Remaking Trespasser (Released) / Jp:Aftermath

Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Re: Remaking Trespasser

Post by Dragonlord »

Has the tone-mapper died of a heart attack or is the sky totally blue from one end to the other? Makes it looks like N64 not Cryengine :P
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by vagrantart »

Thinks its just the time of day I set it up to. Cryengines lighting/sky is a bit disappointing to be honest,its all blooms and harsh whites (i know it can be taken out).I prefer skybox skyies overall.Did get some nice night sky going though especially with the plane on fire in ocean but it felt like a bit of a rip of bioshock.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

I like the first shot, it looks really good.

The TOD is something that takes hours to get really used to. At first its information overload and it seams to be impossible to make sense of, but soon enough you'll be wanting more options.

I've learned that although it is possible to achieve very realistic and beautiful lighting, its often best to stick with a TOD that is slighty restrained, but looks good in ALL situations. While researching it, i read a lot of people question Crytek about why the TOD in Crysis was so simple and how so many people can make nicer ones. Yet these TOD's that people make are okay for screenshots, when used in combination with custom shaders and what not, but in general use they are just a bright bloomy mess. Some of them also need to be used with custom flowgraphs to control the eye adaption.

I loaded one of the original Crysis maps (rescue i think) and was straight away impressed with the completeness of the TOD and how it looks great even if it is slightly subdued. It inspired me to start again with my own TOD and im a lot happier with my current one which is a full 24 hour cycle. I spent so long messing with my last one, trying to get the midday lightling looking as good as possible, it turned into a one trick pony that was really only good for that one time of the day.

Anyway, just load up a standard Crysis map and check out the time of day. Tweak it a little and check the results and you'll get the hang of it pretty quick. Just remember to check the "force sky update" box, and also hit the record button when making changes, as they can be lost as soon as you move the time slider!

I think you'll learn to love CE the more you use it, its a beast.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

They should have better used HDRR with scaled real world lighting values and a good tone map operator and proper physically based rendering than trying to ad-hoc fix the problem (a yeah and not being so horribly slow). But that's a common problem with existing game engines. For artists they are hell... especially if the content changes over the course of a project. One reason I never liked CE to begin with. That said I never like SE or UE either for the same reasons. I hate solutions where I have to fine-tune for hours just to get all breaking down once you tweak some lighting in a scene or adding/removing something.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Spent a few hours today playing about in Cryengine again,thought I'd see what could come up with.There's a fair few faults in it for sure - missing rain clouds and a few textures,I upped the brightness as the video was too dark and some of the scales are pretty off between Unity and Cryengine.Mostly just getting a feel for the features of it,from particles to just finding stuff on the interface and little stuff like that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9PoC6L24ss[/youtube]
RantosaurusRex
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by RantosaurusRex »

Wow :o , it looks fantastic!
Trespasser's secrets must be revealed!

Lurk! Lurk! All day long! Lurk! Lurk!
JPController
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by JPController »

It holds a lot of potential. Keep it up. Now if only my computer could run dx11. I hate being behind on tech.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

Nice work!

I thought you were using CE2 for some reason.

Is the terrain bug still in CE3? To see it, just make a 4096 map and make a mountain thats 512-1024 metres tall and see if at some point the terrain starts to look like minecraft. You don't even need a map that big or altitudes that high, but that will be easier to find.

With vegetation and what not, just make sure you dont use anything from either Crysis 1 or 2 in the free CE3 SDK, as its not allowed.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

I think the bug might be there still yes,It looks like a step effect across the landscape?.I actually used the trespasser height map on a 4096 terrain,I ran the modify>smooth setting though to get rid of the steps (which probably took out some detail too) but it didn't look too bad.I changed my version of the map a little because I didn't think my placements would match the original anyway,I used just the basic stuff from the sdk for plants,threw in some of the props too.Never did actually finished any of the Crysis games.
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

The smooth terrain command will erode away a lot of your detail, try not to use it. Just make sure you're importing a 16bit hightmap and it will be fine.

The stepping issue stopped me from using the Free SDK, its a huge problem.

If the issue still exists in the Crysis3 Mod SDK, then i wont be porting the project over. The Crysis3 version of CE3 is way more advanced than the Free SDK. The new features, fixes and updates wont reach the Free SDK until well after Crysis 3 ships. It could be a long wait to see a fix for that terrain issue.

The only reason i imagine its there is either the devs never had very high altitudes in Crysis3, (it all cities) so all the terrain precision is down low. Or it might be a console restriction. Crysis / CE2 was a PC engine that was later ported for consoles. It doesn't have the issue at all. CE3 was designed with consoles in mind, so perhaps to allow for all the new features, they had to lower terrain precision or something. Who knows, its still a 16bit format, so perhaps they just stuffed up and its too hard to fix now?

Either way, im sure it limits the engines potential for large scale games.
JPController
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by JPController »

The Crysis3 version of CE3 is way more advanced than the Free SDK. The new features, fixes and updates wont reach the Free SDK until well after Crysis 3 ships. It could be a long wait to see a fix for that terrain issue.
That could be subject to change in March, remember GDC is coming in March and Crysis 3 ships so Crytek will probably be doing some new things with the CE3 sdk after they show what they've done in the course of 2 years since Crysis 2. Granted we've seen this already but you know Crytek, they don't settle for second place.

And console restrictions: Cevat Yerli has stated that the current generation of consoles are still one the restricting reasons for what the CE3 can do in terms of detail, plus, another reason why Crytek has been showing off CE3 since 2009 with the "Next Gen Ready" on their demos is because they know that the XBOX360 and the PS3 are going to be phased out sooner rather than later. Oh and they've been beating unreal for the past 3 years in terms of engine development

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/35 ... -4-crytek/
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Uh... fanboy attack (not you JPController, I mean the company brabbling heads). CryEngine can't do half of what UE can do with particles and tries to make a huge fuzz with broken screen-space algorithm XYZ. Not that UE is a lot better than CryEngine. It's just this behavior that started me long time ago making a game engine not prone to all this crap to begin with. Some of the comments in that article are point on right. The kind of childish "my tech-penis is larger than yours" is so yesterday it's just laughable. Especially seeing how the actual games coming out of the companies are so boring you ask yourself if tech-development is the only thing these companies can do nowadays. Looks like making fun games is soooooo yesterday for them ;)
JPController
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by JPController »

Dragonlord wrote:Uh... fanboy attack (not you JPController, I mean the company brabbling heads). CryEngine can't do half of what UE can do with particles and tries to make a huge fuzz with broken screen-space algorithm XYZ. Not that UE is a lot better than CryEngine. It's just this behavior that started me long time ago making a game engine not prone to all this crap to begin with. Some of the comments in that article are point on right. The kind of childish "my tech-penis is larger than yours" is so yesterday it's just laughable. Especially seeing how the actual games coming out of the companies are so boring you ask yourself if tech-development is the only thing these companies can do nowadays. Looks like making fun games is soooooo yesterday for them ;)

I am so glad I have never read them. Never innovate for innovations sake.
Oh and did you know that the U.S. Military is using CE3 for a simulator?
http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/27/us-army ... yengine-3/
Called the Dismounted Soldier Training System (DSTS) and in development from Intelligent Decisions, the simulator allows the Army to train using a videogame environment with real weather effects, squad-based interactions, and motion sensor tech.

What we’re trying to do with infantry squad-level training is suspension of disbelief, and the CryEngine 3 is the best video game technology on the market today,” said Floyd West, director of strategic programs, Orlando Division of Intelligent Decisions.

“With CryEngine 3 being used for Crysis 2 and the capabilities that game engine provides, it allows us to make the most realistic simulation possible. We’re able to transport soldiers to accurately recreated locales like Afghanistan and Iraq, where we can simulate everything from visuals to 360-degree sound.”
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

JPController wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:Uh... fanboy attack (not you JPController, I mean the company brabbling heads). CryEngine can't do half of what UE can do with particles and tries to make a huge fuzz with broken screen-space algorithm XYZ. Not that UE is a lot better than CryEngine. It's just this behavior that started me long time ago making a game engine not prone to all this crap to begin with. Some of the comments in that article are point on right. The kind of childish "my tech-penis is larger than yours" is so yesterday it's just laughable. Especially seeing how the actual games coming out of the companies are so boring you ask yourself if tech-development is the only thing these companies can do nowadays. Looks like making fun games is soooooo yesterday for them ;)

I am so glad I have never read them. Never innovate for innovations sake.
Oh and did you know that the U.S. Military is using CE3 for a simulator?
http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/27/us-army ... yengine-3/
Called the Dismounted Soldier Training System (DSTS) and in development from Intelligent Decisions, the simulator allows the Army to train using a videogame environment with real weather effects, squad-based interactions, and motion sensor tech.

What we’re trying to do with infantry squad-level training is suspension of disbelief, and the CryEngine 3 is the best video game technology on the market today,” said Floyd West, director of strategic programs, Orlando Division of Intelligent Decisions.

“With CryEngine 3 being used for Crysis 2 and the capabilities that game engine provides, it allows us to make the most realistic simulation possible. We’re able to transport soldiers to accurately recreated locales like Afghanistan and Iraq, where we can simulate everything from visuals to 360-degree sound.”
Yeah, and before that they used Quake for training. CryEngine is soooooo special :? I always thought the UE guys are the one with the biggest ePenis but the CE guys just too the top in that discipline. Or maybe it's German high-nosedness at work (more likely :no: )
JPController
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by JPController »