Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: MinePass

Post by Draconisaurus »

Huh, I forget which dev material mentions the radio tower? And it's just now struck me that it has implications for Anne's goal of getting off the island...? I guess it wouldn't work because Anne wouldn't have started the geo plant yet.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:Huh, I forget which dev material mentions the radio tower? And it's just now struck me that it has implications for Anne's goal of getting off the island...? I guess it wouldn't work because Anne wouldn't have started the geo plant yet.
Anne's script mention a downed radio tower in Plains!
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

So took a little longer to get this uploaded but it's all worth it, enjoy a long venture across the entire island.
https://youtu.be/nqIs5M28_mo
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Pretty impressive, I must say! Interesting how you tried to work in the extra stuff from the movies. It's a bit odd to me that there are two "towns", though. I like what you did with the interiors of the EA complex, there's so much potential there that's never been explored. That whole area looks really nice with the lake and all as well. I'm pretty impressed with some of the reconstructions of Tres buildings and locations as well, and I really like what you did with the pre-release PV stuff, with the View Building, red machine and tar pits. I'm not sure I understand why you changed the majority of PV, though, as the lower part with the road looks way different from the game's version.
I'm guessing you plan on recreating the beta version of AS1 with the extended beginning part? Or is there going to be something a bit more interesting stuffed in there?
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Thanks TI, so on the settlement concern. The way I see it the Burroughs is the settlement for the InGen staff, security, some construction personel, and of course the bio technicians and other higher up personel. The "model town" in my mind serves as a secondary living area for the other people. Going back to the script,
transported, fed, housed
so with how small and underdeveloped the Burroughs felt in game it would make sense that there could be a secondary living area for the personel needed to build this islands infrastructure.
Couldn't agree more with you on the limitless potential the EA complex as a whole offers in the way of interpretation and creativity. The building I showed with the orange floor and dino displays, should have turned the lights on :oops:. Im going for a novel feel with some arcade game inspiration mixed in.

So PV, when I did the work on this infamous valley I was still building stuff entirely by hand, why those light pillars are still around, so during that work I wanted capture this "gore" concept that seemed to divided the valley. The walkthrough goes on about this feature and the various challenges it imposes. So the gorge by the demo area was my attempt to capture this idea while still working within the games known terrain. The second gorge around the areas with the roads bridge puzzles was a creative liberty I took based on my interpretation of the documents description of the valley. And from that I felt the "plateau" that's between the village and nest was something added and not part of the original design. So I cut that down to a narrow ridge, added a second gorge to keep the bridge puzzles from being pointless and now we have a third path that could be used by some dinos friendly or not. And I had already made a goof by not curving the dam valley in Pl, was a decision from the very early days, and while it did offer some good possibility I still somewhat regret that decision. Regardless if I felt really confident about it I'd like to redo the entire valley to be more like the oldest version we've seen, the one on some developers computer.

Now the ascent has definitely been something I've wanted to take a crack at, especially the rather easy to do Mayan ruins, why do I feel like I jinxed myself *sigh*. Anyway the Ascent 1 is definitely going to require a lot of research to bring it up to what the devs had originally envisioned and even then the text to game comparison is way off in places. The walkthrough almost makes it sound like Mt Watson is more of a spread out mountain rather the imposing black peak we see in game. This bit in particular just isn't possible for how late you would be into your trek
*Albertosaur below (?)
This is right before raptor Kong and the summit transition. And as for something special stuffed in, I do have my own Easter egg idea I have planned for that side of the island but has to wait till I have the important game bits built first to avoid any complications.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Regarding the Ascent stuff - yeah, it does seem like they might not have really planned it out all that well in the walkthrough. The "albertosaur below" section is kind of odd, though considering the lack of logic regarding dinosaurs on the mountain, I can see the albertosaur being crammed into a place where realistically it couldn't be at all. The actual mountain climb section seems to start when it mentions the "tram", so I'm wondering whether the path that you ascend in retail is supposed to be this same tram path.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

TheIdiot wrote:The actual mountain climb section seems to start when it mentions the "tram", so I'm wondering whether the path that you ascend in retail is supposed to be this same tram path.
That I'm definitely not sure about, looking at the island map in Hammond's office, both wall and table, the road is quite different from what we see in game. The entrance to the peak literally on the other side. The other roads have their issues in spots, but you can still match them up with the game's road. The same can't be said for the mountain road in my opinion.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I don't think it's really worth it to try and use that map as a main piece of reference material, considering how inaccurate it really is. It's probably better to treat it like the JP Tour Map, where it's used as a secondary resource rather than directly basing anything on it. The road leading up Mount Watson is totally different to what is seen in retail - even that little bit of road present in AS2 leading downward is on the opposite side of the mountain. The only thing I would infer from that map is that the road leading up Mount Watson is supposed to be in a more complete state than is seen in-game. As an example, for the Isla Sorna Project, I carved a switchback road up the front of the mountain by the dam. I didn't try and follow the Hammond map exactly because it would require rotating the entire mountain 180'. :P
I think the tram path is a completely different path from the road that's meant to be represented on this map. I'd say the path you take up the mountain in retail is the tram path, which isn't visible on the Hammond map at all. The developers never implemented the tram in any version that we know of, but from the walkthrough description the two locations match up.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

It occured to me while reading that Mt Watson is not seen in any photos of Isla Del Cocos. Ack! I wonder if there's a shorter one IRL?
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

Having a look at Google Earth, there is something there but it's much shorter
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:It occured to me while reading that Mt Watson is not seen in any photos of Isla Del Cocos. Ack! I wonder if there's a shorter one IRL?
The geography of the real-life island is totally different to what is seen in Trespasser. They only seem to have used the general shape and nothing more, although the high point on the real island is roughly around where Mount Watson is. There's no giant volcano, though, more like a gradual slope upward. Mount Crick is totally non-existant, and the whole island is covered in rainforest - there's no plains or pine forest at all. The Tres developers did a good job at converting the island into something that looks more like Hawaii but ultimately it bears little to no resemblance to the real thing. :?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm I beg to differ!
Attachments
cocos island map.jpg
cocos island map.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 31912 times
codemuk3y
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by codemuk3y »

https://earth.google.com/web/search/isl ... HN1WrwiFDA

Google earth shows a spot height, just nothing approaching the height of the game version
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" Isaac Newton
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Here's a great overview of the island, looking "Trespasser north" from the beach which was used in BE.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
And another one with the peak of "Mount Watson" clearly visible. Much less pronounced than Tres' version. The small peak to the left of "Mount Watson" doesn't exist in Tres. If you look to the left about midway between this peak and the shore, you can also see another smaller hill, which is presumably where Mount Crick came from.
Click on Image
One more, from "Trespasser east" this time. No JR, the first valley from PH can kind of be made out, but everything beyond that point is completely different from Trespasser's island. The only sign of anything Tres related is the stream barely visible to the left of the image, roughly around where the stream in JR is located, but it looks quite different from the Tres version.
Click on Image
Some of the elevation is similar, especially in the south (you can kind of make out the path that is followed in BE to JR) but overall it looks nothing like Tres' Isla Sorna. The central part of the island where IT would be in a large, deep valley is just a flat plateau. The general ridgelines might be there but they're way, way lower - I'm trying to make out where the Dam valley should be but it's not clear at all. It seems the Tres developers might have massively upscaled the altitude difference in the terrain in order to produce what is in-game.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Interesting talk, still on the fence about the discrepancies between the island map and game. but unless more evidence comes to life it's a mild curiosity at best. As for the in real life island, the image Drac posted, that area on the side of the mountain looks vaguely similar to the PH map.
P19thCntryMap02t2.bmp
P19thCntryMap02t2.bmp (65.3 KiB) Viewed 31902 times
I almost wonder if the walkthrough was written up before they had fully fleshed out the island. Believe in Drac's analysis of the very old dev PV computer image that Mt Watson changed position. even the PV coast received heavy modifications. kind of difficult to visualize the material when the terrain we're looking at could have been significantly different.

Anyway, since I'm here, have upscaled both the canopy trees with Amulet, now have more game 'accurate' foliage to work with. Working on adding trees to the Town. The grass mess has been removed and will be patchier like the PL. And added the two jeeps by the ops center along with redoing the ugly river running through the sewage drain.