Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Hunter's camp & Lab complex in Source engine

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:While you're at it... Why not make the communication console that Nick uses screen-accurate? Aaaand... also, why not put 3 CRAYs in the comp building? Like Hammond says, and like in JP the Michael Crichton novel. :nerd:
There is already 3 Cray's in the room ;)
I thought there was only one Cray in that room? Unless I'm missing something, it looks like killer89 only has one in his map as well.

Only thing is, I'm not too sure where you'd fit the other two without clustering the room up too much.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote: I thought there was only one Cray in that room? Unless I'm missing something, it looks like killer89 only has one in his map as well.

Only thing is, I'm not too sure where you'd fit the other two without clustering the room up too much.
That image with the CRAY doesn't show the whole room. The room is much bigger than in Trespasser so he manage to fit 3 CRAYs :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm he posted the image with all 3 CRAYs in the Discord, it only looks slightly larger, if that. Looks great.
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Lab complex -wip-

The screens use the original frames extracted from Trespasser, and the animations change as the boot up sequence puzzle proceeds.

As a downside the engine has a bug, which requires the entity controlling the monitors to be in same PVS as the monitors, otherwise the monitors will not update their animations.
However this is not much of an issue in a small area, and if the entity is moved closer to the center of the room.

Unfortunately i couldn't record a video yet due to few more issues popping up, and the last two monitors not being implemented yet.

Interestingly all frames containing texts are on the same height except one, which jumps a little by 1 pixel when the animation plays. I have fixed this in my version of the complex.
(Misaligned frame is Pcraydisplay0000001.bmp)

You can clearly see the misaligned frame in the video below:

https://youtu.be/9ZMtJFfdWGo
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, I'm not certain how noticeable that jump down in the readout is unless you were really paying intense attention
to it. You've re-created the lab computer room nicely -
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Excellent work, and thanks for posting outside the TresCom Discord 8) Lab is a fairly complex Trespasser area, cool to see that sort of Tres element being recreated in another engine. It's refreshing from the usual BE recreations we get as people attempt to remake the entire game...
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

killer89 wrote:As promised:

https://youtu.be/KvBi8u5ZB7Y
Pretty cool! :) One of the earlier Tres builds (I think 55?) has the uncut cray boot-up voiceover, in case you're not aware.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

killer89, that is awesome, thanks for sharing and putting so much work into rebuilding Trespasser. Kudos on the steam effect.
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Lab Complex -wip-

I remembered de_train had something similar, so i went and decompiled Counter-Strike: Source's version. Turned out, that both the dust motes and
the light ray aren't used together. Some of the windows have dust motes, while the large open space on the roof has the rays. Went and combined the two.

There are two brush entities. Inner is func_dustmotes and outer is func_illusionary with the ray texture. The ray texture is pretty much invisible in-editor,
so i had to make a non-transparent version and use it for the ray adjusting, then replace the non-transparent version with the real one.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Looking good!

I should remember this and use it for my island mod when I get to buildings, or some other areas. Trespasser can have transparent objects and you can at least make it look like light ray's. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Great work. Reminds me of my work on the "Hillside Research Station" in Jurassic Park Dark Secrets. I refit the biochemical building in some particular ways. It is nice to see the developer-designed space getting a more realistic treatment.
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Industrial jungle -wip-

The level is so long, that i had to shorten the T-rex area to 1/3 of the original, otherwise i would have hit the grid border.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well hello Mattila22! Finally you have brought us an update on your mod's progress for the forums. We do appreciate such things, and it helps morale of whatever modders might be browsing the forums. Your progress looks nice. This version of IJ1 and IJ2 seems decidedly less-full than the retail version, so far. I'm unclear which areas you had in mind, yet, to add detail to; in general I feel your gameplay area looks and feels a bit too open, without the illusion of its existence within a thick, much larger jungle. Perhaps there are engine limitations at work, but perhaps some solutions haven't been thought of. I forget which engine this is being made in? And, can you direct us to screenshots of a comparable finished ingame setting(s) from that engine? I feel also that the terrain form is too simple and inorganic. Certainly some improvement may be made to bring it from the essential-path form into that of the natural landscape.
At any rate, it's clear a lot of work has been put into this, that's quite nice... If by chance this turns out to become a complete representation of Trespasser's levels, I'll be especially interested. Does this engine have support for multiplayer (within modded content)?
killer89
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by killer89 »

Draconisaurus wrote:This version of IJ1 and IJ2 seems decidedly less-full than the retail version, so far. I'm unclear which areas you had in mind, yet, to add detail to; in general I feel your gameplay area looks and feels a bit too open, without the illusion of its existence within a thick, much larger jungle. Perhaps there are engine limitations at work, but perhaps some solutions haven't been thought of.
Denser jungle is plausible, however i've been adding foliage sparingly for now, as i'm still working on the terrain. Aligning the foliage models after spotting an error in the terrain is not exactly enjoyable to fix, which to my understanding is something also Trespasser modders stumble on from time to time.

Draconisaurus wrote: I forget which engine this is being made in?
Orange box - branch of the Source-engine, also known as Source 2013.

Draconisaurus wrote: And, can you direct us to screenshots of a comparable finished ingame setting(s) from that engine?
?

Draconisaurus wrote:If by chance this turns out to become a complete representation of Trespasser's levels, I'll be especially interested. Does this engine have support for multiplayer (within modded content)?
Ideally yes, but unfortunately that is not a realistic goal. The levels are separate, lab complex being playable to the end (however the end for now is just the level shutting down), industrial jungle is being built with Jurassic Life in mind.
Draconisaurus wrote:Does this engine have support for multiplayer (within modded content)?
Source is rather modable and has support for multiplayer, however the mod needs to be made on multiplayer-branch..