Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: MinePass

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ocelot! First time knowing of such a feline.

The barge entrance seems a good idea. Might have been useful to Grant and co. in the book.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Having an entrance actually makes sense in the film we don't see a crane or a way for the cages to be pushed to the gate Eric and Amanda use. This issue and the open bridge makes me think that the Pteranodons in Jp3 are rather passive unless agitated or nesting. Or they are aggressive but like the Ceradactylus they weren't imagined to be.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm, that one walkway was definitely open. Others weren't. I'm not sure what to make of it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Your aviary looks very nice, I'm glad to see this area recreated as to me it is the standout part of JP3. :) Couple of things to note: I'm pretty sure the building the characters use to enter the aviary is supposed to be on top of the dome section, in fact it's visible in the final CGI shot of the aviary in the movie. I'm not supremely familiar with JP3's sets but it looks as if the aviary is actually extremely large and extends for quite a long way up the river, away from the entrance building. The pteranodon carries Eric away from the dome up the river, where you can see that the rest of the building (not the dome) seems to go on for quite some distance down a long canyon - I don't believe the opposite end of it is ever seen. The canyon part is covered by a series of metal struts with what looks like wire mesh between them. It looks to me that in your image you've made the "square" part end at a cliff just beyond the dome when the film seems to show that this actually goes on for quite some distance. It's hard to tell what's happening in the film though.
Is there more reference material for the CGI aviary than what is seen in the film? I'd be interested to know what the extent of the aviary is meant to be as it does appear to continue for quite some way up the river - the characters in the movie stay in the dome area (it seems as if the walkways are only present in this portion of the building), though Eric is carried a short way away into the "square" part.
we don't see a crane
There is actually a crane or lift of some form visible in the top-right of the final CGI shot of the aviary, at the top of the cliff, and there is another pulley device visible right after the characters descend the steps into the aviary, and there seems to be some kind of control box on the wall behind them as well.

Here are some references:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Click on Image
Click on Image
And check out the scenes where Billy is hang gliding or Eric is being carried by the pteranodon. The dome section isn't visible in any of those shots as it appears to be behind a bend in the canyon (the bend is visible in the first image I uploaded, behind the buildings - these shots are further up river (away from the dome), which means the pteranodon carries Eric further into the aviary and then Billy carries him back to the dome part, where the other characters are. The "square" part looks absolutely massive in the flying shots as it is large enough to be able to hide the dome from view, and you never see the opposite side.

Anyway, not sure how accurate you're going with this, just thought it might be worthwhile in general to do some more research on this. :wink: And apologies for the semi-decent quality of the images, I only have the DVD edition transferred to my PC. I have the Blu Rays with the free digital copy, but only ever downloaded the first movie.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice research. I did a little for JPDS back in the day, but never got around to fleshing it out.

Thought I'd point out the version of the Aviary in the JP3 Arcade game:

MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Did a short video, nothing special. https://youtu.be/ZAEWvzoyXlc
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Really cool to see such a large explorable Sorna. The low detail of Minecraft blocks makes me feel at home. I'll definitely try to place this somehow at some point.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:Ocelot! First time knowing of such a feline.
You should watch "Archer", then...
:wink:
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

So big changes to the PL's area. First, through world painter I've drastically reduced the amount of grass from a whopping 100% to about 10%. this is for a less bland and overwhelming sea of green but to make the area where the game loads this in to be less jarring and dramatic. Next the train track between the rail entrance to the Lowlands and the area by the mudpots scene in the last quick video have been connected, still needs the wooden ties but that's a minor task. Moving on from that the Radio tower, block house, and Greenwood's cave have returned to this area after so long, such areas existed in the old version of this area years ago. And lastly, thanks to the max scene and concept art we now have the trees. Unfortunately, the trees are a lot of guesswork since they're not clearly identified like the Cuban palms and PV trees. So, their design and size are based on speculation. Oh, and the flood control building has been block changed and rotated to look over the channel. A copy of the geo plant transformers has been made for the eventual power pylons running to the EA complex. A small parking lot and pickup truck are present, a nod to the Dam image with the truck and stegosaurus.
No idea what the next update will be, maybe I'll revisit the JP3 marina :pirate:
Attachments
6-19.png
6-19.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 30302 times
Minecraft 6_22_2022 10_17_22 PM.png
Minecraft 6_22_2022 10_17_22 PM.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 30302 times
Minecraft 6_22_2022 10_16_36 PM.png
Minecraft 6_22_2022 10_16_36 PM.png (805.02 KiB) Viewed 30302 times
Minecraft 6_21_2022 10_07_25 PM.png
Minecraft 6_21_2022 10_07_25 PM.png (965.69 KiB) Viewed 30302 times
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

That look's pretty damn cool. I'm actually amazed at how much work you've put into this, a long process generally leads to one pulling one's hair out.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

What Rebel said. 5 years in with a solo project is something a lot of people never tends to manage. Looks good :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Hahaha, yeah I'm pretty amazed myself at how things have evolved since the beginning of this journey. And it has been one hell of a journey, especially since I've NEVER attempted something like this before. And do be doing it solo, yeah don't think we want to jump to conclusions about my current sanity :yum:.

And actually Tatu, it's 6 years. Started this back on June 14, 2016. The flowering of an ambition born six years ago. A six years struggle come to this...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Your Plains depiction looks really close to what I've been plotting out for the Plains as well. I think the only things you're missing are the downed radio tower and the pond between two steep slopes, which I've placed right around where you put the start of your stream as there are two rough hills there in the WTD files. I've also guessed that there is supposed to be a gate between the original IT dam valley and the rest of the Plains area because there are multiple mentions of gates in seperate places. You were meant to enter the Plains level through a rocky cliff area between the hills and the shore right around where the player is standing in your last image as there is meant to be a washout preventing the player from reaching the Plains via the original path from the town...I believe this is present in the retail game but has the problem of being too far back to prevent the player from entering the Plains area if they go through the gap between the two areas. Remember that originally Anne was meant to leave the Town through the south-eastern gate (removed in Retail but present in early builds) for this reason.
And I really like what you've done with the dam area, looks far more realistic than the depiction in retail. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Loving all the attention given to stray details, about both Tres-Sorna and all the other versions. It accomplishes what Tres mods are certain never to reach.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Thanks TI, with so little or vague information about this particular level it was definitely tricky working in the various areas we know about. The radio tower is present, you can see it on the dam valley mountain. It's just not in a derelict or fallen state, I have to put some time in at some point and see how I can get that fallen look. I'm using the radio station building image for this, and will have multiple ones across the island. The South gate goes into the Lowlands for the JP3 lab and rotten jungle. I might be able to get the cliff rock puzzle in there but will be the player's way out of the EA complex if they choose to follow the train tracks to the "dino" wall. The East gate has the derelict bridge, thought it sounded more interesting than another washout. The pond could go where you suggested but will have to see, I have a small cave hidden there. That way Greenwoods is less obvious and will be a nice reward if you already looked in some empty caves. The Dam area I will agree looks loads better, still need to add the power pylons going to the EA compound. But that should be fairly easy…. hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.