Re: Meeeerrry Tresmas! 2019 <:)

Post by Isolt »

That's a cosy fire. Pity it's so hot here in summer :P
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

You know, sometimes (but not often) those Trespasser Raptors can be pretty damn clever:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
That sort of thing is why we need more levels where dinosaurs can go into buildings!
Anyway, played through the level, ended up dying in the bathroom there as that Raptor went straight for me. It's short and simple, which was the exact sort of thing I was looking for. I liked the bust playing Jingle Bells at the start, that was a nice touch! And the little village was really nice as well...I actually failed to find a gun until near the end of my playthrough, which in keeping with my policy of no bunny-hopping made the level quite interesting...by the time I reached the village I had a pair of Raptors following me, one of which is the one that trapped me in the bathroom.
I should mention that I also had no footstep sounds for several objects in the level - the bus and the terrain most notably - though I was running this from the same modfolder as your other winter level. I also had a fair bit of lag as well as a couple of crashes which I am 100% certain came from overlapping transparent objects (I noticed a lot of flickering bushes that were merged with trees, and whenever those were on-screen, the framerate dropped from 45-60 down to the 20s-30s, and looking around too rapidly caused the crash as the framerate plummeted.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:I also had a fair bit of lag as well as a couple of crashes which I am 100% certain came from overlapping transparent objects (I noticed a lot of flickering bushes that were merged with trees, and whenever those were on-screen, the framerate dropped from 45-60 down to the 20s-30s, and looking around too rapidly caused the crash as the framerate plummeted.
Interesting. I didn't have any lag issues from what I remember, or any crashes. I wonder if this could be settings related or just different depending on hardware?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

CE has proven to be more sensitive to transparencies than I would have expected. A little sad; I have a feeling I never have this issue in CE because my laptop is pretty low-spec, so it doesn't try as hard. Huh.
Without checking myself, I'm guessing the terrain had no sound from some sort of large, soundless terrain object that I didn't realize was causing anything. Then again, silence in a snow setting is its own thing..
Tatu, no idea why you had a physics issue with those buildings. If you check in TresEd you'll see they have physics, and I specifically checked to see if you could get in those buildings.
As a note, there is a door away from the town..
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Tatu, no idea why you had a physics issue with those buildings. If you check in TresEd you'll see they have physics, and I specifically checked to see if you could get in those buildings.
As a note, there is a door away from the town..
I just took a look in TresEd
Spoiler: show
And just noticed the whole area behind the start gate, I guess there is where the key also goes?
and the TC Sheds do not have any physics, not the 3 ones in the town,
Spoiler: show
only the one after the gate

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I wonder if CE's transparency crashes are at all related to the ATOC settings you can enable in the .ini, or if it really just comes down to different hardware. In any case I feel that I'd still be experiencing the same crashes in ATX (and potentially many more)...my newest PC happens to be the worst I've had at playing Trespasser.
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

TheIdiot wrote:I wonder if CE's transparency crashes are at all related to the ATOC settings you can enable in the .ini, or if it really just comes down to different hardware. In any case I feel that I'd still be experiencing the same crashes in ATX (and potentially many more)...my newest PC happens to be the worst I've had at playing Trespasser.
It's worth noting, that the code is at least 22 years old, and conflicts with newer hardware are expected.

There is a project going on, which aims to clean up the code (fix bugs and make the code compatible with modern tools) and possible even improve it.

One of the particiants recently managed to track a crash issue which the retail game has. The one which makes the the game crash when reloading the level after dying.
tatu

Post by tatu »

killer89 wrote:One of the particiants recently managed to track a crash issue which the retail game has. The one which makes the the game crash when reloading the level after dying.
AFAIK I haven't heard people experienced crashing when trying to reload a level. There is a bug where restarting will only resume the game.

killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

tatu wrote:
killer89 wrote:One of the particiants recently managed to track a crash issue which the retail game has. The one which makes the the game crash when reloading the level after dying.
AFAIK I haven't heard people experienced crashing when trying to reload a level. There is a bug where restarting will only resume the game.
I stand corrected. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sooo, Tatu, that whole new area you found is from the 2017 winter level. While building this one, I was offline and couldn't find a clean version of the template, so I modified the older level. The gate I was referring to is next to the town.

Oh and, the issue of the game continuing instead of reloading, after hitting reload, is purely an effect of TresEd-made SCN files being mostly empty. ATX had an option to "disable fast restart" but I think think CE has it..
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Sooo, Tatu, that whole new area you found is from the 2017 winter level. While building this one, I was offline and couldn't find a clean version of the template, so I modified the older level. The gate I was referring to is next to the town.
OH I see.