screenshot of a level im working on

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: screenshot of a level im working on

Post by machf »

Oooh, just what I needed to have some fun later tonight...
:wink:

Downloading now.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

So... I must say I really liked it. Particularly the terrain and the clever re-use of the original assets. Not an easy level to finish but not impossible, either - an experienced level may be able to finish it without getting killed at all. It has some minor issues that need to be fixed (like floating vegetation, some missing vocal cubes, and not much else), but overall, you've done a great job. Congratulations for your first level!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
morningstarring
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by morningstarring »

machf wrote:So... I must say I really liked it. Particularly the terrain and the clever re-use of the original assets. Not an easy level to finish but not impossible, either - an experienced level may be able to finish it without getting killed at all. It has some minor issues that need to be fixed (like floating vegetation, some missing vocal cubes, and not much else), but overall, you've done a great job. Congratulations for your first level!
Yea. the floating vegetation got a little out of control so I'll work on fixing that in the future. I wanted to use the toxic tranquilizer gun to help with dispatching the rexes but for some reason the weapon wouldn't function during my tests. so I just increased the damage inflicted by the hunting rifle and used the voice overs to hint that it was more powerful than its original version. I like the model for the rexes i used but their behaviour is a little different than the original ones I was going to use. the original ones were more aggressive and seemed to be able to navigate better. so I may change that. I want to make some of the keycards a little harder to find or get to. And I want expand the level adding two more areas with some puzzle elements before the end. but like i said I need to learn more before i can do that so I wanted to release something instead of just sitting on it. I've enjoyed playing the user made levels so I thought it would be nice to have another one for people to try out. even if it is a somewhat rudimentary and rough around the edges. Dunno if you guys want to but it up for download on levels page. I figured a simple level is better than no level at all.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

MSR, this level was great! I had a lot of fun seeing the TPTDac style re-purposing of LAB assets throughout a newly devised pine setting. Great retro-TresCom vibes. Each location inspired a degree of intrigue and it was nice that some ended up as serving no practical purpose, such that each new location was unknown as to its importance and thus needed scoping out. I quite enjoyed the variety of dinosaurs throughout the areas... And, I must congratulate you on such a large, not-empty-feeling space as your first mod. 8 )

With the high-poly Trex model, it has been seen that AI quality decreases with various things that tax the engine, including as you've found the poly-level of the model. It's a bit unfortunate, and reinforces the value of the older, lower-poly CAnimals.
For the keycards, let us know when you wish help on fixing them, and other issues. I noticed after the second gate, some incorrect-palette terrain textures to the left. The solution to this is relatively simple and demonstrated in my video tutorial - https://youtu.be/wBHGqz1eZ8o?t=1389 , whenever you wish to learn how that works.

Many thanks for your contribution! You are now assuredly part of the TresCom modding community.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just wanted to drop in and say that the latest version of the level is an excellent improvement. My opinion echoes Draco's exactly.

The only issue I found was that the red metal fences are placed slightly too far apart, which results in the player being able to "shimmy-jump" their way up between them in order to climb over.
With the high-poly Trex model, it has been seen that AI quality decreases with various things that tax the engine, including as you've found the poly-level of the model. It's a bit unfortunate, and reinforces the value of the older, lower-poly CAnimals.
I still have yet to find evidence of this happening in any level, including this one. The only thing I've seen which truly causes anything of that sort is having more than 7 AI active at once, which is only possible using .ini edits.