TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: TRESCOM_ANTHOLOGY
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:20 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Who here is capable of learning how the CE external scripting works? TI says he doesn't get it beyond the parts he was handed for RTJP, Slugger is busy, I probably wouldn't stand a chance...?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:55 pm 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Draconisaurus wrote:
Who here is capable of learning how the CE external scripting works? TI says he doesn't get it beyond the parts he was handed for RTJP, Slugger is busy, I probably wouldn't stand a chance...?

The documentation for CE is all over the place, it's a pain in the ass to follow. I personally haven't even thought about
looking into the external scripting. Are you certain that no one else hasn't delved into it already?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:09 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Pretty sure... Lee seems to have come in with a few assumptions about the Tres modding community, including that there would be a healthy supply of people adept at various forms of coding. This estimation is u hhh accurate for BigRed's day but really hasn't been TresCom's typical environment for some time :/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 am 
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Took a good look at the prequel level, looks impressive - and big :) I'm not as patient as I used-... actually I was never very patient.
So I'll play it with a walkthrough soon :) Was the level finished yet, or still a work in progress?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:29 pm 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Hilwo wrote:
Took a good look at the prequel level, looks impressive - and big :) I'm not as patient as I used-... actually I was never very patient.
So I'll play it with a walkthrough soon :) Was the level finished yet, or still a work in progress?

The level is in alpha stage, Hilwo, meaning all the main elements of the level are in place and it can be completed. What
remains are areas considered not intrinsic to the storyline or puzzling that are incomplete. Those areas will be tended to
with a beta. I don't anticipate that until the fall as I generally don't do level work during late spring, early summer time -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:48 pm 
T-Rex
T-Rex

As far as I can tell, the CE scripting format looks fairly similar to LUA. The problem is, I have no idea how to code (at least without breaking things), otherwise I'd try and give it a go. I understand what I'm looking at, I just don't know how I would go about changing or adding features. Perhaps it would help to look at some example scripts Lee left for us? There seem to be some in the "samples" folder which recreate normal ActionTypes. In any case, the scripting system seems exceptionally powerful. I just wish one of us knew how to work it, because there seem to be some really cool things that could be done with it. :?

Maybe it would be useful to try and contact Lee again and see if he can provide any insight into this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Hmmm. Call me strange: I like pushing Tres to do things, with the mechanics that were built into it by the date of release. This scripting thing sounds like it might be sort of omnipotent... Er yeah: I specifically LOVE Trespasser for the fact that it uses objects with brief script listings, inside the levels themselves, in order to make things happen, unlike other games where it's basically normal programming that resides entirely outside the level and could say just about anything. Don't like that. :statue:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:13 pm 
T-Rex
T-Rex

Draconisaurus wrote:
Hmmm. Call me strange: I like pushing Tres to do things, with the mechanics that were built into it by the date of release. This scripting thing sounds like it might be sort of omnipotent... Er yeah: I specifically LOVE Trespasser for the fact that it uses objects with brief script listings, inside the levels themselves, in order to make things happen, unlike other games where it's basically normal programming that resides entirely outside the level and could say just about anything. Don't like that. :statue:

I definitely agree with that...I find other games can be impossible to mod because it always comes down to having to understand coding, whereas Tres is extremely simple, almost as if it were intended to be easily modded by the developers. The thing I like about the CE scripting is that in order to make it work with objects in-game, you only have to add 1 line to the T-script. So someone else can handle the coding while we focus on what we know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:30 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Heheh. I guess the HUD part is not so bad, considering it deals with a menu-like add-on and Tres does that externally to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:20 am 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Just a note for anyone who has downloaded the beta version of the trilogy. There's an update to the prequel level, mainly
to make the railcar less deadly. A recent conversation which T.I. made me give it another look which subsequently led me
to make the alterations. Tatu verified my own experience, meaning it worked as intended -

Anyways, so long as all you do is look around while onboard, you should be fine. The update is attached to my signature.
Simply replace the level files -