Trespasser: Isla Sorna (PLSUM Preview 1)

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Deadeyeguy_45
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Trespasser: Isla Sorna (BEPH1 Released!)

Post by Deadeyeguy_45 »

Rebel wrote: There's no end to this, correct? I could always sneak a peek in TresEd, but I don't like to cheat a level as I only explore
it later on when I'm convinced I've seen all that I could.
There's a sort of end, where the game tries to load the industrial jungle as sort of continuation past the start of the PH level. Though it bugs out if you don't have that level file. Leaving you with a small blip of a loading screen and the ability to wander out of bounds.
In 2012, I was abused by a Weird Al lookalike. :nerd: :cry:
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Deadeyeguy_45 wrote:
Rebel wrote: There's no end to this, correct? I could always sneak a peek in TresEd, but I don't like to cheat a level as I only explore
it later on when I'm convinced I've seen all that I could.
There's a sort of end, where the game tries to load the industrial jungle as sort of continuation past the start of the PH level. Though it bugs out if you don't have that level file. Leaving you with a small blip of a loading screen and the ability to wander out of bounds.
Yeah, the level end trigger tries to load IJ. It is location after the rock jumping in PH1!
I played this for a while yesterday, I imagine this was what the original devs had in mind at the start, but they were never
quite able to get there. I have to admit, I sort of got lost a little. You have the original layout burned into your memory,
so in a way it was somewhat playing it for the first time. It was a refreshing jaunt.
Glad it felt like that! And I understand getting lost in JR, it is massive. Earlier terrain was a bit bigger. Hopefully in future updates it will have some more interesting things to find. :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
tatu

Post by tatu »

My current ETA of the next release is at the end of this month. However, I have switched a bit of focus and I am working on getting BE-IT to work. I hope that will be the next release.
I have finally gone over all foliage in PH2-IT and I am pretty confident I have fixed most if not all clipping foliage!

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
AKatt17
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by AKatt17 »

tatu wrote:My current ETA of the next release is at the end of this month. However, I have switched a bit of focus and I am working on getting BE-IT to work. I hope that will be the next release.
I have finally gone over all foliage in PH2-IT and I am pretty confident I have fixed most if not all clipping foliage!
Thank you for an update! Looking forward to it for sure. I have so many questions but for now I am really curious as to what you are going to do with that giant open area in PH (Right where BE-PH1 ended) and how you are going to implement the lake/swamp/blighted forest with the original canyon for IJ.

Literally chomping at the bit .
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

AKatt17 wrote:and how you are going to implement the lake/swamp/blighted forest with the original canyon for IJ.
We do still have plans for that, but at the moment tatu is currently just focusing on getting the standard combined retail/beta levels done. We're hoping to get all of the beta stuff into the two-level release, which would be BE-IT and then PL-SUM.

On that note, tatu and I were just discussing a pretty interesting discovery we've made regarding one of the early levels that will definitely help with our recreation. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:On that note, tatu and I were just discussing a pretty interesting discovery we've made regarding one of the early levels that will definitely help with our recreation. :wink:
Oh?...

Also.. Are there perhaps extra dinos around who might find a home in the emptier areas of PH? Thinking about it now, I'm not sure if it needs new dinos or not. At least, the AI to experience in PH has never been that great. Maybe that part could be improved, taking behavior from dinos in other areas.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:On that note, tatu and I were just discussing a pretty interesting discovery we've made regarding one of the early levels that will definitely help with our recreation. :wink:
Oh?...

Also.. Are there perhaps extra dinos around who might find a home in the emptier areas of PH? Thinking about it now, I'm not sure if it needs new dinos or not. At least, the AI to experience in PH has never been that great. Maybe that part could be improved, taking behavior from dinos in other areas.
It is not that ;)

AKatt17
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by AKatt17 »

tatu wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:
Oh?...

It is not that ;)
The suspense is killing me! I have so many ideas of what you guys could come up with like the landslide area in PH- is it going to show the town just out of reach? Are you going to keep the green TRex and use it as the first interaction with a large predator and how will that affect IJ? Could we see dinosaurs like Gallimus, Dilophosaurus or Compy's that were introduced in the old OG TresCom Isle levels? I know that whatever you have for us will be amazing, I'm just trying to not annoy the crap out of anyone while I wait all giddy-like! =)
tatu

Post by tatu »

AKatt17 wrote:The suspense is killing me! I have so many ideas of what you guys could come up with like the landslide area in PH- is it going to show the town just out of reach? Are you going to keep the green TRex and use it as the first interaction with a large predator and how will that affect IJ? Could we see dinosaurs like Gallimus, Dilophosaurus or Compy's that were introduced in the old OG TresCom Isle levels? I know that whatever you have for us will be amazing, I'm just trying to not annoy the crap out of anyone while I wait all giddy-like! =)
For the moment, it will mainly be a port of the levels into one big one without major changes. Things like AI changes and additional of other species is part of the future plan of the mod, and not for the initial release. In a future update to the project stuff like weapons and dinosaurs will get an overhaul in their position etc.
As for the PH landslide, it is not possible to see the town from it without heavily modifying the terrain.

And I am happy to answer questions, feel free to ask them. I don't find it annoying and I am just glad someone is really looking forward to this. I am working on it every day and it is a bit more work than I thought at first (probably cause I keep adding tasks LOL). But I am off next week from work and plan on spending most of that time getting as much done as possible.

I did manage to get BE-IT running in one massive level. However, there is an issue when the PID is getting over 1mb that cause it to crash during loading. There is one workaround, which is to use the CE HD feature, and have textures missing in the PID and SWP so the PID does not go over 1MB. What I am currently doing is trying to optimize some objects (just did the foliage LODs that saved me around 100kb which is a lot) to get below the 1MB. BEIT's PID is currently at 1172kb (without above optimization). This added some more time to the next release but I'd rather want to get BEIT working than PH2IT on its own.
Of course I have not played the level through yet so crashes are unknown. But it is a huge achievement for me to be able to have BE->IT in one massive level (all objects, triggers, TrnObj etc included). :)

tatu

Post by tatu »

I said I hoped to have this done by the end of this July, but I am gonna delay any release for now. I still experiment with BEIT which I do believe will still work but I need to slow down with this and not try to rush it. Yesterday I even had a time when it loaded but then loading it again made it crash on loading.
I am off the next week so hopefully at least I have something running by then behind-the-scenes. :)

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well that's cool. Maybe this way something additional is included.
Double_G
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Double_G »

Nice! I'm looking forward to playing it
AKatt17
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by AKatt17 »

tatu wrote:I said I hoped to have this done by the end of this July, but I am gonna delay any release for now. I still experiment with BEIT which I do believe will still work but I need to slow down with this and not try to rush it. Yesterday I even had a time when it loaded but then loading it again made it crash on loading.
I am off the next week so hopefully at least I have something running by then behind-the-scenes. :)
Looking forward to seeing it regardless of when you finish it! Do you have any maps or layouts of the island that you can share? I am really looking forward to seeing how the island fits together.

I admit I trekked quite far once I got through the PH1 trying to get an idea of what the layout of the next section would be. I attempted to climb Mountain at the end of JR, the only other area that I was able to exit the level was the area behind the first Brachiosaur encounter- otherwise your layout feels much more thought out and complete than the retail version.
tatu

Post by tatu »

AKatt17 wrote:Looking forward to seeing it regardless of when you finish it! Do you have any maps or layouts of the island that you can share? I am really looking forward to seeing how the island fits together.

I admit I trekked quite far once I got through the PH1 trying to get an idea of what the layout of the next section would be. I attempted to climb Mountain at the end of JR, the only other area that I was able to exit the level was the area behind the first Brachiosaur encounter- otherwise your layout feels much more thought out and complete than the retail version.
Actually, the whole island is already present in the first release. Keep in mind that any area from Pine Valley and Summit is not optimized yet. You can view it either in TresEd or use the fly cheat in CE to take a look. :)
The layout of the island is a simple combination of the various versions of the levels we have, as well as the bumpmap (hightmap) that can be found on the island table in Hammond's house in Build 96. No area is really completely made up by TI or me. :)

tatu

Post by tatu »

Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
This image might not show anything new, but this is the first image taken from BEIT being fully loadable in Trespasser. This includes everything from BEPH1, as well as the work done to PH2 to IT which includes triggers, foliage, objects, trnobj etc.
As you might notice, the ground texture is missing in the image. For some reason the level crash on loading when they are imported and I have yet to take a closer look why.
I have yet to taken that time to give it a first playthrough to see how stable it is, but I am very very happy that I finally manage to get this to load! :D