New level almost finished

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Re: New level almost finished

Post by Hilwo »

Draconisaurus wrote:For the smuggling operation level, I give my best wishes - also I point that "PDrugBundles-00" is an object made for Trespasser by the devs, found in one of the alpha builds and in the Mystery Models.[/attachment]
I think the full plane with crate and drug bundle was also in the build 96 beta, somewhere off the path in one of the Ascent levels.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm that may be more likely what I was remembering.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Hilwo wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:For the smuggling operation level, I give my best wishes - also I point that "PDrugBundles-00" is an object made for Trespasser by the devs, found in one of the alpha builds and in the Mystery Models.[/attachment]
I think the full plane with crate and drug bundle was also in the build 96 beta, somewhere off the path in one of the Ascent levels.
Hmmm that may be more likely what I was remembering.
Yes. End of AS1 in build 96, inside AS2 territory, in a small mountain/ridge that is outside the playable area in both levels.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Alright! I have this morning finally had time, as may be given to the ah-hem interesting music-mod. Once again, the velociraptors present were see-through, while playing in the software renderer mode (instead of DX9). It may be seen that they are still transparent, but to a much less obvious degree, in DX9 as well, and that their textures are 4 (or 8?) pixels offset from the process of being imported. This issue is well-understood by now and can be readily fixed. As to the contents of the level, it's a nice work... I never did get around to my own music-based-levels in the JPDS days. What Theropod was that which I faced in the clearing, might I ask? It looked somewhat Suchian.

As for transparent textures. SecondIlliteration's "Barrel Full O' Raptors" contains the textures for many new Raptor skins, but many of these image files are not ready for import into levels as they come in the download. These ones are in 24-bit format, which is generally only used in Trespasser for transparent surfaces such as gun muzzle flashes, windows, waterfalls, etc. For Dinosaur skins, textures are in the usual 8-bit format, instead, which uses a custom "palette" of 256 colors. There is more than one way to go about this.

Using Microsoft Paint:
1) Open the BMP file of the texture you want to change from 24-bit to 8-bit.
2) Select All and copy the image.
3) Open a BMP file from an exported Trespasser model (retail or fan-made), which has colors similar to the new texture you want.
4) Paste the previous image into the one from Trespasser.
5) Resize the image as needed to fit; remember that BMP images for Trespasser must have outer dimensions which are powers of two: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, or 256.
6) Save your image. The option for '256 Color Bitmap' may already be selected. Perhaps keep the original 24-bit version backed up.
7) Import your model into Trespasser, overwriting original textures if the same texture name was used by a previously-imported 24-bit version. It ought to work ingame, now.

As a note, it appears that this method creates a new 8-bit palette for each BMP at the time of Saving. This may be nice in the way that it gives less restrictions to color for each image, but Trespasser only allows about 128 different palettes in a given level, and many modders run into this wall when not palette-managing. This is usually only with larger projects.
Inside the "Tres Millennium" package is a utility called "Wally (Palette Editor)" - you can use this to open an 8-bit BMP image and save a ".pal" file which has the 256-color palette stored in it. You can then open other BMPs, and load this or any PAL file to replace whatever palette it already had. (Carefully, if you are trying to create a single palette which has the colors you need for a set of BMP images, you can open a colorful 24-bit BMP in Wally which has all the color range you need, then save a 256-color PAL file from it. After closing it, open any 8-bit BMPs you want, and the new PAL file can be loaded into them.)

Hm, does anyone remember where else Wally may be found for download?

If you have any questions about this, I am pleased to assist. You have a great eye for area designs, keep it up!
spinaxoraptor
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by spinaxoraptor »

Looks beutiful keep up the good work dude