Anyone have ideas for custom levels?

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Anyone have ideas for custom levels?

Post by Teromen »

Yea, I wonder if Anne is a biker. You know how they got along back in the day...

I tried adding a key card and gate but it buggered up the map loading. So I had to figure that out :(

Now made a backup just in case. I'll look into key cards some more.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Im not sure if there are enough ramps yet. Need to add collision.
How about a concrete bowl? That should take up a fair bit of space. Could add some skater graffiti to it as well. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

As a mainstay, new modders ought to make a backup (like a .zip, or .rar, or .7z) of their level whenever importing a new model, and other times as well (such as complex scripted event making). Tres likes to crash; it's Summer Home's name is "Crashtopia". And, keycards can be difficult for newbies. Ask MorningStarRing perhaps; he is quite new and managed to figure it out.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Backups are always necessary when importing a new model. Take my Lost Jungle Remastered level for example. I made ~30 backups before I eventually released the level :lol

Also, using the verify level feature in GeomAdd is a good way of assessing anything internally wrong with your level, as it could show you have a missing instance in a trigger’s script, which would result in the level never loading or flat out crashing the game.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Luckily I have all the assets in case anything ever happens. I really should upload a copy in case my pc crashes.

I have multiple hard drives and haven't had a crash in over a decade, back when hardware wasn't as durable. But never say never.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I'm having trouble with collision. I guess the boxes have to be fairly simple. Most of mine are rectangles with small sides. Maybe I need to apply a texture to them. Maybe physics have to be imported 1 at a time? I'm using invisible instances. They have to be centered along the grid? Anyone got some tips?

If anyone wants to take a look, this is the current build.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fwevhx5w ... 2.zip/file

edit: I'm guesting the ramps have to use object physics? Instead of invisible instances.

Edit: I had to do reset the pivot and center all the boxes to the grid. I also had the names wrong it seems. I'm not sure which fixed it, but prolly the mesh names. Now it works great. Now to create enough boxes for the other ramps.

Note: I'm using copies as much a possible.

I'm gonna try and make a concrete bowl and see how it works. I'll have to render part of the terrain as an object I'm guessing. It would be cool to include.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Edit: I had to do reset the pivot and center all the boxes to the grid. I also had the names wrong it seems. I'm not sure which fixed it, but prolly the mesh names. Now it works great. Now to create enough boxes for the other ramps.
Possibly the pivot. The name doesn't matter as it goes by the script. Textures are also not needed (look at invisible physics in a retail level). Make sure you have the tscript set before importing, as some of the normal script used will crash the level if changed in TresEd!
Note: I'm using copies as much a possible.
Copies works fine for non-moveable physics!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sometimes I miss-match the names between new models and their names in new value tables, if that's what you mean.
I forget, which program are you using? In Max, the Center Pivot option doesn't work for Tres models. If you can click "reset pivot" and it goes back to how it was before that, it fails to be centered in Tres. Tatu, where are the dev max scripts? There is a maxscript called "Mesh Tools" which has a button called "Hard Reset". It may be used to force a pivot to the center of a selected object. Also, inside Trespasser, you can turn on the BONES cheat to see the actual shape of your physics.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Tatu, where are the dev max scripts?
In the source. Which we don't share public. Not sure if the max scripts is actually protected though.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

If your pivot isn't centered but at the base, Trespasser will generate a bounding box whose center is at the pivot's location... in other words, you'll end up with a bounding box twice as tall. That's a problem I had to fix on TC Isle, with those tanks at the very end.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

machf wrote:If your pivot isn't centered but at the base, Trespasser will generate a bounding box whose center is at the pivot's location... in other words, you'll end up with a bounding box twice as tall. That's a problem I had to fix on TC Isle, with those tanks at the very end.
Yep, I learned this the hard way when importing an object into one of my levels. I didn't know how to fix it in max so to fix it in TresEd I just assigned the object a $physics box that would act as its bounding box
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That's EXACTLY what I did with those two tanks, too!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

Did you try Reset Xform?
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... 9-htm.html
Use the Reset XForm (Transform) utility to push object rotation and scaling values onto the modifier stack and align object pivot points and bounding boxes with the World coordinate system. Reset XForm removes all Rotation and Scale values from selected objects and places those transforms in an XForm modifier.
Im not sure entirely what that means but it works lol. Resets all modifications to a "original" state. Or something like that. A default state. I'm not sure how to put it in words. But it resets the model. Kind of like Transform-permanently in unreal-ed.

I have to do this and then apply a edit mesh modifier before exporting as an tpm. Make sure you apply edit mesh afterwards obviously. The exporter requires that. I'm sure most of you know that though. I'm still learning this engine. I want to make a neat level when Ive gotten further along. I tried this 3 years ago but I'm always going without a computer the last few years.

I got the collision near perfect on the half pipe and pushed a barrel down it. I still gotta do the other ramps and make the concrete bowl. That one will be fun with collision :(
You can climb up the half pipe onto the deck. Which is pretty neat.

My dream for about 15 years has been to make a entire level pack for the game. Don't know if that'll ever happen. I just don't have any creative ideas for a campaign.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Rex River Rapids has an example of a raft attached to the player. A skateboard might be able to do the same. I wonder if machf ever found one.
Teromen
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Teromen »

I'm having fun getting it to add a working gun to the level. Keeps picking it up sideways or not at all. I'll get it working, then later it'll stop working.

It it normal to get post trespasser stress disorder? I think I've had it for 22 years now.

It all started out on a p100 and a voodoo banshee at 15fps. Before that I think it was 2fps. Does 2fps count? Imagine being one of the lucky ones with a pentium 200mmx and a voodoo 3 hehe. Dad let me buy Trespasser but not Beavis and Butthead, imagine the brain damage i would have gotten :P