Canned Levels + release

Creating new content for Trespasser!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Canned Levels + release

Post by gooplieslime »

So while I was having my time doing some Trespasser modding, I have attempted to do a few levels that I wanna release, but they ultimately ended up being canned.

The first level I was creating was " Deinonychus Canyon " or " Valley ". The level would first start going down to a canyon that was a home to a large Deinonychus nest, as the player goes through and defends themselves from Deinonychuses. They would later ascend up to a jungle which was a bit linear. There would be a small open plain with some herbivores and a few carnivores. There was a supposed to be an abandoned facility but it was canned before I done that-
level download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/js6726z3 ... n.rar/file

Second level was the " Suchomimus Swamplands " I don't know if thats the exact name, so the player would be traveling through swamplands that had the dinosaur in the title be the main enemy... Nothing really special aside from an Alpha Suchomimus in the level..
level download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/vj9li6df ... p.zip/file

Unamed level #1
This level is a uh.... another jungle level. You start at a rocky area and climb up and explore the area. This level has a dinosaur spawn trigger that is broken that causes the game to crash if I can recall. Its supposed to be an open non-linear level with area's you can explore. Theres a few JPDS Dinos that are used in this level
https://www.mediafire.com/file/aiel4rur ... l.zip/file

Unamed level #2
This level is level is a redwoods level which like Unamed level#1 is an open non-linear level. Theres a part of the level that makes the game crash that I suggest to look in TresEd. Is the large raptor area which has too many Raptor CAnimals in it, Which causes the game to crash.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/es5l4lez ... s.zip/file

I still have one level I havent canned and still being worked on is the " Undergrowth " Its the most recent level I made, Its a simple jungle themed level, I think this is done multiple times. The level has a new terrain for it to work with but its in a placeholder state mainly due it have some retail trespasser assets being used and I wanna get rid of those in the level along with some placeholder dinos, like Cory, Dryo and Homalocephale. Hope I do well with this level and make it my first level to be released from me.
Last edited by gooplieslime on Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
Gathering new friends or allies.
Reaching out for the marvelous world out there
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Re: Canned Levels.

Post by Rebel »

Hope so. We could use a few new levels since this is a new year. And trust me, everyone has had failures, it's part of the learning process.
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

Yeah, I see Trescom is pretty empty on any new mods or levels as of right now, only a few mods or levels I know that is in development is your Castaway level, TI's Cloning Facility level and the Isla Sorna project. I'm trying to make a good first impression with the Undergrowth level. Currently thinking of some ideas and stuff for my Undergrowth level like the environment and starting location and Dinosaurs.
Profile done by Mortis.

Slime from another planet, reaching out to other communities and such. Obtaining new materials for his species.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Don't give up. A lot of us have canned levels, and the majority of levels in the download section are levels that has been "abandoned", and never properly finished. Even more as you learn how to mod. Nevertheless, don't think it is not worth sharing as it is great to see people's progress, as well as a good way for people to review and suggest improvements etc :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

I think I may actually release the canned levels, the Deinonychus Canyon level has 1 new dinosaur being Leptoceratops and a new Tyrannosaurus rex model. Suchomimus Lagoon has a new model for Suchomimus and an Alpha version of it. The lagoon is at a different computer which I will release it friday afternoon. Thanks Tatu!
Profile done by Mortis.

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

tatu is right regarding canned levels. Even if you don't plan on finishing them, there's nothing wrong with releasing them for others to take a look at or be inspired by. I thoroughly enjoy looking at every level I can get my hands on, even if it has to be in TresEd, as you never know what cool ideas someone might have come up with. Especially if your level contains new assets, like dinosaur models and such. I'm particularily interested in your leptoceratops as I've been looking to see one for the longest time, being my favourite ceratopsian.
And my entire Trespasser modding career consists of nothing but releasing unfinished levels - I have an entire topic full of them. RTJP took like 8 or 9 years of my life and despite having three totally different unfinished releases never even saw one level completed. :P
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Canned Levels + release

Post by gooplieslime »

Heres the unfinished Deinonychus Canyon level, It contains a new model for the Tyrannosaurus Rex and a new dinosaur being Leptoceratops. I tried to make the Leptoceratops have the jaw rig but its the rigging its a bit iffy. I suggest editing the rig a bit since its a bit rushed.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/js6726z3 ... n.rar/file
TheIdiot wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:42 pm tatu is right regarding canned levels. Even if you don't plan on finishing them, there's nothing wrong with releasing them for others to take a look at or be inspired by. I thoroughly enjoy looking at every level I can get my hands on, even if it has to be in TresEd, as you never know what cool ideas someone might have come up with. Especially if your level contains new assets, like dinosaur models and such. I'm particularily interested in your leptoceratops as I've been looking to see one for the longest time, being my favourite ceratopsian.
And my entire Trespasser modding career consists of nothing but releasing unfinished levels - I have an entire topic full of them. RTJP took like 8 or 9 years of my life and despite having three totally different unfinished releases never even saw one level completed. :P
Yeah, thanks TI. The Leptoceratops used the design from the PS1 TLW game along with the games textures for it. It has minor rigging errors if I can recall.
Profile done by Mortis.

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just checked it out, quite a good start for one of your first levels! That leptoceratops is exactly the one I think of when I picture that dinosaur, from the TLW game, so I'm really happy to see him used in a level! And I like the use of that game's colour schemes on the deinonychus as well - I will be sure to export that, I might be able to use it as a basis for my own skins as that pattern is really fantastic. The new Rex is also interesting, did you make that mesh yourself or is it a modified version of the Trespasser Rex?
One thing I want to note is that Trespasser has a limit to how many CAnimals can be active at once; this is 6 normally, and using CE you can increase the limit to 7 safely (you can bump it up to 8 or 9 but things can start to get a bit weird with the physics when you start going that high). For that reason I would recommend in a similar level to this one that you use less dinosaurs in one place, or have them teleport in as needed once the previous ones have died using triggers. :)

And just a reminder to "Edit" your posts instead of making new ones using the button in the top-right if you would be posting twice in a row within 24-hours. I have combined your posts for you. :)
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

TheIdiot wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:10 pm Just checked it out, quite a good start for one of your first levels! That leptoceratops is exactly the one I think of when I picture that dinosaur, from the TLW game, so I'm really happy to see him used in a level! And I like the use of that game's colour schemes on the deinonychus as well - I will be sure to export that, I might be able to use it as a basis for my own skins as that pattern is really fantastic. The new Rex is also interesting, did you make that mesh yourself or is it a modified version of the Trespasser Rex?
One thing I want to note is that Trespasser has a limit to how many CAnimals can be active at once; this is 6 normally, and using CE you can increase the limit to 7 safely (you can bump it up to 8 or 9 but things can start to get a bit weird with the physics when you start going that high). For that reason I would recommend in a similar level to this one that you use less dinosaurs in one place, or have them teleport in as needed once the previous ones have died using triggers. :)

And just a reminder to "Edit" your posts instead of making new ones using the button in the top-right if you would be posting twice in a row within 24-hours. I have combined your posts for you. :)
The mesh is an original Rex model I made from blender, I used the Trespasser textures for it since I didn't have any other Tyrannosaurus rex textures that I can use. I also tried to make sure the level was filled to the brim with life but I think I did it a bit too much-
Profile done by Mortis.

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I will check this out, bub. ;)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I just noticed you released the suchomimus swamplands level as well. Make sure you're letting us know in your posts when you're adding something to the original post so we don't miss anything! :)

That suchomimus model is quite cool. With billboard teeth and more retail-esque it would actually fit nicely into the retail game. I'm glad you did a proper suchomimus model as up until this point I believe all the suchomimus models have just been edits of other dinosaurs.
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

Will remind people next time when I release sumthin. The Suchomimus model is from the Dinosaur King DS game. Didnt felt like giving it billboard teeth initially when I made it. I also forgot I made a JW Website Suchomimus CAnimal.
Profile done by Mortis.

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Canyon:
A large section of it is mostly complete, if a bit unpolished. but overall it is not bad, I've seen worst first level. There are too many dinosaurs resulting in some of them freezing and the ending is incomplete, but it has potential to be a good level. Leptoceratops is nice and new, but as mentioned earlier, it has minor rigging issues. I think it is the first level I've seen to use the Diplodocus. The new T. Rex is interesting, it feels like a weird cross between Trespasser's T. Rex and JPOG's T. Rex. Overall, pretty nice.

Swamp:
Very incomplete and small. The Dinosaur King Suchomimus and Suchomimus Alpha are a pleasant surprise. It's a nice start.

If these levels are an indication of what's to come then I look forward to Undergrowth.

On the topic of Dinosaur King, most of the dinosaur models from the DS game have been uploaded to The Models Resource:
https://www.models-resource.com/ds_dsi/dinosaurking/
The textures are only 64x64 though, so if anyone want to convert them to Trespasser, I'd recommend an AI upscaler like www.upscale.media to increase the details.
gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll make sure there isnt too many dinosaurs in my future levels. Since it will cause some of them to freeze and not function for a bit. Maybe have
up to 2 or 3 dinosaurs in a certain area or place, especially when having your dinosaur ally that I planned to be in the level defending you from other dinosaurs. I'll make sure there is no dinosaur that is basically frozen mainly because theres like too many neighbors it has nearby-
Profile done by Mortis.

gooplieslime
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by gooplieslime »

Just remembered I have a few more levels I canned, they dont have any specific names to them. I'll try to upload them in the afternoon, I remember they were supposed to non-linear and have open area's the player can explore. One has the redwoods ground textures which has a 1 texture error with a terrain object and lots of raptors in one place, yeah I was still new while making them. The other one had the basic trespasser jungle ground textures and uses a few JPDS Dinosaurs like the female trex from what I remember and a red dilophosaurus
Profile done by Mortis.