programs that draw models onto terrain, placing trees/grass

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: programs that draw models onto terrain, placing trees/gr

Post by machf »

Teromen wrote:So I guess this is only good for objects outside the player area. And small grass I guess.
I don't think you understood. You make your base object, place it somewhere with its physics subobjects where you can easily find it, then make clones/instances of the object (no need for the subobjects) throughout the level where you want them.
Do you know if using copied instances helps performance over say using many individual unique physics boxes? I know it doesn't render them like static mesh's but it may only keep one copy of the physics volume in memory.
That's the idea, I guess. The only objects for which you should use unique physics boxes instead of physics subobjects are ones that are unique themselves, static, and/or need more than the maximum limit for subobjects.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: programs that draw models onto terrain, placing trees/gr

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote: Do you know if using copied instances helps performance over say using many individual unique physics boxes? I know it doesn't render them like static mesh's but it may only keep one copy of the physics volume in memory.
That's the idea, I guess. The only objects for which you should use unique physics boxes instead of physics subobjects are ones that are unique themselves, static, and/or need more than the maximum limit for subobjects.[/quote]
Yeah, I believe machf is right on that. The more different base instances you have in the level, the longer your load times and the higher the memory usage. Remember that without memory tweaks, Tres will eventually crash when a certain amount of object memory is overloaded. Normally this isn't a problem unless you use too many high-poly objects, though.