Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PLSUM Preview 1)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PH2IT Pre-Release Release)

Post by Rebel »

I've been playing through this off and on for a few days now, I actually love the way the levels are tied together. I imagine that's what the original devs had in mind when they were
developing the game, it just wasn't possible back then. So, yeah, it really is terrific work, tatu. No doubt, you have a lot of patience, bud.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hilwo wrote:Absolute incredible work, this is definitely becoming like a definitive Trespasser. It's amazing how far you guys have come with this.
:D Thanks!
Have the textures also been updated? I've been very out of the loop on these things, and everything looked a lot more crisp to me. Like, I could actually read the names on the floor tiles in Hammond's house.
Are you using the upscaled texture pack in your retail data folder, by any chance? In that case the upscaled textures would be overriding the regular ones.
Some of my favorite things also include the start into IJ and having to use the logs,
Reminds me, IJ never got proper terrain smoothing/improvement in the ravine...will have to do that at some point. Once we move on to the re-work I will probably alter IJ1 a fair bit to match up with what is described in the walkthrough.
and the inclusion of the gorge and island map rather than choosing one over the other.
Glad you liked that. I will say it again and again - tatu did an amazing job with the gorge considering what I did to it. :wink:
Rebel wrote:I've been playing through this off and on for a few days now, I actually love the way the levels are tied together.
:D Good to hear! I must admit that I am still slightly worried that the entrance to IJ is too obscure...has anyone encountered an issue finding it yet? Once we get into touch-ups I will probably make the stream leading to IJ a bit more obvious since the layout of PH2 is somewhat confusing (considering Cathy's Beach is so far from the beaten path, and is actually a dead-end - we do eventually want to make an extended version of the island that includes alternate new routes, including one that goes from the Hidden Beach in JR to Cathy's).
I imagine that's what the original devs had in mind when they were
developing the game, it just wasn't possible back then. So, yeah, it really is terrific work, tatu. No doubt, you have a lot of patience, bud.
tatu and I wanted to do the game in just 2 levels originally (BE to the Town and then the Plains to SUM) but although tatu got it working initially, we couldn't work out why it crashed when the TrnObjs got imported. Never got BEIT to work, but tatu actually did. I figure the developers initially imagined the game as one single huge level to explore. Hopefully one day we get an engine upgrade that makes this possible as it probably wouldn't take too much to make the game's levels more stable with more objects.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

TheIdiot wrote:Are you using the upscaled texture pack in your retail data folder, by any chance? In that case the upscaled textures would be overriding the regular ones.
No clue :) I downloaded the bundle tatu provided and didn't change any of the settings. Are the upscaled ones used by default? Maybe it's been too long since I played :razz:
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Hilwo wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:Are you using the upscaled texture pack in your retail data folder, by any chance? In that case the upscaled textures would be overriding the regular ones.
No clue :) I downloaded the bundle tatu provided and didn't change any of the settings. Are the upscaled ones used by default? Maybe it's been too long since I played :razz:
It is not. However, all floors in IT are not terrain objects anymore, and therefore they look better (like how you noticed the foot prints in Wu's house). However, Salas kid's names I believe are on the upper level of Hammond's mansion, so that is probably due to CE settings :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

On another subject T.I., I don't know if it was Tatu's or your idea to do a C.E. stand-alone package, but it was a good idea since it eliminates the need for anyone to actually have a copy
of the game on hand and lessens the chore of doing the mod folder on your own. This should be adopted as standard practice -
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:On another subject T.I., I don't know if it was Tatu's or your idea to do a C.E. stand-alone package, but it was a good idea since it eliminates the need for anyone to actually have a copy
of the game on hand and lessens the chore of doing the mod folder on your own. This should be adopted as standard practice -
That was all tatu.
I personally wouldn't do the same to my own mod folder as I prefer to save as much space as possible (my Tres hard drive is packed full!) when installing stuff, so even when tatu sent me this as a test I only kept the .ini just in case I needed to adjust some settings to match his since the rest was unnecessary. I feel that non-advanced users benefit a lot more from this sort of thing than experienced modders - I'd rather my releases come in mod folder format but without the standalone game files, which is a good middle-ground for both advanced users and regulars.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

While I think a standalone package can be a logical way to release some Trespasser mods, I don't think it should be the standard. Single level mods which don't necessitate ATX or CE specific features should be released as zipped level files and mods that use CE can be released as a FM mod folder. A standalone package is a lot more user friendly, but if you bundle retail TPAs with every mod release, you'll be using up a lot of space and increasing download times.
tatu

Post by tatu »

I plan on releasing a MOD only package when this get a proper release. For this I decided to release a standalone to make it simple for people, as a lot of people still find it confusing on how to setup mods. And this way people who doesn't have the game installed don't need to get the TPAs from it. In this case, the Memory settings in the full package is required to avoid certain crashes.
And people don't tend to read the readme these days, or ask the questions answered in the readme before reading it :P

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

tatu wrote:It is not. However, all floors in IT are not terrain objects anymore, and therefore they look better (like how you noticed the foot prints in Wu's house). However, Salas kid's names I believe are on the upper level of Hammond's mansion, so that is probably due to CE settings :)
Ah, that explains it :)
tatu wrote:And people don't tend to read the readme these days, or ask the questions answered in the readme before reading it :P
Wait, there's a readme?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:Hope you guys enjoy this, tatu and I (but especially tatu) put in a ton of hard work to get this to where it is now! :D
Looks like I've missed several things... damn Chrome browser. Stupid programmers...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
St3n
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by St3n »

@tatu does your mod support non english voiceovers, e.g. german?
tatu

Post by tatu »

St3n wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:21 pm @tatu does your mod support non english voiceovers, e.g. german?
Yes and no. You can use the German TPA files. However, the mod uses voiceovers not used and found in the retail game, so some voiceovers were not (from what we know anyway) recorded in non-English languages. But you can probably play it fine in German for most of them :)

St3n
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by St3n »

tatu wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:41 pm
St3n wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:21 pm @tatu does your mod support non english voiceovers, e.g. german?
Yes and no. You can use the German TPA files. However, the mod uses voiceovers not used and found in the retail game, so some voiceovers were not (from what we know anyway) recorded in non-English languages. But you can probably play it fine in German for most of them :)
That’s going to be interesting :-)
tatu

Post by tatu »

Update: I am slowly making progress on this. There is nothing close to release. At the moment I am comparing all the objects used between levels and builds (excluding foliage and terrain objects).
I do hope to have a release by mid of August, as I plan on spending my vacation doing as much work as possible.

tatu

Post by tatu »

Update: Today is my final day at work before I go on a 4 week vacation. My hopes is that by the end of these 4 weeks, I will have at least a pre-release version of PL-SUM for you all.
My progress so far is pretty good. I have compared all objects and foliage between builds. The final thing I have is the terrain objects, which will be pretty quick work.