Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

I need ding dang texture help!

Post by Shep »

Screenshot (46).png
Screenshot (46).png (918.5 KiB) Viewed 10499 times
Screenshot (45).png
Screenshot (45).png (351.25 KiB) Viewed 10499 times

So I got a pre made level with nothing but a few buildings and stuff and I added new stuff to that map before and the terrain worked fine but now when I did it this time that happened...

Everything from the unedtied version is there including that brown dirt road but the really brown dirt road and other new textures are doing the thing in the second picture
Last edited by Shep on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: I need ding dang texture help!

Post by TheIdiot »

That would be a palette issue. You have to make sure all of the terrain textures are using the same 256-color palette as the first terrain object you added. :)
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

umm... How you do that? :oops:
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shep wrote:umm... How you do that? :oops:
1. Open the texture file of the first terrain object in an editing program (I use GIMP).
2. Open the texture file of the bugged terrain object.
3. Copy+paste the texture of the bugged terrain into the other image.
4. This should cause the colors to match up with the 256 colors in the first image.
5. Save as a "indexed 256 color" .bmp, overriding the file you want to update. If you're using gimp, you have to open the "advanced settings" menu in the save dialogue and select the "color space information" option.
And that's it! :D

Now, sometimes you'll find that upon pasting the texture the colors get all messed up - this is because the 256-color image you have pasted into doesn't use the same set of colors, so sometimes you will have to find a texture with a palette that uses the colors you want to use and paste your first terrain texture into this to use as the main palette texture. If you REALLY can't find one that fits all of your colors, you'll have to make a custom palette which is pretty easy but is probably better explained by someone else.

I know, it sucks... :sick:
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

I think You got me wrong, the terrain is fine and isn't bugging out but when I play the game it is messed up. So I can not export it and get the bad one.

Edit: maybe you are correct... i'll try.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shep wrote:I think You got me wrong, the terrain is fine and isn't bugging out but when I play the game it is messed up. So I can not export it and get the bad one.

Edit: maybe you are correct... i'll try.
TresEd doesn't render the errors at all, it's only in Trespasser. Used to get this problem when I first started modding Tres too and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. :wink:
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

I just deleted all of them and then got the dirt road and others from be and loaded them and then it still happened

:x

Edit: can someone view this file and see if they can add textures successfully? https://www.mediafire.com/?gy6r69a10qchsn0
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shep wrote:I just deleted all of them and then got the dirt road and others from be and loaded them and then it still happened
Took a look at it and your problem is that you still have the terrain objects in the level, and they are the ones being used for the base palette. I'd suggest deleting all TrnObjs, save, and then import the Beach ones (or whatever textures you want to use).
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

I think I have a bigger problem, I made anew level for testing and imported the default stuff from when you make a level and the terrain wasn;t showing up.

Edit: actually I imported the beach stuff also but now the beach stuff is working and the normal terrain ain't. Kill me.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

What do you mean, the terrain isn't showing up? Like there's no ground at all or the textures are screwed up again?
Edit: actually I imported the beach stuff also but now the beach stuff is working and the normal terrain ain't. Kill me.
Right, because the palettes don't match. Try deleting the normal terrain and you'll be golden. :wink:
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Oh sorry, I meant it would just show this fuzzy thing again. but right now I don't need any more help.
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Another way to accomplish the palette solution...
Trespasser Twilight contains a program called Wally. Export your terrain objects... Take one of the textures into Wally, then go to "Color > Save Palette...". This will allow you to save the texture's 256-color palette as a .PAL file. Now, ultimately you'll need to know what .PAL file covers the colors you want in the terrain textures for your level... Regardless, you will be able to make all the textures work by loading the same .PAL file with "Color > Load Palette..." into the texture and then saving. :)
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

Thanks, i'll try these later. Right now it is hot, i'm in the Florida heat, and i'm at the second floor. (Where all the heat goes to)

Also imma try just finishing my level for now. Any was to import a .3ds operation genesis models or just directly from the file formats to trespasser?
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

In my experience, JPOG models are taken out in TMD format, put into 3ds Max, and exported as TPM. I could handle that part for you if you can't use Max (within reason, of course).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shep wrote:Also imma try just finishing my level for now. Any was to import a .3ds operation genesis models or just directly from the file formats to trespasser?
There are already many dinosaurs ported to Tres from JPOG, you can find those here (in Draco's signature, "Tres File Box"):
https://app.box.com/shared/cpshg3a80o/1/33999210

But if you want the regular models for buildings, plants etc, that will require a fresh export from Max. :)