Dark Jungle: A new Trespasser mod (Alpha Release pg 3)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Dark Jungle: A new Trespasser mod

Post by machf »

Nicely done...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I really like it. Overall Trespasser has very few night mods. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Cool helicopter flyby. I like it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I am myself wondering the hidden size of this mod. Still nice to see a new mod using the old blue fog from EastDock.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

TheIdiot wrote:The story aspect of this level is looking to be something which Draco and I both dreamed of, in a smaller (and much more reasonable) scale. I like it!
I'm glad I could continue your guy's legacies in some form or another :batman:
machf wrote:Nicely done...
Rebel wrote:Cool helicopter flyby. I like it.
Thanks guys :D
tatu wrote:I really like it. Overall Trespasser has very few night mods. :)
Thanks. You're right, the only ones off the top of my head are East Dock and Cursed Arena.
Draconisaurus wrote:I am myself wondering the hidden size of this mod. Still nice to see a new mod using the old blue fog from EastDock.
Well, the overall level size is relatively small, being larger than BE but smaller than JR, for comparison. However the actual gameplay, with the amount of puzzles and scripted events, it would probably take an hour and a half to complete in one sitting on your first try.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
here's another nondescript screenshot btw
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm... Draco fails to locate the Turok: Evolution health cylinders needed to survive the area.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmmm... Draco fails to locate the Turok: Evolution health cylinders needed to survive the area.
Coincidentally, TrespasserGuy is using the WTD file for my old "ShadowedLands" level as a base for this level, which is named after a level from Turok: Evolution.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

:statue: ! Well that's nice.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Welp, I just wanted everyone to know that I'm still developing this mod. However, I've been in a slump creatively and wanted to work on other side projects. I also wanted to see if I could gain inspiration from any of you by having you play through what I have of the level so far. So, I'm releasing an extremely early "alpha" version of this level. This is so you guys can get a feel of the mod and what it's all about. The level is designed to end at a certain point, however if you do wish to know what lies beyond, you can always use the fly cheat to get to the unfinished parts :pirate:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kdcx1n7s ... a.rar/file
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Dark Jungle: A new Trespasser mod (Early Alpha Release p

Post by machf »

Well, it's not April 1st yet unless you lived to the East of the Greenwich Meridian, so I guess this isn't an April Fools' joke as the "early alpha" version of the Pens was... (or was it Pine Valley...? It was a long time ago...)

EDIT: well, I downloaded it, tried to play it, and it would crash in certain places. I could avoid crashing by looking in another direction. After trying a few things, I deleted the grass and it works fine now.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Wow, okay, so...this is pretty damn cool. Even for a pre-alpha, I already really like the direction you're taking. Each area has something interesting to see, there's a bit of exploration here and there, and the overall level design just looks really great! And I like what you've done with the unfinished level areas from my original unfinished level you based this on, it was a nice surprise to see you left in the few little areas I made originally in ShadowedLands. :D I get a really great vibe from what I've seen so far, not to mention the remaining areas I checked out in TresEd (which are just...really, really incredible for a lot of reasons that I won't spoil). The whole level gives me serious RTJP vibes, it really reminds me of what I'd envisioned for some of the later levels, like RTJP~Camp. I'm glad to hear that you seem to have used at least some parts of the RTJP TPA files as well, plus a number of its models...I'd hoped those would be of use to someone one day.
And I think once Draco comes back around, he'll definitely like to see the later part of this level...

My only suggestion so far is to add maybe a couple more encounters, voice overs, or musical cues around the level for a release version. I did feel that in a couple of the "walking" parts, it could have benefitted from something to listen to, or perhaps an enemy to deal with...that narrow cliff road would be an interesting place for an triggered attack from both the front and behind.

I'll also note that, since this uses the ShadowedLands layout, the canyon you go down at the start of the level was meant to be a cave with ancient paintings of humans fighting dinosaurs on the walls. The big canyon you put the lake in that is overlooked by the Safari Lodge buildings was meant to be filled with some kind of aquatic enemy, and you'd have had to jump between rocks in the pond and solve a puzzle to escape. And finally, the place beyond the end level trigger was going to be a massive Mayan maze, filled with traps and enemies, where you'd have to find 3 keys to open the door to the exit. I figured I'd mention this since it might inspire you in some way, since you say you're a bit strapped for creativity at the moment. :)

I do hope to see this finished in the future as I think it could be your best level yet!
EDIT: well, I downloaded it, tried to play it, and it would crash in certain places. I could avoid crashing by looking in another direction. After trying a few things, I deleted the grass and it works fine now.
Hmm, surprisingly this time I didn't get any crashes whatsoever, or any instability. Don't know if it's the .ini settings at it again or what, since I did notice that TresGuy seemed to avoid having a lot of clipping grass objects which usually tends to be the case...perhaps it would be worth releasing a "low-detail" version of levels that use 3D grass without those meshes since they seem to be troublesome?
tatu

Post by tatu »

Ohhh, I love the settings in the image!
TheIdiot wrote:
Hmm, surprisingly this time I didn't get any crashes whatsoever, or any instability. Don't know if it's the .ini settings at it again or what, since I did notice that TresGuy seemed to avoid having a lot of clipping grass objects which usually tends to be the case...perhaps it would be worth releasing a "low-detail" version of levels that use 3D grass without those meshes since they seem to be troublesome?
Another way could be to share our INI files if we experience crashes and not and try to find what setting actually causes it, if it is the INI settings :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Downloaded. I love screenie, looks quite cool. Will check it out over the weekend.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I had to use the TELE cheat to reach the end at one point since I guess the level isn't complete and you were eventually meant to climb something which hasn't any physics objects yet (or maybe an .ASA animation would be triggered when reaching that point?). I mean, I don't think there is any other way to reach that point, or is it?

Also, the level as it currently is is TOO dark (yes, I know it's called "Dark Jungle", but anyway), too stressful on the eyes... I had to change the settings a bit. Besides, a night under a full moon is brighter than that...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:I had to use the TELE cheat to reach the end at one point since I guess the level isn't complete and you were eventually meant to climb something which hasn't any physics objects yet (or maybe an .ASA animation would be triggered when reaching that point?). I mean, I don't think there is any other way to reach that point, or is it?
Are you talking about
Spoiler: show
the vine hanging down from the tree?
In that case, you can climb it, but it's a bit finnicky.
Also, the level as it currently is is TOO dark (yes, I know it's called "Dark Jungle", but anyway), too stressful on the eyes... I had to change the settings a bit. Besides, a night under a full moon is brighter than that...
Hmm, I didn't find it all that dark, especially compared to some other levels (Cursed Arena comes to mind). Not too sure if TresGuy used the same lighting as I had originally used for that skybox, but if so it's would be a copy of East Dock's lighting. Of course, different monitors have different brightness, so that's potentially a factor...I know mine is quite bright by default.