Level terrain areas

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Level terrain areas

Post by machf »

This is for reference only, so that you can get an idea. The scale is 1 pixel=2 metres, and it's based on Zandor's map.

Beach terrain location:
BeachMapImage4.jpg
BeachMapImage4.jpg (211.21 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
Jungle Road terrain location:
JungleRoadMapImage5.jpg
JungleRoadMapImage5.jpg (192.26 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
Plantation House terrain location:
PlantationHouseMapImage6.jpg
PlantationHouseMapImage6.jpg (192.16 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
Industrial Jungle terrain location:
IndustrialJungleMapImage10.jpg
IndustrialJungleMapImage10.jpg (202.74 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
Old Town terrain location:
OldTownMapImage3.jpg
OldTownMapImage3.jpg (204.74 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
InGen Town terrain location:
InGenTownMapImage9.jpg
InGenTownMapImage9.jpg (216.51 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
Plains terrain location:
PlainsMapImage2.jpg
PlainsMapImage2.jpg (213.03 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
Pine Valley, Shore and Lab terrain location:
PineValleyMapImage11.jpg
PineValleyMapImage11.jpg (189.24 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
Ascent and Ascent 2 terrain location:
AscentMapImage7.jpg
AscentMapImage7.jpg (192.34 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
Summit terrain location:
SummitMapImage8.jpg
SummitMapImage8.jpg (204.54 KiB) Viewed 13578 times
I hope this lets you get the idea, and also helps when attempting to re-create some level...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Level terrain areas

Post by machf »

In case you need helping getting the overall idea, here's the whole map:
Spoiler: show
SornaMapImage1.jpg
SornaMapImage1.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 13576 times
WARNING! The image is 2816 pixels wide by 1920 pixels high!
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Really nice. Anyone ever thought about making a new version of his map but adding PV and PH too with the same style?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf, thanks much for spitting these out... Should prove useful somewhere.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote:Really nice. Anyone ever thought about making a new version of his map but adding PV and PH too with the same style?
I was thinking of asking the same question...

Might be worth adding those alternate versions of Jungle Road, Industrial Jungle, the Lab (to match Pine Valley), Ascent and InGen Town, too...

Oh, and here's my PSD file with heightmaps and other stuff, now at version 7:
http://www.trescom.org/files/docs/SornaMap7-psd.zip

Available as an XCF file too:
http://www.trescom.org/files/docs/SornaMap7-xcf.zip
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I've uploaded a single TPM file containing the terrains of the various Trespasser levels (except the TestScenes), it's a 48.1 MB RAR file, and when uncompressed it's a 281 MB TPM file.

http://www.trescom.org/download/downloa ... sMerge.rar

You can resave the JPEG images attached to the first post as BMP ones and place them in the same folder as the TPM file so that they are loaded as textures for those terrains. Then you can import them into 3ds Max or Gmax with the TPM Import MAXscript, or import them into a Trespasser level with GeomAdd, and use them as references when editing terrains.
Spoiler: show
TresMerge.png
TresMerge.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 13533 times
Exporting the TPM file took almost 30 hours... first I thought the TPM export script had somehow stopped working, but it's really that it was taking a really, really long time...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Very nice, John...

30 hours?! X_X
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

29 and a half... I interrupted the first two or three attempts after half an hour without seeing any progress, and that's when I decided to revise the TRR expot script in case it was conflicting with the TMP export one... then I itested again exporting a single terrain mesh and it took about 15 minutes, so I concluded it was now working fine and left it exporting the whole thing... never thought it would take THAT long.

At first, I had thought of just uploading a MAX file, but then I thought a TPM file would be more useful...
tatu

Post by tatu »

This is really cool. How accurate it fits the actually terrain itself. Now please someone make a map (and terrain like this) with the early PV, JR and IJ terrain, and then add PH. That would look really cool :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

So which parts of the island do we have no terrain data for (i.e. that can be extracted from the retail levels)? Like the northern / northeastern part of the island? Between Cabo Barreto and Bahia Wafer? That Punta Quiros area looks like there is terrain data?
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Slugger wrote:So which parts of the island do we have no terrain data for (i.e. that can be extracted from the retail levels)? Like the northern / northeastern part of the island? Between Cabo Barreto and Bahia Wafer? That Punta Quiros area looks like there is terrain data?
Well, if you download one of these files:
machf wrote: Oh, and here's my PSD file with heightmaps and other stuff, now at version 7:
http://www.trescom.org/files/docs/SornaMap7-psd.zip

Available as an XCF file too:
you'll get your question answered... it's basically part of the terrain covered by the Plains and a little more (from Punta María to Bahía Wafer), then part of the southeast (from Punta Montealegre to Punta Tuarialba) and a really tiny bit at the southwest (Isla Montagne and a corner near Cabo Atrevido).
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Last night I uploaded the updated versions of the multi-layer maps, I've just updated the links in the downlaod section...

PSD file version 8:
http://www.trescom.org/files/docs/SornaMap8-psd.zip

XCF file version 8:

File size has been incremented by about 10MB for each one after incorporating the four texture maps and bumpmaps from the maps in Hammond's house...