GUIapp importing terrain from max

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: GUIapp importing terrain from max

Post by Teromen »

If you use tessellation make sure to use faces(triangle), edge and 0 tension.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

OK, thanks. I used your method and... it works for 1024*1024 subdivisions, but with 2048*2048, it won't. Possibly because the terrain still has way too much detail... it's not quite like yours, which has blank space all around.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I have been messing with it a bit and find that I have to import and export the terrain several times to get it optimized properly. You know, re-tessellate it and optimize it over and over. It's either that or spend forever on a higher res terrain optimizing the quads. Or only select certain quads in 3dsmax and tessellate them. I figure once I get it optimized decently It'll work great. Takes some elbow grease though. I'll keep working at this to see what I get. The whole idea was to speed up the mapping process and allow outside terrains.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I've found some articles and videos describing how tessellation maps are used, but they mostly refer to the Unreal engine and other software... I haven't found any yet that describes how it's done in 3DS MAX. I guess I'll have to look at that MAXscript more in-depth to find out what it does with the material which has that ttessellation map assigned...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files