Antispam: No

Re: Cloning Facility

Post by tatu »

I like what I see, I love the colours!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh that sounds quite nice. AI sparceness may help them in engine limits too. Don't tell us too much tho! :sick:
Shadefyre
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Shadefyre »

TheIdiot wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote: AI scripting attention is something I have found TresCom mods need badly, as well as more sticks for melee. I hadn't thought of the ambush potential, which sounds like both AI and outside triggers. I managed three or more really cool AI scenes in JPDS~streams but I don't think I ever really got back to it after. Good luck!
Yeah, I have looked at your scenes in JPDS, in particular the Raptor mating duel, as inspiration here. I want to go with a bit more of a "less is more" approach, where there aren't too many dinosaur encounters, but the ones that you do run into will be relatively harrowing. Once you reach the facility, I plan on getting a little bit more of a horror-esque atmosphere going, maybe have some dinosaurs burst out of doors as you pass them or drop down from the celing to scare the player. You'll have only precious seconds to escape before the dinosaurs come after you, and I'm thinking of trying to come up with a way to get the dinosaurs to pathfind properly inside of buildings...I have ideas but they might be overcomplicated.
One thing I've always wanted to recreate is that scene on the Jurassic Park Ride in Hollywood where the velociraptor chewing on electrical wirse drops down from above. I'll have to build some of these idea into my building models as I work on them now that I have a better idea of what I want the actual so-called "Cloning Facility" (which is no longer the official name of the actual facility within the level) to look like now...I'm thinking roughly something between the classic Jurassic Park-esque interiors filled with pipes and metal walkways and the more lab-oriented Embryonics Administration compound. And expect total darkness inside as well, until maybe you get the emergency lighting turned on, or maybe even a revisit of the old RTJP flashlight/nightvision idea.
Would a flare/torch be possible in Tres? I feel like if so, that could work to keep it eerily dark in the abandoned facility without being too revealing like an electronic light source. Maybe a torch that only ignites when in hand, to avoid having it provide light from your back (or just not be stowable)? This is just an idea that your statement kind of evoked visually, free from the bindings of knowledge of engine capabilities.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Yes and no, Ruins has a torch, but it doesn't emit light. I'm pretty sure the only possible light source in Trespasser is the sky; sun, moon, and/or stars.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Level is looking really sharp there, T.I. I haven't been around much as of late (just too worn out from work these days), but good to see
that you and others have been busy. :rambo:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shadefyre wrote: Would a flare/torch be possible in Tres? I feel like if so, that could work to keep it eerily dark in the abandoned facility without being too revealing like an electronic light source. Maybe a torch that only ignites when in hand, to avoid having it provide light from your back (or just not be stowable)? This is just an idea that your statement kind of evoked visually, free from the bindings of knowledge of engine capabilities.
I have ideas from the RTJP days on how to get a "light source" to look decent, so yes, I believe an illuminated flare is possible with some clever scripting. I got flare working in RTJP~testing but it didn't emit light. That'd be easier than a flashlight as well so perhaps that's a better idea. Don't want to spoil my idea for it too much.
Nick3069 wrote:Yes and no, Ruins has a torch, but it doesn't emit light. I'm pretty sure the only possible light source in Trespasser is the sky; sun, moon, and/or stars.
Correct, you can't have extra light sources (although it seems to have been a potential engine feature during development that was never implemented) other than the level's "sun" object, though, so a dynamic light source wouldn't work as traditionally implemented in games. I do have a sort of workaround idea as to how to make a working light source that only works when it's active in your hand, however, and Draco and I had darkened indoor areas in the Site C mod.
Rebel wrote:Level is looking really sharp there, T.I. I haven't been around much as of late (just too worn out from work these days), but good to see
that you and others have been busy. :rambo:
Thanks as always, Rebel! You deserve quite the break after all the work that went into TC~Prequel anyway. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm TI, I forget what the plan in those Site C hallways was. Maybe we want to save it for a different mod though?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmmmm TI, I forget what the plan in those Site C hallways was. Maybe we want to save it for a different mod though?
I believe I just scripted the fog and lighting to get denser and darker when you entered a building. The only buildings I really worked on were the big one with the preserved Omega Rex and the small admin one with the animated ghost encounter.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Right, but I mean, I forget how the lights were to work inside. Were they just going to be those AlphaChannel beams with no changes?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Right, but I mean, I forget how the lights were to work inside. Were they just going to be those AlphaChannel beams with no changes?
I don't think we got that far on the concept. :P The best option that I've seen for lights thusfar seems to be using an alpha texture to create a sort of fading effect on the beam, kind of like a lens flare, so that at least it blends in with the scene rather than having that hard AlphaChannel look to it. Not sure what I'll be doing in this level yet.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

After a hiatus, I was in the Trespasser mood and got a bit more work done, including a small amount of new vegetation that I won't showcase yet. So here's a shot of a gorge somewhere on the island...
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
This area is partly inspired by the original game's gorge, as well as elements of the "blighted forest" area from IJ's walkthrough. I haven't made dead plant models yet but intend on creating them for a different area of the island. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hey man looks cool. Digging those normalmapped boulders. The Blighted Forest must live on!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Yeah, Drac, that Blighted Forest area is one I've always wanted to see recreated in IJ. Tatu and I want to bring back all of the missing walkthrough stuff eventually with the Isla Sorna Project, so I hope one day we might see it in that level. For now, a small patch of dead coastline will have to suffice in this level. :wink:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Man, this grass takes FOREVER to place, but the hard work is starting to pay off...
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Woah, looking good! What's the performance like so far?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."