Chains!!!

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Chains!!!

Post by Shep »

I suggest that there be small links of chains and colored to look like a curtain and move around.
it will work. :lol:
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shep wrote:I suggest that there be small links of chains and colored to look like a curtain and move around.
Hmm. Well...maybe it you made 3 or more different rectangular planes as segments of the curtain and linked them together with invisible chains as part of their compound physics, that COULD just work. But there might be holes visible between the segments unless they're perfectly aligned with each other.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Go for window blinds instead of curtains. Those will certainly work.

Another thing that should work nicely is this type of window:
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
What do you call them? Around here, we call them "vitroven"...

EDIT: Oh, I see, "jalousie windows"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalousie_window
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
Shep wrote:I suggest that there be small links of chains and colored to look like a curtain and move around.
Hmm. Well...maybe it you made 3 or more different rectangular planes as segments of the curtain and linked them together with invisible chains as part of their compound physics, that COULD just work. But there might be holes visible between the segments unless they're perfectly aligned with each other.
Mmm no I and not following you. Invisible chains? Part of the physics?
My point was in noting that, AFAIK, linked object sets can use multiple magnets and still be Moveable as long as none of the magnets are using a *Free/*TFree value.

Will note the "Pfoldscreen" objs in IT beta. They seem to have been intended to be a multi-object set linked with axis-free magnets. The axis-free part won't work but they are a sort of thing one could link with magnets and move around as a whole / break free from each other.

machf, how were you intending that window blinds should work in Tres?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote: machf, how were you intending that window blinds should work in Tres?
By rotating in place only...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Mmm no I and not following you. Invisible chains? Part of the physics?
What I had in mind was that you have the regular physics of the object, but also attach a little invisible "hook" shaped like a chain made out of $ objects to the point where you want to link on the other object. Make sure the other object has the second half of the hook attached via $ objects and you would form a sort of hinge.
Will note the "Pfoldscreen" objs in IT beta. They seem to have been intended to be a multi-object set linked with axis-free magnets. The axis-free part won't work but they are a sort of thing one could link with magnets and move around as a whole / break free from each other.
Hmm. Didn't even think of that, but it makes sense. That could be a good application of the chain physics I mentioned above...make little invisible hinges for each segment. Or you could even use this to make a real hinge if you wanted as part of the model. :)
machf wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote: machf, how were you intending that window blinds should work in Tres?
That would actually be a pretty neat little effect, but you'd probably have to be very specific when sizing the $ objects or they'd end up colliding and going haywire.
By rotating in place only...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Mmmm physics submodel chain-shaped hooks... Interesting but I imagine it would be pretty clunky :?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Mmmm physics submodel chain-shaped hooks... Interesting but I imagine it would be pretty clunky :?
It's always worth a try. Seems kind of unnecessary in most situations though as you would just use normal magnets for such a thing. But it could work effectively to make several attached objects able to be picked up and moved.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Weeelllll... Decided to give this idea a shot:

It uh... Well it's interesting :P Sort of.. works for a moment lol. 'Nyways here are the models for anyone who wishes to see this in person or work with them:

https://app.box.com/s/lyvlj51nzrowhdds2gg0e7db3h7ufrs9
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hmm. Strange what happened there, they like folded in on each other...so why do the chains on their own work fine, but it doesn't work at all when there are more to the objects?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well, with for example the farthest-right one... A small circle of 4 boxes is very different from the same 4 box-circle if there's a massive board clinging to one side. Its like asking why a hanger would move around differently when draped with a pair of pants. :P