Discuss the game Trespasser here!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers

LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Antispam: No

Re: Remaking Trespasser

Post by LtSten »

Looking pretty damn awesome, there. Really very very nice indeed.. Can't wait to see more progress, good work! :D
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Some new stuff done,been building a cable car system that visitors would use to get to into the mountain valley.The mountain was too steep for the monorail so I added a sort of station where guests from the beach construction would travel via monorail past the brachiosaurus and to a cable car station,then up the mountain to the next station which leads through velociraptor territory. I'm going to add a sort of mini visitor centre at the cable car outlook point,when you play you have to walk up the mountain though and through the first broken security fencing in the game.
Attachments
the 2nd platform,needs some more variation.
the 2nd platform,needs some more variation.
Jurassic park trespasser skyline.jpg (300.01 KiB) Viewed 11420 times
still need to attach a cable car
still need to attach a cable car
jurassic park trespasser skyline platform.jpg (289.85 KiB) Viewed 11420 times
General Kenobi
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by General Kenobi »

I love the cable car idea, Can't believe I never thought of it. The details look amazing.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

IIRC, Rebel thought of it long ago, but never finished it and abandoned the project...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Wasn't there a cable car in the Four Towers level? I don't remember exactly though, it's been probably 5-6 years if not more since I played it.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

I haven't actually tried any of the mods yet,I played through the game once and am playing through again as I'm working and taking screen-shots as I build stuff.One thing that hit me was how much space I have to fill,its hard to tell from the images I've posted because they are from in the program and not the game but something like the skylift takes up a tiny bit of space and its very steep/long walk up the mountain to there.I need to come up with more ideas for areas to fill but am enjoying it.Hopefully I will be able to make a quick video showing things soon and then a release some kind of demo also.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

hppav wrote:Wasn't there a cable car in the Four Towers level? I don't remember exactly though, it's been probably 5-6 years if not more since I played it.
Yep, a "proto-cable car", so to speak... nothing fancy (made with what could be found on retail Tres levels at the time) but it worked fine.

Yet another reason to love that level.

vagrantart wrote:I haven't actually tried any of the mods yet,I played through the game once and am playing through again as I'm working and taking screen-shots as I build stuff.One thing that hit me was how much space I have to fill,its hard to tell from the images I've posted because they are from in the program and not the game but something like the skylift takes up a tiny bit of space and its very steep/long walk up the mountain to there.I need to come up with more ideas for areas to fill but am enjoying it.
I ran into the same situation while working on my Pens level... and that's not even the whole island! But I could add things here and there that fitted each location "naturally", so to speak.
Hopefully I will be able to make a quick video showing things soon and then a release some kind of demo also.
Waiting to see that...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

vagrantart wrote:One thing that hit me was how much space I have to fill,its hard to tell from the images I've posted because they are from in the program and not the game but something like the skylift takes up a tiny bit of space and its very steep/long walk up the mountain to there.I need to come up with more ideas for areas to fill but am enjoying it.
This is the reason why i haven't started doing what your doing. Its very easy to loose many hours very early in development, building areas and making it look good, then when you come back to that area later, you realize it needs to be changed or moved. I'm going to go over the entire island first and make all my new areas, then work on making them look good. If the ideas don't work and flow nicely with the rest of the island, its not too late to change them or remove them all together.

Things are look good though mate, that cable car looks really cool!

In my original story for my project, it revolved around an old man who lived on the island and he had a cable car that lead from a compound he lived in to a look out built on a steep hill near by. The cable car only ran about half the length of yours, and isn't part of the current story, but i always liked the idea of it.

Cable cars are awesome, at the start of last year, my girlfriend and i went to Tasmania for a few weeks and rode the longest cable car in the southern hemisphere, it was awesome!
I'll upload a photo i took from the cable car after i download the right software. Sigma foveon sensors are beautiful, but require sigma software. I sold my sigma gear ages ago and dont have the software discs.. doh.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

I think the areas that have the most dinosaurs are probably going to be the hardest to fill just because they wouldn't have buildings there,I might add the plantation house somewhere but not sure what it purpose really was.I'm kind of going with the idea that if site A was the theme park then site B is the safari since noticed the hotel billboard it isn't too much of stretch,also was thinking some lookout towers placed through the map.Image is the first major gate not exactly like the film version and I still need to re-texture the wall with better size texture and finish it off.
Attachments
jurassic park gate first fence .jpg
jurassic park gate first fence .jpg (146.34 KiB) Viewed 11373 times
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Site B was focused mainly on research. Though in Trespasser, Hammond was preparing the place for visiting scientists and business men. The General Public would get Site A while the real experts would see Site B. In the movies, Site B was never meant to be public or open to visiting scientists. It's one of the places where Trespasser diverges from established canon.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
Wajas
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by Wajas »

I do think DWI rather went "off reservation" at times with the canon. They didn't really pay much attention to it really, which seems a slight shame. They cherry-picked a lot of cool stuff from the books (company names and the like from the Crichton novels) but also carried over the dates of events (the original book being set in 1989), which didn't match up with the movies. Immensely nerdish thing to complain about, I'll admit, but it did always bother me a little!
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

This really is exciting work being done with this particular project, and even by a newcommer! And such fast progress! I will be amazed to play this version of Trespasser! However, I saw that you also once tried to do this with a Site A version (Isla Nublar). Do you still plan to do this someday, maybe make it more like the novel version since everyone else is trying to make it like the films? It still blows my mind everyone tries to mimic the films when the novels came first and are far more interesting, in my opinion. They also have a LOT more to them for creation, and besides, with the films, it is already realized visually. The novel isn't really, except in the movie itself.

However, with this Trespasser remake, not to plant my own work, but you should perhaps give a listen to Jurassic Time to hear Hammond's words on what everything was like. Do you plan on implementing the voiceovers in the game, too? Both Anne and Hammond, or maybe just Hammond so the player can be anyone? Hmm. :)
jetblack
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by jetblack »

Good God, man, this is astounding. You're doing some amazing work! Keep it up!
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

Thanks for the comments,they really help keep me motivated.When I was first thinking of doing something based on Jurassic park I thought site A but think I was put off by the amount of people who had already started work on it,I didn't want to have to build stuff like the visitor centre and worry about it being all exact.I haven't read the books in a long time and cant really remember descriptions that well,if anything stood out though that might be cool to add to this let me know.I hadn't heard of Jurassic time before downloading it now so will give it a listen,putting John Hammond's voice into the game would be very easy actually and only take a few mins and a bit of adjusting.Latest images are of a bamboo guest house,the style and design are roughly based on a concept I saw looking through the making of Jurassic park book that was unused,the big wood areas will have the rooms on them and it will be located near the beach but off the more linear path.
Attachments
the guest house is sitting on a small cliff edge overlook everything.
the guest house is sitting on a small cliff edge overlook everything.
trespasser hotel model.jpg (147.55 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
jp bamboo hotel.jpg
jp bamboo hotel.jpg (125.54 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Wow that is also amazing! I'm loving your designs.

As for Jurassic Time, make sure you download Version 2.0. It is a better presentation than my original version and it features some dialogue that was only found in the beta version of Trespasser.

http://jurassictime.trescom.org/version2.0.html

Btw, if you need any assistance getting a good rip of all of Hammond's, or even Anne's dialogue from the game (both retail and beta versions), let me know and I'll assist you in that. Then you can just take all of those files and place them accordingly wherever you want. :)

I hope after you do Trespasser that you actually do go back and do some kind of Site A game that is actually more closely related to the novel. You could actually use the Making of Jurassic Park book for more inspiration to look like that. A lot of the concept art in there really did feel like it belonged to the novel, including some art of different versions of the Visitor Center that look quite different than the film version. I think people would be thrilled to see that stuff in an interactive form. Remember that in the novel Site A was more complete than in the film. Maybe even make the river area with the infamous Rex VS raft scene, haha, or the Pteratops Lodge the way it was envisioned in the novel (much smaller, with the raft just flowing through it underneath the cage). Sorry to go on ultra-suggestive mode for a future project, but I think with your talent you could do something amazing with that which I have always wanted to see done by someone but everyone else is too interested in being the "film version". Hell, we already got Telltale's Jurassic Park game that went by film canon, as flawed as it is. ;)