TrespasserGuy's Unfinished, Unreleased Levels

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

TrespasserGuy's Unfinished, Unreleased Levels

Post by TrespasserGuy »

This was a project that I started in February of this year. I abandoned it halfway through May to focus on contributing to the 20th Anniversary Community Level. I got pretty far with it, and even commissioned TheIdiot to create some new models for me. Credit for the suspension bridge and all the railroad accessories goes to him. I'm releasing the level as is. You can travel around the greater part of the island, but I think it crashes in CE with the draw distance all the way up. Just make sure to keep it down. Also, you can only play this level in CE. Twilight cannot run this due to some objects going over the normal poly count that CE can surpass. Be sure to look through the level in TresEd. I tried to make a lot of movie locations from The Lost World, such as the pine forest that Dieter dies in , and the Long Grass the hunters died in. The plan was to have Anne eventually reach the Ops Center. Take a look at it! I've worked really hard on this for the short time I did, and I want you guys to see it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1hxd7x8j6 ... V.zip/file
Last edited by TrespasserGuy on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: TrespasserGuy's Abandoned 20th Anniversary Level

Post by Rebel »

The screenshots look pretty good, T.G. Downloaded, so I'll give it a look. Been playing the 20th anniversary
level off and on, somewhat gave me an incentive to put some more work into the ruins level I released some
time ago.

Don't feel bad about not finishing (or abandoning a project), we've all been there and for various reasons -
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Awe, so you're not going to finish it? :( Was looking forward to giving this one a go and seeing my models in action! Even if you can't get it finished for the 20th Anniversary anymore, would you consider finishing it off eventually?

The screenshots look really cool. In fact, they're...strangely familiar. Looks similar to my Beach HD and, judging by your description, that one small level I made of all Isla Sorna compiling all of Tres into a smaller level. Those foundations in particular are quite interesting - a bit more detail and cluttering and they'd be perfect for Beach HD Mk. II. Still, even if it is cancelled, I'm eager to explore and see what you've done.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TI, I think you'll be quite fond of the terrain, if you know what I mean ;) I quite like your decision there, TresGuy. Really nice level! Lots of fun locations. However.. Exploring in the foundation-dimension worked fine, but when I went off in the opposite direction, I kept getting crashes. Unsure why. Perhaps post your CE settings (trespasser.ini)? That might make it work.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

So I gave this a go in CE and didn't experience any crashes or performance issues, unlike Drac. All of my CE settings for Draw Distance-type stuff are set to the defaults so that might be it. In general I don't think custom levels should be played with those values turned up at all.

Anyway! I spent quite a bit of time exploring this level, making sure to check out every nook and cranny I could. In general, I really enjoyed what I saw. Will cover my exploration in point-form as I look around further in TresEd since I don't want to review this level in an unfinished state as I'm hoping to see it eventually finished:
Spoiler: show
- The starting watefall area is beautiful, and I'm glad to see you put the particle triggers to use there! I assume there is something missing, such as a parked helicopter or the like, to explain how you got to the island?
- I loved the subtle references to the original game's layout along the "jungle road" area you come across right beyond the waterfall. In fact you did such a good job of disguising the BE terrain that I had to go into Terrain Edit Mode just to make sure it was BE at all! Even the see-saw bridge is there, though of course the famous first Raptor was sadly missing.
- The foundation: holy smokes...what a jumping puzzle that is! I think it's become a tradition at this point that if there is a construction site, there must be at least one difficult jumping puzzle in the area. That whole area is truly impressive.
- The dinosaur spawn triggers scattered around the level area a welcome feature that not many levels have. Spawning in dinosaurs to surprise the player is way more interesting than the usual "see Raptor in distance - shoot" set-up we tend to see.
- Your reconstruction of the starting beach is nice, and the area beyond it on the cliffside is cool, although I feel it could have been a bit more dangerous and rockier.
- Interestingly, you seem to have placed that waterfall on the shore right in the same place as I had in my extremely old Beach remake level (which is lost forever, sadly).
- In general, the open-world nature of this level makes it really stand out, especially with the layered roads and overlooks all over the place. The way some roads overlook areas you'll visit later/previously and weave around the mountains is perfect. And there are so many little off-the-road places and minor trails that suddenly lead you off in new directions that I honestly couldn't be happier with the degree of open-exploration this level contains.
- The harbour area is neat, though it would have been cool to see it completed, especially with the railroad ending in place.
- I see you put those railroad tracks to excellent use, though I can't seem to find the place where that collapsed tunnel was.
- The valley where the Town would presumably be looks pretty epic, especially with the sweeping view from the excellently done long grass overlook.
- Your take on the redwood forest is quite nice, and I enjoyed the little trek you have to undertake to find the body of the hunter (who I assume is Dieter?)
- I found myself wondering what would have been at that area where the railroad crossings are. For some reason this area reminds me strongly of JPDS.
- The Mayan steps up to the ruins are pretty neat, though I feel that the Mayan theme is starting to get a bit overdone at this point unfortunately. The spectacular view from atop the pyramid makes up for that, of course.
- The mine-area behind my suspension bridge is very intriguing...gaaaah, just another thing really makes me wish this level were completed! :P This also goes for the other minor unfinished areas, especially that one with the summit lift which leads up to the "Windfarm" music trigger.
After having trekked all through this level (and then flown some more), I definitely have to say that it shines so much in both scale and interesting-ness (pardon my French). I really think you should continue this and finish it as there is clearly something great going on here, and I'd really like to give it another go with the Town implemented and the greater challenge of many more dinosaurs.

Excellent work overall, TresGuy! :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice review TI - I'd like to give a more thorough response, myself, just as soon as I have a CE settings file which won't cause the level to crash on my end...
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Thanks for all the feedback guys! maybe some day I'll get around to finishing this level. But before that can happen, I gotta figure out a way to reduce the crashing when walking around the path on the right at the start of the level.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Nice review TI - I'd like to give a more thorough response, myself, just as soon as I have a CE settings file which won't cause the level to crash on my end...
What you could do is to make sure the debug log setting (LogDevInfo=XX) is set to like 100 and post the debug text file the game generates when it crashes.
So I gave this a go in CE and didn't experience any crashes or performance issues, unlike Drac. All of my CE settings for Draw Distance-type stuff are set to the defaults so that might be it. In general I don't think custom levels should be played with those values turned up at all.
Hey TI, while I know it could be related to system specs, could it be possible it works for you cause the 4 gb patch help? I don't think Draco is using it.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TrespasserGuy wrote:Thanks for all the feedback guys! maybe some day I'll get around to finishing this level. But before that can happen, I gotta figure out a way to reduce the crashing when walking around the path on the right at the start of the level.
Hmm, do you have occlusion objects in the level? If you plonk a few of those down under the mountains, it might help.
tatu wrote:Hey TI, while I know it could be related to system specs, could it be possible it works for you cause the 4 gb patch help? I don't think Draco is using it.
That's a possibility, but I'd like to know if it's anything in the .ini file first. The 4GB patch doesn't seem to reduce crashing which is present without the patch though, it more or less just makes the game run smoother.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Hey guys, here's another unfinished level of mine. The premise is that you are Norman, a.k.a. the guy from Drac's Cursed Arena level, and you were driving on a foggy road somewhere in the state of Maine, when all of a sudden your truck runs out a gas. You then had to traverse the wooded landscape in search of a fuel source for your car, when all the while Zombie Raptors from JPDS were stalking you.
I didn't get a lot done but a few puzzles still exist. You actually can find a gas can, but I never made an end level trigger that makes the level end when you bring the can to the car. Oh well :P Maybe someday.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0l1e5g4d2 ... L.zip/file

I'm gonna have to rename this thread like "TresGuy's Unreleased, unfinished Levels"
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: TrespasserGuy's Unfinished, Unreleased Levels

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well then. Another one of those way-too-much-space-without-much-in-it levels. At a smaller scale I'd say it looks promising, and surprisingly similar to a bit of the original "CursedForest" mod idea of mine, which the "CursedArena" level was a spin-off of. Basically an HP Lovecraft level. As well, my idea was going to rig up a vast teleport trigger system which would randomize large-scale locations around the map each time you started the level.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Checked out the TL level, and while I can see that it clearly isn't in a hugely finished state, there were some things I immediately noticed that I liked and didn't like:
Spoiler: show
- The open-world layout is again refreshing, though this time I feel that it might have been a tiny bit too large and empty (though you tend to be pretty good at fleshing out levels so that might be because of the state it's currently in).
- I like the overall spooky, foggy woods theme. The abandoned gas station especially reminded me of any classic 70s-80s slasher movie - if I was playing the level, I'd see that and think "I don't want to go in there, but it seems I have to! (in a good way). This sort of theme is something we haven't really seen before in Tres and I'd certainly like to see done one day.
- The little ruin atop the hill with the underground area and the destroyed bridge are cool and nicely made as always, however...
-...I couldn't help but notice that a couple of locations were a bit cliched for the "lost in the woods" horror theme, which I have seen a lot of in independent games and such. There's always a destroyed bridge in order to force you off the road, and you see a lot of abandoned gas station-type places. This is more of a trope than anything, which is a shame because there are so many bad "horror" games which have done these things to death to the point that I immediately felt that those locations were sort of cheap. Not really your fault, but it's something I observed overall that I wanted to point out.
Other than that, not a whole lot to say on this one, other than I'd again like to see where it was going ultimately. I don't feel its base is as strong as the other level, but in any case I'd take a weak Tres level over no level at all. :wink: Next we need to fill a mall with the zombie Raptors and call it "Dawn of the Dino". :P
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Didn't see the gas station or ruins in my ingame flyaround.. Neato. Also the level appeared overly-large from the fog covering up the distance.. making it feel a little more empty than in TresEd. My two cents.
TrespasserGuy
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrespasserGuy »

Welp, here's one more unfinished level from the archives. I'm sure some of you are aware of my Mountain Road mod. Well, here is what was supposed to be its sequel, Everlasting Jungle. I'm pretty sure I put in a ingame teaser to this when I released MR. I never got around to finishing Everlasting Jungle, so you really can't complete it. You can explore a decent amount of the level though. Keep in mind when playing through this that this level was abandoned a long time ago, and does not reflect my level of modding right now. The last time I touched these files were in 2016~2017 iirc. A part of this mod includes some poorly executed areas from JPIII, like the water-truck Eric hides in and the Pteranodon aviary, and a whole hodge-podge of brain-farts and stolen ideas from past modders :redface: Well anyway, I present to you Everlasting Jungle :p

http://www.mediafire.com/file/scrpmljwv ... 9.zip/file
Attachments
TPass024resize.bmp
TPass024resize.bmp (763.06 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

...Whooooaaa. Just got done playing, then TresEd-checking. First unfortunately I need to note, for some reason almost none of the physics in this level worked. I'm not sure why, possibly something to do with the building-block method used in some places. But I could walk through everything, and the dinosaurs remained inactive except the Camara at the beginning. :? Very unfortunate. But, I explored most of the level on foot regardless. I absolutely love this design, was always wondering what was around the next corner. Kudos on being the only other modder from Nem to release a level using pushes as maze-paths, that looked nice (though I only realized they were physical in TresEd). The JP/// stuff was great, that's a nice start on the Aviary. Not sure how far SI got but it's the most I've seen in any released content. What was that green theropod by the Aviary? Forgot to check its name. And where'd you get it?? Again, lovely level design and choice of assets.

In TresEd I discovered I'd missed the entrance to an underground facility. Investigating, I found... :| Well I won't spoil here, but that was totally unexpected and fairly impressive. One or more of machf's CAnimals might have gone nicely there.

Anyway, it's clear you spent a lot of time on this mod. Seems to have been your training for future endeavors. It's fun to know that such things were being made when we didn't realize, and important that they eventually see the light of day. So sad that the physics don't work. Also, been years since I saw anything new using TC~Isle trees/trnobjs. Cheers!