Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

MysteriousGray
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Trespasser: Minecraft Edition

Post by MysteriousGray »

Hello!

This is my first time being a member of TresCom. I figured the first thing I'd do is show off a special project: A complete recreation of Trespasser in Minecraft! It's only about halfway finished (there's still noticeable environmental quirks and no trees) and I only have about four areas to show off, but these areas have been meticulously recreated using information from the original game, both through extensive replaying of levels and from salvaged heightmaps of the levels (stitched together by s13n1 of Trespasser fame), resulting in a very accurate and faithful rendition of the game's levels, represented as a seamless, fully explorable island. Due to a few limitations of Minecraft it isn't perfect, but it is still a very faithful and authentic rendition of the game, presented in a new medium. Enjoy!

Also, please excuse the MASSIVE size of the images, as they were screen caps off a 1080p monitor and this dinky little iPad I'm using to type this diatribe can't really compress them into a smaller size. Also worth noting is that the texture pack used has not been released to the public yet, so to put it bluntly, don't bother asking me where to get it.
Attachments
The Summit (a little gimped in size due to Minecraft only allowing a max build height of 255 meters)
The Summit (a little gimped in size due to Minecraft only allowing a max build height of 255 meters)
image.jpeg (414.91 KiB) Viewed 17168 times
The Town
The Town
image.jpeg (549.29 KiB) Viewed 17168 times
The Geothermal Plant from Pine Valley
The Geothermal Plant from Pine Valley
image.jpeg (653.28 KiB) Viewed 17168 times
The Harbor
The Harbor
image.jpeg (615.05 KiB) Viewed 17168 times
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Trespasser: Minecraft Edition

Post by machf »

Wow. Very nice. I liked the Geothermal Plant particularly...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
FSCarver
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by FSCarver »

Very nice indeed. I intended trying to build the town myself a few years ago but I never got around actually doing it and simply adepted the theme instead. I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to recreating things.

Would love to see the final version of your map.
MysteriousGray
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by MysteriousGray »

FSCarver wrote:Very nice indeed. I intended trying to build the town myself a few years ago but I never got around actually doing it and simply adepted the theme instead. I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to recreating things.

Would love to see the final version of your map.
Thank you. Fortunately, I doubt you'll have to wait very long. Unlike most other recreations that I know of, there is nothing in the way of programming, modeling or extensive terrain restructuring needed, so I can focus directly on building the level geometry itself without bothering with scuba diving through scripts and worrying about the common pitfalls of normal game design. In addition, Christmas break is in a week which will give me ample time to continue construction. If all goes well, I should be done with buildings and landmarks by Christmas; this will leave me to focus on the trees, rocks and other environmental points of interest. Speaking of which, I could use some external help with one thing: if possible, could someone either collect all the tree models in the game together or provide screenshots of them? That would be a huge assistance in making the map more authentic.
MysteriousGray
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by MysteriousGray »

Well, I started work on the Lab today. My shitty wireless mouse died on me before I could get very far, so here is a completed building and two facades to show for about four hours of work.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (454.29 KiB) Viewed 17106 times
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Very nice, man. A recreation in a strange, new dimension.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Looks very cool, almost exactly right. I just wish Minecraft didn't have the limitations of looking so blocky. :P Have you thought of perhaps importing textures directly from Trespasser to use in your map? I notice that the ground looks a little bit off color-wise and doing that could add the extra level of accuracy since you've already got it to look so close.

I haven't played Minecraft myself, but is it possible to perhaps make triggers to spawn dinosaurs or unlock doors so that it is possible to play through the map as if you are playing the original game? Even if not, I'll definitely be installing the game and checking this out once it's released - wandering around all of Isla Sorna is something that I don't think is reasonable for Trespasser, so it's great to see it done in an engine that can support it. :)

I'm also interested in seeing what your take on Plantation House - the missing level between Jungle Road and Industrial Jungle, levels 2 and 3 - is. Did you use the recently released map we have here on Trescom, or did you come up with your own version?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

This looks really nice! Keep up the work! :D
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MysteriousGray
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by MysteriousGray »

TheIdiot wrote:Looks very cool, almost exactly right. I just wish Minecraft didn't have the limitations of looking so blocky. :P Have you thought of perhaps importing textures directly from Trespasser to use in your map? I notice that the ground looks a little bit off color-wise and doing that could add the extra level of accuracy since you've already got it to look so close.

I haven't played Minecraft myself, but is it possible to perhaps make triggers to spawn dinosaurs or unlock doors so that it is possible to play through the map as if you are playing the original game? Even if not, I'll definitely be installing the game and checking this out once it's released - wandering around all of Isla Sorna is something that I don't think is reasonable for Trespasser, so it's great to see it done in an engine that can support it. :)

I'm also interested in seeing what your take on Plantation House - the missing level between Jungle Road and Industrial Jungle, levels 2 and 3 - is. Did you use the recently released map we have here on Trescom, or did you come up with your own version?
Well, since this is mainly a recreation based on the final game plus the cut Pine Valley level, I'm gonna try to replicate the Plantation House area as seen in the final game, as shrunken and desolate an area as it is. I AM, however, planning on making a second map rather akin to your Trespasser Reborn level, which places a bunch of Trespasser's level ideas into a more movie-accurate setting, so I'll be able to take some liberties and (hopefully) make something really unique out of it.

And as for dinosaurs and doors, there's a Minecraft mod called JurassiCraft that makes Minecraft versions of dinosaurs. I don't know if spawning them on command is possible, but they can be placed in the level and act in about the same way they do in Trespasser, only without the -broken- hilarious physics interactions. Certain doors (specifically iron doors) can be "locked" using a complex wiring system the game refers to as redstone, but it's a complicated and messy process so I mostly removed doors from buildings altogether. That, and none of the doors in the texture pack looked especially fitting for the setting.
MysteriousGray
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by MysteriousGray »

Well, almost forgot about this project. Anyways, after a LENGTHY hiatus I finally came back around and finished the Lab. Next it'll be on to the Mayan Ruins before swinging south to the Monorail, Plantation House and finally the Foundations. Then I can adjust some terrain issues to make the place look more like the game before I start assembling trees.
Attachments
The Lab
The Lab
2017-01-14_17.23.07.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 15232 times
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looks interesting..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Really like the Lab buildings, they look perfect! Though it seems the scale of the surrounding hills is definitely a bit off. :?
MysteriousGray
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by MysteriousGray »

TheIdiot wrote:Really like the Lab buildings, they look perfect! Though it seems the scale of the surrounding hills is definitely a bit off. :?
Yep. I'll have to fix that later. It's because Minecraft's build height is smaller than the max height of Trespasser, so when I loaded the island heightmap it squashed down the terrain and flattened it out. I'll definitely make certain areas closer to their real height, but other areas will be flattened down and smoothed out to make the island more seamless. Right now I gotta focus on finishing the Mayan Ruins so I can head to the beach to start the Monorail.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

I noticed you didn't have any barrels, hope these designs help. Sorry for the poor quality.
Attachments
_20170308_114208.JPG
_20170308_114208.JPG (8.71 KiB) Viewed 15077 times
_20170308_103147.JPG
_20170308_103147.JPG (2.25 KiB) Viewed 15077 times
TrespassingWiccan
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by TrespassingWiccan »

I've just found this forum and thread and I think this looks great, well done! I myself have recreated big landscapes/maps in Minecraft and I know it's a task so mad respect~

I noticed the last post here was from 2017, is this still being worked on or is it abandoned?