Using triggers which aren't cubes?

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Using triggers which aren't cubes?

Post by TheIdiot »

I'm curious, does anyone know for a fact whether there's any difference between using boxes, or any other more spherical shape for triggers? From what I understand, LocationTriggers are always activated when an object enters their bounding volume, which is invariably cube-shaped. If that's true, it makes using any other shape for a LocationTrigger excessively tedious if you want a precise point at which the trigger is activated since you need to view the bounding volume in order to determine where the exactly the trigger will fire.
If so, why do we continue to use spheres for things like Ambient Sound? Surely cubes would make more sense? I guess it's just habit by this point.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Using triggers which aren't cubes?

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:I'm curious, does anyone know for a fact whether there's any difference between using boxes, or any other more spherical shape for triggers? From what I understand, LocationTriggers are always activated when an object enters their bounding volume, which is invariably cube-shaped.
Nope. That's where you're wrong. Both Location triggers and Collision triggers can use the int BoundVol parameter to specify either a sphere or a cube.
TheIdiot wrote: If that's true, it makes using any other shape for a LocationTrigger excessively tedious if you want a precise point at which the trigger is activated since you need to view the bounding volume in order to determine where the exactly the trigger will fire.
If so, why do we continue to use spheres for things like Ambient Sound? Surely cubes would make more sense? I guess it's just habit by this point.
Uh, because a sphere better determines the propagation of a sound from its point of origin? Alsooo, keep in mind that the default value is BoundVol isn't specified is 0, which corresponds to the sphere - for a cube, you MUST specify a value of 1.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Using triggers which aren't cubes?

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf is correct. Bounding Volume is sort of a tricky specification in Tres but, also quite straight-forward. All vertebrate embryos are inherently female, any--- I mean... All triggers are inherently spheres, anyway. You must both apply a BoundVol of 1 and a geometry type of 2, before the object in question is imported. Only then is a trigger a box-shape.

Don't sweat it - I've had a few of these details mixed in mind over the years. I used to think that Action## could only go up to 09, instead of 15, and this is reflected in trigger multiplicity in JPDS.