Post by tatu »

Yes, this link is safe for people who see it being weird, it is this image :P :
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: 4ushT

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haha thanks, things we take for granted on comps get weird on phones.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well damn, seems I can't play this level as I get a crash as soon as I leave the starting village area. Seems like too many intersecting trees might be the culprit here. :?

Still, I went over it again in TresEd, and I'll give a quick overview of my thoughts:
Spoiler: show
-The variety in this level is excellent. There's so much to see and every area appears unique...the view coming out of the trees when you first glimpse that barren medieval town is really great. Looks really spooky and foreboding.
- That UFO is just awesome. I love seeing anything classic sci-fi themed like that.
- The level itself felt really alien - the impression I got was that this was a strange land that was pulling chunks out of time to assemble itself. Looks like there's a lot going on here with a fair bit of potential.
- I like the use of the whitish-coloured dinosaurs - they reminded me of grey aliens. :wink:
- From what I was able to play in this level, I got a really creepy vibe. The reddish tint made everything seem really surreal.
- The ghostly skeleton on the 2nd floor of the Plantation House scared the crap out of me, I didn't notice him from the outside. It would have been cool if maybe he was scripted to disappear when you went to go see if he was up there, and really eerie. Reminds me of some of the stuff you and I were doing with that one level (you know the one).
- The ancient ruins with the spinosaurus are cool, but seem somewhat barren. Same with the medieval village, though I'm guessing these areas, along with some others, wasn't quite finished?
- Seems like there's a severe lack of guns, which is fine by me as it makes escaping the dinosaurs a lot more interesting.
- I must say that the red tint everywhere was hurting my eyes, it was making me strain to look around in the darker areas as well. :? I would have gone with a softer tint in order to avoid this.
- Ah, and good job disguising the retail terrain you used - I didn't notice that it was a retail terrain until I noticed Mount Watson. :P
Overall I really like the level, just a shame I couldn't play it. It'd be nice if we could get some sort of proper fix for that crash as it's absolutely devastating when trying to make a dense forest.

And I must say that I'm super excited for Lost Jungle III. Those levels may be small, but they're always fun to play.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ahhhhhhhhh......

That's, the sound of my satisfaction of you finally playing this level 8)
Thanks for your review! The impressions you got were as-designed. Also, yes, some areas were unfinished. As a note, the gun you get at the beginning has 100 shots. I imagine Norman has a bunch of bullets on his person.

We do need to figure this issue out. I should hope fiddling with the CE settings could solve it. Those trees are pretty low-calibur.. :? You could also try playing the level in ATX...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Thanks for your review! The impressions you got were as-designed. Also, yes, some areas were unfinished. As a note, the gun you get at the beginning has 100 shots. I imagine Norman has a bunch of bullets on his person.
No problem! And I actually didn't see any gun at the start of the level...I would have ended up doing the whole thing without a weapon.
We do need to figure this issue out. I should hope fiddling with the CE settings could solve it. Those trees are pretty low-calibur.. :? You could also try playing the level in ATX...
I don't actually have ATX at all anymore, since I couldn't run it on my old computer. There must be a setting or something to fix this...CE has a bunch of settings related to transparency anti-aliasing, perhaps that has something to do with it.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Why not try now? This is a good level to test it on - I'm sure I could've released this level 3 years ago and no one would've had crashes. It's really not very taxing for an average Tres mod. Anyway we're all being crowded into our houses by Corona (supposedly) so let's hash this thing out :statue:
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I did a quick test. It doesn't crash for me when leaving the village. TI, could you post your trespasser.ini? Then I could compare it to mine and do some testing to see if I can reproduce the crashing? :)

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Okay, I managed to get it to work after fiddling around with some CE settings - I had to massively increase the memory usage across all fronts, but the level now seems to be playable, albiet a bit laggy (another problem I'm trying to figure out). Seems like the game runs a bit better - going to check and see if this reduces crashing in the other levels I was having problems with. In case it helps anyone, my settings are now:

Code: Select all

[Memory]
SysMemSize=4000000
SysMemSizeD3D=4000000
MemSizeD3D=512
MemCachePercentD3D=40
TexPoolSizeD3D=8192
MaxTerrainMem=100000
MaxTerrainDynaShadowMem=100000
ExtraTerrainNodes=512
ForceManagedMemD3D=False
MeshHeapSize=48
Anyway, it's too late to actually try the level, but I'll do so when I get some time later this week. I might have to edit the start triggers a bit first because the red tint really strains my eyes. :cry:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

It IS an alien dimension. Perhaps simply making it a brighter shade of the same hue would help..

Tatu let me know what you think of the level 8)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Where are the damn ray guns! I just played this; I like the alien type environment, but sadly, I spent most of my time running for my life. Are there any guns around??
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That's one way to play it I guess XD There is an antique pistol in the bird bath with 100 shots. Glad you liked it! Threw in some of your Roman ruins at the end.
tatu

Post by tatu »

FINALLY played it through. It is a very confusing level. I'll avoid talking about foliage height as it is unfinished and you have become better at it. ;)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Haha, confusing how? As described it is an intentional mix of civilizations across times and places, who have been thrown together by some alien force of unknown origin.. similar to the graphic novel the mod is based on.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I didn't know this was based on anything, actually, I guessed at the theme. They tried to do something similar with Turok: Evolution's world, but ultimately the story just kind of fell apart.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Wait which story fell apart?