize
there wasn't just one but TWO T-Rexes outside that warehouse

Are you sure you haven't been reading my mind or my notes regarding my (yet unreleased) level...? I'm definitleyly going to recruit you to finish it...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

tatu wrote:Looks interesting. Maybe during the holidays I will take some time playing through your levels.

Maybe I suggest that you start naming your levels? It would help when adding them to TresCom ;)
I can never think of names for levels. lately i've just been building levels around the new triggers i've learned so there's no real theme going on.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote:Draco goes to install the mod files

Ah MSR, I wish to say, we can help teach you how to create custom audio files for new mods. I am unclear what your current process is, do you import new sounds into blank TPA files or into the retail ones?
I put new WMA files in the retail audio files. I didn't realize the stream.tpa was so huge. I dunno how to make a tpa from scratch without missing other sounds. the stream.tpa seems the largest and possibly easier to customize/make smaller. i'll work on it i guess
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just finished this! Overall I quite enjoyed the level; it felt just long enough without going overboard, despite the simple concept. The inclusion of keycard puzzles invited re-exploration, and I thought the overall layout was nice. You also struck the right balance of dinosaurs vs guns so that I found myself down the the last bullet quite often. I particularily liked the puzzle inside the tunnel (the one with the water tank), even though it didn't quite go the way it seemed to be intended - the water physics caused the crates to bounce constantly, which made it impossible to actually create a bridge with the planks. Your creative use of objects to design various places and buildings continues to be fantastic. Those warehouses in particular are very well-done, though they seem to be missing physics for the big support beams.
The only thing I would suggest is to perhaps condense the large, open areas where you're sort of just walking along without much to see and do a little bit, or add some more interesting locations along the way. I found myself feeling a little bit bored during the two treks through the larger, open valleys once all of the Raptors there were dead.
Also, the first T. Rex seems to have been a bit buggy in my playthrough...it just stood there and looked around without actually moving. This might be due to me having the additional disabled behaviours enabled, but I have yet to see that happen elsewhere. The pair of Rexes later on were okay.
morningstarring wrote: I put new WMA files in the retail audio files. I didn't realize the stream.tpa was so huge. I dunno how to make a tpa from scratch without missing other sounds. the stream.tpa seems the largest and possibly easier to customize/make smaller. i'll work on it i guess
There are a few ways to create new audio files - which program are you using to import them?
Once you've figured out how to make new, blank TPA files and get sounds imported to them, you can add them to the game by either using ATX or CE's fm.ini file to designate them as additive TPAs (this would allow you to use the original TPAs, as well as sounds from your new TPAs at the same time without having to actually include the original files). The CE method also allows you to create your own mod folder which would help keep your levels and TPAs in a single place without having to include a bunch of extra stuff. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright, still have not finished this level. But!, I managed to get further.
A certain keycard was seemingly missing from its supposed location. Turns out it had run away to hide inside the machine from previous physics doings... I had a lot of fun going in to get it. This little water area is one of the best modded creations this year in my current opinion.
Passed through to the next area... I had the oddest sense of being in a primeval version of Industrial Jungle. Heard raptors but didn't see them. Then I came to a not-PV bridge area, huuuhhh... Did actually have a close call with a dino while making the trip. More new-ness scenario. I was pleasantly surprised to see a new piece-constructed building that didn't use the look-alike in LAB, and after making it to the next one, decided my adventure had to wait again for next time. Haven't seen that OG dino used in a while.
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

TheIdiot wrote:Just finished this! Overall I quite enjoyed the level; it felt just long enough without going overboard, despite the simple concept. The inclusion of keycard puzzles invited re-exploration, and I thought the overall layout was nice. You also struck the right balance of dinosaurs vs guns so that I found myself down the the last bullet quite often. I particularily liked the puzzle inside the tunnel (the one with the water tank), even though it didn't quite go the way it seemed to be intended - the water physics caused the crates to bounce constantly, which made it impossible to actually create a bridge with the planks. Your creative use of objects to design various places and buildings continues to be fantastic. Those warehouses in particular are very well-done, though they seem to be missing physics for the big support beams.
The only thing I would suggest is to perhaps condense the large, open areas where you're sort of just walking along without much to see and do a little bit, or add some more interesting locations along the way. I found myself feeling a little bit bored during the two treks through the larger, open valleys once all of the Raptors there were dead.
Also, the first T. Rex seems to have been a bit buggy in my playthrough...it just stood there and looked around without actually moving. This might be due to me having the additional disabled behaviours enabled, but I have yet to see that happen elsewhere. The pair of Rexes later on were okay.
the first rex is how I nearly corrupted the level and I hadn't made a backup for a while. I noticed Its behavior was a little off and i can't pin down an exact reason why. something went wrong when i tried to import a new rex in the level and it kept crashing during loading. I deleted every instance I could find but the first rex still acted weird sometimes.

Lesson learned. make backups more often.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I looked at the broken Rex in TresEd and didn't notice anything abnormal about its T-Script. Very strange. The only thing I can think of that might be messing with its AI is that its Hunger is 0.25, but the Anger is already 1.0 and that's usually enough to get it to attack.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Oh, I forgot to mention a bug: some vehicles are lacking physics objects...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright MSR, I have finished your level! I found out that the end was quite close. Reminds me to TC_Rescue.
Overall I felt the level was very balanced. A variety of areas, and enough open space that it didn't seem like a straight path herding the player. I was able to use the water physics, I give that part my highest score. The missing physics are understandable, can't have everything right the first time. Great job with using old assets in new ways.

With the new audio files: I can't describe it all at once but one simple way to start is finding the download for ATX. It has a folder called "\MAPS\LVL\ExampleTPAs" which has a blank version of each of the 3 main TPA files. The next part is importing any new sounds into these, rather than the retail TPAs.
So, in Tres CE, each "mods" subfolder is given a file called "fm.ini". This is what my main "FanMods" one happens to look like at this time:

Code: Select all

;--------
[General]
;--------

;StartLevel=___
;NewGameMovie=0
;WinMovie=0
;EndGameDDF=
;EffectsTPA=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA=Ambient.tpa
;MenuTPA=Menu.tpa
;EffectsTPA+=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA+=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA+=Ambient.tpa

;-------
[be.scn]
;-------

;LoadingImage=menu/li_be_0.tga

;EffectsTPA=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA=Ambient.tpa
;MenuTPA=Menu.tpa
;EffectsTPA+=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA+=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA+=Ambient.tpa

;-------
[sg_prvw.scn]
;-------

EffectsTPA+=SGEffects.tpa
StreamTPA+=SGStream.tpa
AmbientTPA+=SGambient.tpa

;-------
[MV.scn]
;-------

StreamTPA+=MVStream.tpa

;-------
[newlev4.scn]
;-------

StreamTPA+=StreamNL4.tpa

;-------
[newlev6.scn]
;-------

EffectsTPA+=EffectsNL6.tpa
StreamTPA+=StreamNL6.tpa

;-------
[newlev8.scn]
;-------

EffectsTPA+=Effects.NL8.tpa
StreamTPA+=StreamNL8.tpa
AmbientTPA+=ambientNL8.tpa
The parts with ";" in front are not used. But anyway, the original version of this file is given in Tres CE's "\doc" folder. But to say it briefly, you can see how I made custom entries for your levels. I took your released TPAs without modifying them, and renamed them, and put them in the same folder as "fm.ini". This way, the game looks for them to play sounds for that specific level.
If you wanted, you might make a new "\mods" subfolder for all your mods, and put a single set of the 3 TPA files for all of them. But there are various ways.

Hope that helps!
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Draconisaurus wrote:Alright MSR, I have finished your level! I found out that the end was quite close. Reminds me to TC_Rescue.
Overall I felt the level was very balanced. A variety of areas, and enough open space that it didn't seem like a straight path herding the player. I was able to use the water physics, I give that part my highest score. The missing physics are understandable, can't have everything right the first time. Great job with using old assets in new ways.

With the new audio files: I can't describe it all at once but one simple way to start is finding the download for ATX. It has a folder called "\MAPS\LVL\ExampleTPAs" which has a blank version of each of the 3 main TPA files. The next part is importing any new sounds into these, rather than the retail TPAs.
So, in Tres CE, each "mods" subfolder is given a file called "fm.ini". This is what my main "FanMods" one happens to look like at this time:

Code: Select all

;--------
[General]
;--------

;StartLevel=___
;NewGameMovie=0
;WinMovie=0
;EndGameDDF=
;EffectsTPA=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA=Ambient.tpa
;MenuTPA=Menu.tpa
;EffectsTPA+=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA+=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA+=Ambient.tpa

;-------
[be.scn]
;-------

;LoadingImage=menu/li_be_0.tga

;EffectsTPA=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA=Ambient.tpa
;MenuTPA=Menu.tpa
;EffectsTPA+=Effects.tpa
;StreamTPA+=Stream.tpa
;AmbientTPA+=Ambient.tpa

;-------
[sg_prvw.scn]
;-------

EffectsTPA+=SGEffects.tpa
StreamTPA+=SGStream.tpa
AmbientTPA+=SGambient.tpa

;-------
[MV.scn]
;-------

StreamTPA+=MVStream.tpa

;-------
[newlev4.scn]
;-------

StreamTPA+=StreamNL4.tpa

;-------
[newlev6.scn]
;-------

EffectsTPA+=EffectsNL6.tpa
StreamTPA+=StreamNL6.tpa

;-------
[newlev8.scn]
;-------

EffectsTPA+=Effects.NL8.tpa
StreamTPA+=StreamNL8.tpa
AmbientTPA+=ambientNL8.tpa
The parts with ";" in front are not used. But anyway, the original version of this file is given in Tres CE's "\doc" folder. But to say it briefly, you can see how I made custom entries for your levels. I took your released TPAs without modifying them, and renamed them, and put them in the same folder as "fm.ini". This way, the game looks for them to play sounds for that specific level.
If you wanted, you might make a new "\mods" subfolder for all your mods, and put a single set of the 3 TPA files for all of them. But there are various ways.

Hope that helps!
I'll take some time before releasing a new level to integrate this into the level files so the file size isn't so huge.