Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PLSUM Preview 1)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PLSUM Preview 1)

Post by tatu »

Trespasser: Isla Sorna

UPDATE: Pre-release release of PH2IT: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 62#p136562
UPDATE 2: Preview of PLSUM: https://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic. ... 40#p139040
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
It is finally here, the first part of Trespasser: Isla Sorna. The first part consist of BE, JR and PH1. Hopefully you will find it interesting and fun.
I will continue to update this as well as working on PH2, IJ and IT.
The latest CE patch is required for this mod to work. It also take advantage of some of CE's features so please read the readme before you play it.
I won't say more, I'd rather you go and play it!

Download: https://www.trescom.org/download/trespasser-isla-sorna/

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Old information:
Spoiler: show
Added Jan 2019: TI and I are unsure which way to go here so we are asking for your input. At the moment the first part TresSouth, which contain Beach, Jungle Road, Plantation House, Industrial Jungle and Town is starting to get finished. Most stuff is placed and I am currently working on implementing the voiceovers in a better order across the levels.
One thing we are unsure of however is what to do with the weapons and dinosaurs. At least my vision with this mod is to reduce the amount of shooter it is at times and the amount of weapons. Right now it is too easy to kill dinosaurs and you can easily bunny jump away from them. I want the game to focus more on the dinosaurs being deadlier (and at the same time fewer of them, specially raptors) and more focus on the story and exploration. However, we want your input if you would like to see this in the first release or at a later date.

In recent years there have been a few members in our community that have combined all the terrains from Trespasser into one big terrain. For many years I have wanted to make some kind of ultimate "bug fix" version of the Trespasser levels. Little effort has been made to do this as far as I know, and only smaller project of it has ever gotten released. After spending years in TresEd you begin to notice all the issues with floating objects or objects being underground when playing through the game.
For many years I've been lacking a mood to do any heavy modding for Trespasser, which can be shown with my TUPP project and the ASUM level, which took almost 2 years to finish after I began it.
My first release of the TUPP project combined AS, AS2 and SUM into one big level, and began as a test project to see if it was possible to combined some Trespasser levels in a good way.

When we got the E3 and PCGamer build, and finally a working version of PH last fall, my mood to work on Trespasser started to come back. And earlier this year I decided I should pick up this plan again. I started to talk with TheIdiot about the terrain he made and we start to work on this project.

Our plan with this project is to combine the Trespasser levels into as few levels possible. Right now there are 3 sets of levels planned.

1st set: BE, JR, PH, IJ.
2nd set: IT, (PL), PV, LAB.
3rd set: AS, AS2, SUM.

Right now I am working on the 1st set of levels, and my main focus right now is to fix the height of the foliage in the levels. I have done small amount in JR, PH is almost done and the first part (up to the lake) is done for IJ.

We will use different versions of the terrains for this project. Most of them will have a combination of the various terrains we have for the levels. We also plan on trying to fix various other things in the levels. Stuff like puzzles, voiceovers and scripts. One "major" thing will be that we are probably redoing the voiceover locations to follow Anne's voiceover script more closely, as it still follows the game pretty nicely. Hammond's will also be redone in some parts, but original planned placements of his are more difficult as it doesn't follow the same path as Anne's.

At this moment, this project has no deadline, or a date we are planning on releasing it. The set of levels will be released as they are finished, and we are working on the sets in order, meaning we will finish the 1st set before starting work on the 2nd set. My personally wish is that the project will be fully released by Trespasser's 20 year anniversary next year. I work on the project a bit every now and then whenever I feel for it. Right now I am the one who work on the levels themselves, and TheIdiot is the master of terrain editing, and right now, this is pretty much how we want it.

This project is not meant to be a remake of the game, but rather a project to fix all the tiny things in the levels. Adding a fresh experience for both new and old players of the game. I guess you could say the project will try to finish what the devs never got the time to finish level wise.

If you have any question about this project, feel free to ask them here.
Any suggestions or wishes are also very much welcome.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser Island Mod

Post by Draconisaurus »

This project sounds pretty nice to me. One thing I want to say is that, people like to see new stuff. I suggest creating as much "new" stuff, while staying true to the collective original-Tres resources, as possible. Make new stuff out of the assets they created, put them in places we don't necessarily have evidence for, set up puzzles as if the Tres dev managers are standing over you saying "This level needs to be playable, expansive, and immersive!" except that you have more time than they did.

Oh and, JPDS showed us that large areas of CWaterEntities are possible. I might recommend the creation of an actual water-lake in IJ2...
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:This project sounds pretty nice to me. One thing I want to say is that, people like to see new stuff. I suggest creating as much "new" stuff, while staying true to the collective original-Tres resources, as possible. Make new stuff out of the assets they created, put them in places we don't necessarily have evidence for, set up puzzles as if the Tres dev managers are standing over you saying "This level needs to be playable, expansive, and immersive!" except that you have more time than they did.

Oh and, JPDS showed us that large areas of CWaterEntities are possible. I might recommend the creation of an actual water-lake in IJ2...
Hm. There *might* be some new stuff added, but nothing new that we don't have evidence for. One of these is for the water area in IJ2. TheIdiot and I have been talking a bit how to get that working, as we want that puzzle implemented in it. We will also look into how we can add whatever original asset that hasn't been used in the levels.

I do not however want to add any stuff that we do not have evidence for, as that is not the intent of the project. It would also take away the spirit of the original levels imo. That will be for other people to do, and hopefully use these levels as a base level for future levels. We also don't have any proper fixed versions for all levels, only a bit here and there.

Never the less. After this project is done, we have been talking about that it can be used as a base to add fan made stuff and new areas and so on.
But as of now, I have no plans on adding new stuff we don't have any evidence for. (And as a personal note: I personally don't see the stuff in the walkthrough as evidence it was added in the game either, at least not all. And I will probably avoid adding anything from it unless there are evidence in the level themselves that they either tried to, or planned on adding it to the level).

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

This project sounds pretty nice to me. One thing I want to say is that, people like to see new stuff. I suggest creating as much "new" stuff, while staying true to the collective original-Tres resources, as possible. Make new stuff out of the assets they created, put them in places we don't necessarily have evidence for, set up puzzles as if the Tres dev managers are standing over you saying "This level needs to be playable, expansive, and immersive!" except that you have more time than they did.
That isn't entirely out plan. As tatu said, it's more meant to be an update to the original levels rather than a remake (Tres HD is more than enough of a handful for me). The stuff we plan on adding in the initial release is quite minimal, but we do have plans on a further release once the base levels are done to make a few additions to the levels and expand them. However, these expansions would only be added where it would feel like the original developers would have done so. We do however support any fan-made expansion to these levels as the entire island's terrain will be there in-game for editing. :)
Both the lake and the swamp are planned, and we want to try and get the raft puzzle working as well. :wink:
tatu

Post by tatu »

TheIdiot wrote:
That isn't entirely out plan. As tatu said, it's more meant to be an update to the original levels rather than a remake (Tres HD is more than enough of a handful for me). The stuff we plan on adding in the initial release is quite minimal, but we do have plans on a further release once the base levels are done to make a few additions to the levels and expand them. However, these expansions would only be added where it would feel like the original developers would have done so. We do however support any fan-made expansion to these levels as the entire island's terrain will be there in-game for editing. :)
Aye. And I personally believe a project like this is needed. Not to mention that we don't have any release of a working PH and PV that fits well into the game levels.

After this is done, if people want to use it as their own base, it will just be awesome.

And I forgot to say. After all these sets of levels are done, we are planning on doing one main master level, where everything will be present in one huge level. Of course this will only be able to run in TresEd, but it will give a new cool view of the game (even with TresEd's poor terrain rendering outside of terrain mode).

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That additional all-in-one version sounds nice...
Blapeuh
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

Post by Blapeuh »

This sounds like an interesting undertaking. Besides, glad to hear you found the spirit to engage in such projects.
Enthusiasm can be a strong motivational drive. Rock on!
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I like the "3 act" structure this new take will have
tatu

Post by tatu »

Thank you!

As for now, it might be some time before any release, but it will be something I will be working on every now and then, and release when something is finished.

tatu

Post by tatu »

Update: Due to the recent discovery that terrain objects does not appear to count towards the max object limit, this project will change a bit.

Thanks to this it is possible to turn all the levels of Trespasser into 2 huge ones.
The new levels will become like this:

First set: BE, JR, PH, IJ, IT, First part of PL.
Second set: Second part of PL, PV, LAB, AS, AS2, SUM.

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I wasn't aware that PL was being split into 2 levels? How are you managing this? And I assume this is the "ultimate" version, since the combine-only mod has a tiny area countable as "PL" to work with..
tatu

Post by tatu »

Apparently the walkthrough for PL have a good location close to the sea area where it seems the player can't go back, which will be the level switch.

And yes, that is the plan for the "ultimate" version. For the combine-only version, PL will possibly be in second set of levels.

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:I wasn't aware that PL was being split into 2 levels? How are you managing this? And I assume this is the "ultimate" version, since the combine-only mod has a tiny area countable as "PL" to work with..
As tatu said, yeah, PL will sort of be split in half. The only part that will be in the first set of levels will be the valley you leave the town through, then the levels will switch as you pass an unclimbable area of land and enter the Plains themselves. So technically Plains is in the second level, for the most part.

There will be a tiny teaser for the ultimate version with Plains present in the first release as a sort of "easter egg", though. :wink:
tatu

Post by tatu »

Today all JR foliage got done. This is a bit of a milestone as JR is probably the level with most amount of foliage and most "boring" to fix. It contain a lot of copy-and-paste foliage so it becomes pretty repetitive. However, now it is done :D

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

We're still working on this mod, though we haven't updated for a while. I wanted to share a couple of additions and edits I've made to the terrain in order to merge together the different levels.
Click on Image
The entrance to IJ from PH. Some major editing was done to ensure that the player has to cross the small stream-like thing in order to enter IJ. On the left is the stream you follow to get to the house itself.
Click on Image
Here's the area between the landslide, the town's western gate and the swamp/lake. It's not very detailed yet, but the area is carved out already so that it can be created in later versions.
Click on Image
One of the largest changes we made was incorporating the gorge from retail into the PCGamer version of IJ. We wanted to retain both the swamp and the gorge, so ultimately we decided to move the gorge over to the side as sort of an alternate route around the swamp. We also scaled the gorge down vertically by about 15% in order to fit it in, which is barely noticable but certainly looks more realistic. The gorge goes right up to the edge of the hills which divide IJ and PV. From its exit, you won't have far to go through the swamp before you reach the rock steps.
Click on Image
The same area with terrain edit mode on. There is still much work to be done in order to properly blend the gorge with the terrain around it. Interestingly, there was already a hill present where we put the gorge in the PCGamer version, so it fit fairly naturally into the terrain.
Click on Image
Here's the exit to the gorge looking toward the rock steps, visible in the distance. From here, you can follow the raised terrain around the swamp straight to the steps. I'm going to try and ensure that people who elect to take the swamp aren't able to get up here until they are at the end of it.
Click on Image
The gorge exit from another angle. You can see that after crossing the log, you'll arrive on a natural slope leading down to the steps. At the bottom right of this image is Pine Valley.
Click on Image
The exit to the town into the plains. I lowered the area of mountains blocking off the plains which looked to be obviously raised by the developers. There is currently a small ledge here which blocks off the entrance to the plains instead, but you'll get a sneak peek of them as you walk through here nonetheless. The Plains themselves will not be in the first release version, but we plan on adding them in the future; the seaside area where you jump down into the plains proper will become the location of the level switch.
Click on Image
Turned off fog in order to show you the awesome combination tatu did of PV and LAB. That big hill in PV which wasn't there in earlier versions is gone, and the streams are connected properly to each other. You can even see the road from retail's LAB level off to the side - a future version might make use of this for a new purpose.
Click on Image
Finally, the biggest addition I've made thusfar - an actual road going up from the Plains to the Summit. It's blocked off by another washout, forcing you to go through the rest of the levels, but it finally joins up that one dead-end road from AS2 with the Plains road. There's still some work to be done to make this look smooth, though I'm already quite happy with the result.
Click on Image
Here's the road from the mountain. It's extremely difficult to replicate the style of the already-made road in AS2 without pulling the polycount overboard, and you won't be able to walk back down there anyway from the top (at least not in this version), so it's somewhat less detailed than the rest of the roads.

Tatu has informed me that the first half of the island, which consists of BE to IT (and eventually Plains as well) is getting closer to being finished, with his foliage work being done all the way up to IJ2.