Trespasser: Legacy (Part I RELEASED! pg 8)

Nem's mega-level trilogy.

Moderators: scallenger, JPDS Team

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
Machf wrote:Well, I've been playing it this afternoon, and I'm liking it. A lot. There was this time I thought "WTF? This takes place on Yavin 4?" (you can guess where I was approaching).
Star Wars geek. :P
Well, I watched that 30 years ago in the cinema and still remember it... I've always been better at remembering things I saw on the cinema that ones I've watched on TV.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

True, true. Lol I'm 19, knew about Yavin 4 from the roll playing game I played in 4th or 5th grade. (I also own the SW Encyclopedia) Cool, scary place.. lots of ruins.. right up my alley. 8) Heh if anyone ever decided to make a full Star Wars mod for Trespasser, that would be the planet to set it on......
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

machf wrote:Well, I've been playing it this afternoon, and I'm liking it. A lot. There was this time I thought "WTF? This takes place on Yavin 4?" (you can guess where I was approaching).
What and where?
machf wrote:One thing: the crane puzzle took me several tries until I got it right, you may want to allow an alternative by removing that invisible object from up there (or teleport it elsewhere after you've tried the other way).
I didn't find that puzzle to hard, as soon as I saw the crane and Anne (or whatever her name is in this series) saying that it still works, I hopped on and pulled the switch.
machf wrote:And for some reason, the level just crashed after I had saved my progress, no idea what caused it (earlier crashes at the beginning were happening before I lowered the screen resolution and draw distance, but this one must be physics- or particle-related). I'll try to reload it and see what happens... (not telling where I am to avoid spoiling it for others)
I agree, it crashes to much, you might have forgotten to squash a bit to many bugs, Nem. :P
Draconisaurus wrote:I was one of the testers for the level and also helped it become a reality by doing a number of things including moving it from an IJ mod into a fresh level, lol, so Nem has heard all my comments. I think the idea and scope of the level is enough to rival TC_Isle, frequent crashes aside. :P It takes a lot of time and patience to make an entire level into a maze like that, and it's totally worth it. So often, you can wander straight through a level and ignore everything the creator has set up, or else if you choose to explore, other parts of the level are not that hard to find. This level really keeps you wondering where exactly you're going, if it's your first time through (or sometimes the second and third and forth :P). I'm not sure how many of the old scripted events have survived, but I rather liked the surprise raptors wherever they were present, and environmental design everywhere obviously had close attention paid to it. Knowing all the things you have learned from this experience, I can't wait to see what you come up with for TL2! :D
I don't know if making the level a maze was such a good idea, because like you sayed, you kind of never know where you are going, good thing there's alot of raptors to keep you entertained. :P
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Nick3069 wrote:
machf wrote:Well, I've been playing it this afternoon, and I'm liking it. A lot. There was this time I thought "WTF? This takes place on Yavin 4?" (you can guess where I was approaching).
What and where?
You'll know once you arrive there... (if you haven't already)
machf wrote:One thing: the crane puzzle took me several tries until I got it right, you may want to allow an alternative by removing that invisible object from up there (or teleport it elsewhere after you've tried the other way).
I didn't find that puzzle to hard, as soon as I saw the crane and Anne (or whatever her name is in this series) saying that it still works, I hopped on and pulled the switch.
That's not the problem, the problem was that the results of that action weren't exactly as hoped until after several tries...
machf wrote:And for some reason, the level just crashed after I had saved my progress, no idea what caused it (earlier crashes at the beginning were happening before I lowered the screen resolution and draw distance, but this one must be physics- or particle-related). I'll try to reload it and see what happens... (not telling where I am to avoid spoiling it for others)
I agree, it crashes to much, you might have forgotten to squash a bit to many bugs, Nem. :P
I think there may be too many cloud/fog objects around, they also make the picture flash a lot.
Draconisaurus wrote:I was one of the testers for the level and also helped it become a reality by doing a number of things including moving it from an IJ mod into a fresh level, lol, so Nem has heard all my comments. I think the idea and scope of the level is enough to rival TC_Isle, frequent crashes aside. :P It takes a lot of time and patience to make an entire level into a maze like that, and it's totally worth it. So often, you can wander straight through a level and ignore everything the creator has set up, or else if you choose to explore, other parts of the level are not that hard to find. This level really keeps you wondering where exactly you're going, if it's your first time through (or sometimes the second and third and forth :P). I'm not sure how many of the old scripted events have survived, but I rather liked the surprise raptors wherever they were present, and environmental design everywhere obviously had close attention paid to it. Knowing all the things you have learned from this experience, I can't wait to see what you come up with for TL2! :D
I don't know if making the level a maze was such a good idea, because like you sayed, you kind of never know where you are going, good thing there's alot of raptors to keep you entertained. :P
Yes, I noticed it's designed as a big maze, basically. That's not bad, though Trespasser levels usually allow more freedom... but making it maze-like (compartmentalizing) allows a more extense level in a smaller area (though. this one isn't particularly small).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Lol, if you don't like being lost in levels, that's your own fault! It's just as fun as being lost outdoors in the real world! :D (well usually that's better if you've got a good friend with you at the time heheh but still.)
machf wrote:
That's not the problem, the problem was that the results of that action weren't exactly as hoped until after several tries...
Heh, thing is, that worked perfectly for me every time except the final test I did on it, but I don't think it was really set up any differently then. If that fails, you can actually climb up the back of the crane, if you're good enough. ;)
machf wrote:
I think there may be too many cloud/fog objects around, they also make the picture flash a lot.
Heh, we spent MANY days "squashing bugs" - note that the level never, ever crashed for Nem. His computer is pretty good but not super-good, heh. I figure if I had another 512 MB of RAM, I would have had few if any crashes. All level crashes are render-related, if you hadn't figured it out yet. Some people will have more crashes than others, we spent hours and hours taking out as many as we could, including taking out a ton of raptors. As long as you can possibly play the level from beginning to end, we're happy with this one. :P Those 24-bit cloud objects were added late in production, I think they may have caused some of the crashing, but there was plenty of crashing before they were introduced. And yes, they did cause considerable opacity-map flashing, because you were often looking through them at over 2 or 3 different opacity maps, which Tres doesn't handle that well.
Microceratops
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Microceratops »

Great level!! I like it very much!!! Congratulations!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: But I have a problem when I reach here:

The problem is that I cannot enter there... Any help?

Thanks!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Look around the ENTIRE compound, high and low, for objects you can use, and try hitting either of the doors with it. ;)
chronzerg
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by chronzerg »

The loading bar freezes before ever reaching the end. Bummer for me. :oops:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... do you have enough free space on your Trespasser folder for the .swp file?

Oh, wait... now I remember I also thought it had frozen, but no, it just takes really long to complete that last bit of the loading process. Just keep waiting...
Nem
-=TresCom Administrator=-
-=TresCom Administrator=-

Post by Nem »

chronzerg wrote:The loading bar freezes before ever reaching the end. Bummer for me. :oops:
Give it time. Loading may seem like it's frozen at the end, but it will load.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Damn, it keeps crashing even after I turned the draw distance all the way down... I can't finish it.

UPDATE: well, I removed all the cloud objects and the level crashes a lot less (and looks better without all that constant flashing).

Now I have just one question: do I just need to jump down at one place? Can't seem to find any pther way to progress further...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:Damn, it keeps crashing even after I turned the draw distance all the way down... I can't finish it.

UPDATE: well, I removed all the cloud objects and the level crashes a lot less (and looks better without all that constant flashing).

Now I have just one question: do I just need to jump down at one place? Can't seem to find any pther way to progress further...
Hmmm jump down? Have you gotten to the compound yet or are you still in the first maze zone? If you're talking about the first cliff, you need to find something along there that you can climb easily down...

Heh, thanks for telling us how removal of the clouds helped. We really liked the new atmosphere they gave to the level, which is I guess why Nem kept it in. Make it more mysterious. Oh well...
Kacy
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Kacy »

Legacy! Is there a tyrannosaur in this level? How could I miss this for so long...

I'm going in! :wink:
Dr. Grant
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Dr. Grant »

That can be a stupid question, but how do I make the level work? Does it require to make a full instalation, or a harddrive installation?
Tour Vehicle! XD

Image Image

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Dr. Grant wrote:That can be a stupid question, but how do I make the level work? Does it require to make a full instalation, or a harddrive installation?
Um, what's the difference? :P You need to install the game to play it, and you need to copy the CD contents onto your HD first to play new levels. :) I think ATX would be a good idea, too, but I don't think TL1 requires it explicitly.