My newest project: Lost Jungle ~ Remastered (RELEASED pg. 4)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: My newest project: Lost Jungle ~ Remastered

Post by machf »

Now I'm trying to remember if I used it in the Pens or not...

EDIT: checking with TresEd, I can see that, indeed, I did so...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

@TheIdiot
Hmmm. Yeah, the Visitors Lodge area of terrain was the part of JPDS1, which was being developed at the time that terrain over-detail began crashing the level. It was going to be crafted with a physical terrain base but had to be manually constructed instead. This had an interesting effect on the collapsible building puzzle, of which the VL is one of only two instances in Trespasser modding.

@machf
I see. What area of the level, and to what end?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote: @machf
I see. What area of the level, and to what end?
Won't tell that in public... ;)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Hey everyone! Nice to see that this topic is being used for Tres script testing :lol: It's been a bit since I've posted but that was mainly due to me being on vacation and away from this site, plus with TresCom being down, I wasn't able to post an update. As for the plains grass, I plan on keeping it in the level, mainly because of nostalgic purposes, and because it gets the job done without being too taxing on the game engine.

Also here's a new screenshot!
Spoiler: show
I took the liberty of editing the original level's terrain so that a monorail track can now come around from a nearby tunnel where it meets up with the station so that it acts as a terminus. I did this so we can justify having that monorail station being in that corner of the level from the original Lost Jungle. I also wanted to add that this level is nearing completion. The puzzle that allows you to complete the level is done, and the ending itself has been scripted. Now all I'm really doing is height-fixing, TPA editing, and adding some easter eggs.

There is one thing I want to learn that's needed for a little easter egg that I'm planning on implementing. It has to do with those .bmp animations that allow things like waterfalls and butterflies to exist in the game. Could any of you tell me how this works?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The monorail looks good! Is that the original model with the textures I made for HD?
There is one thing I want to learn that's needed for a little easter egg that I'm planning on implementing. It has to do with those .bmp animations that allow things like waterfalls and butterflies to exist in the game. Could any of you tell me how this works?
It's worth noting that there are two types of animated texture: the type which simply scrolls along (like the ocean in most levels, or waterfalls in some others), and the type which uses a series of .bmp frames to show an animation (like the animated titles in RTJP~Prologue and the waterfalls in TC~Isle).
The scrolling one is quite simple: you create your object normally and assign it to be a CInstance. You then assign it the "string Anim00 = "__"" value with the name of the texture you want to animate, and then set the "float DeltaX" and/or "float DeltaY" values appropriately in order to make it scroll along the appropriate axis. This might require a bit of fiddling and tweaking in-game, but it's otherwise very simple.
The frame animation one is a bit more complex...first off, you need an object which has all of the textures you plan on using as the animation frames - typically this is simply a flat plane with a series of square polygons, each of which have one of the textures applied to them. After that, you need to import the plane object to the level as well as the object you want to put the animated texture on. Then if you simply want the texture animation to loop infinitely, you have to make sure your animated object is a CInstance and then add each .bmp texture file you added to your flat plane object into its T-script with the "string Anim00 = "__", string Anim01 = "__"" values, and so on. There are a few more values you can utilize which you can find in the T-Script reference for the CInstance class.
There are some good examples of this working in TC~Isle and RTJP, as well as the aforementioned butterfly, which you can use as an example.

Hopefully that helps! As always the Script Reference is the place to go if you need any further details. If I'm not mistaken, the ATX and CE Actiontypes also allow for some additional configuration of animated textures, which usually you only need for some of the most complicated sequences.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I would like to add another thing to what TheIdiot wrote.
For waterfalls, just check how the waterfall in IJ works and are scripted. The animated textures themselves are stored in another object named something with ".bmp" (search for it, it is below the waterfall). I am unsure how RTJP handle this, and if that ".bmp" thing is even needed or if you can just add the textures to the mesh itself (as a material).
TC~Isle has bees as well for an example on how flat animation works, and it got birds and that flying dinosaurs but those uses 3D-meshes IIRC and is a bit more advanced.
Then RTJP have other amazing things so I suggest looking for examples in that anyway. 8)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That Terminus looks great, TrespasserGuy! I wonder where its tunnel leads. I am quite looking forward to the new Nature elements you are introducing. TI seems to have covered animated-texture details. Let us know if you wish to try the advanced 3D version; put simply, a series of models is placed at one spot, each given a visible and invisible texture, and these are turned on and off in sequence to create the effect of a moving mesh. ..Oh, one thing TI didn't mention, it is possible to have two "tracks" of animation. For example, the butterfly Mickey placed in LostJungle starts out only flapping its wings, then if the Player approaches her, TrackTwo is activated and a sequence of frames showing the butterfly fly-off is played.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm getting the hang of it. I see it now as a kind of stop-motion animation. I won't spoil too much but the easter egg I'm trying to make shows up on Wu's TV screen as a short little "video".

@TI Yes, that is the original Tres station using your HD textures :yum:

@Drac I'm saying it right now so you won't get disappointed later, the tunnel that the track goes to ends abruptly in a cave-in, kind of like from my other level
Spoiler: show
Here's another image, with a subtle JP1 reference, if you get it :wink:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:For example, the butterfly Mickey placed in LostJungle starts out only flapping its wings, then if the Player approaches her, TrackTwo is activated and a sequence of frames showing the butterfly fly-off is played.
Can't say I've ever used the TrackTwo feature; I find it more concise script-wise to use triggers to set the animations. But both ways definitely work.
Here's another image, with a subtle JP1 reference, if you get it :wink:
Oh yeah, the black and white picture of the guy smoking the pipe from Nedry's desk? Does anyone know who that guy actually is (I ask, as I say to myself "He's probably someone popularly known").

Hey TresGuy, I'm not sure if you've answered this before, but is this version of LJ going to actually have an end-trigger? I can't recall there being one in the original level...from what I remember, you get to that lake with the falling bus and hit a dead-end.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

TheIdiot wrote: Does anyone know who that guy actually is (I ask, as I say to myself "He's probably someone popularly known").
It's J Robert Oppenheimer! :nerd: Credited as the father of the atomic bomb. I always theorized that the filmmaker's put him there to symbolize InGen's groundbreaking discoveries as synonymous with the technological advancement and devastation that the atomic bomb had on the world, and Hammond's quote in Trespasser about the atomic bomb only further helps to prove this.
TheIdiot wrote:Hey TresGuy, I'm not sure if you've answered this before, but is this version of LJ going to actually have an end-trigger? I can't recall there being one in the original level...from what I remember, you get to that lake with the falling bus and hit a dead-end.
Yes, my version of Lost Jungle will have an ActionType 31 in it lol. The ending to this level will be the likes of which no Trespasser modder has ever done, as far as I'm aware of.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TrespasserGuy wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:Hey TresGuy, I'm not sure if you've answered this before, but is this version of LJ going to actually have an end-trigger? I can't recall there being one in the original level...from what I remember, you get to that lake with the falling bus and hit a dead-end.
Yes, my version of Lost Jungle will have an ActionType 31 in it lol. The ending to this level will be the likes of which no Trespasser modder has ever done, as far as I'm aware of.
Sounds exciting. I'm eager to see what you do with the scripting - I've been impressed by your script work in the past.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I wonder why genetic power is likened so frequently to atomic power. Both have great impactful potential on the world, yes, but they are in such different spheres... I just don't see the connection. Likewise I frequently see the potential of dinosaurs to overrun Earth as taken further than is realistic.

A Nedry trailer in LostJungle... This, is pretty interesting.. Uh hmm. I do wonder now, where you got the metal manager desk drawer from...? I am currently not aware of us having this model.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:A Nedry trailer in LostJungle... This, is pretty interesting.. Uh hmm. I do wonder now, where you got the metal manager desk drawer from...? I am currently not aware of us having this model.
It is present (without textures) in the IT 3ds Max versions.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Tatu! I asked you about this desk months ago and you said we didn't have the model. ...I possibly forgot a mention of untextured IT versions, but to me at this time that is still a critical mistaken concept I have had.

TrespasserGuy, did these desk drawers come from that IT version, and if so, what means was used to texture them?
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

To the best of my knowledge, the desk drawers originally came in a version of IT that was supposed to be released with Tres: Reloaded. But, uh Drac, I got the drawers from your Site C level, which in it you used them extensively in that BioSyn building :|